Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb Anyone?

I am at a stall. I know initally I lost a good bit fast (banded 3/1/06 and have lost total of 42lbs) but for the last 4 weeks (since I had my first adjustment 4/19) I haven't lost a bit. I am exercising at least every other day (this is what will work for me forever) and documenting EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth on Fitday.com (even my Calcium chews, Benefiber, Prostat). I started journaling on 5/2. There have been 3 days I had below 1000 calories but all other days I've been able to increase to between 1100 and 1360 calories. I, like some of you, am not a morning eater but have been doing the Breakfast thing to get things started in the a.m. Thing is, the last 2 weeks I've really been good about eating whole grain, soy, Protein (never did have a problem with the protein), but have noticed as I've started doing the "healthier" things my carb counts have really gone up and up. Mind you, I'm not looking at sugars as I have trace amounts each day but am wondering if anyone out there has incorporated the low carb plan into the lap band?

I am restricted some, but I will be getting another adjustment in the next 2-3 weeks. I can tolerated ANYTHING I put in my mouth right now but again, have tried to intake healthier foods. I DO NOT want to "start a diet" but am interested in making whatever changes I need to to get the "furnace burning" again. I have to be realistic and know that I have been on diets that have worked (for a while) where I was working out 2-2.5hrs a day and can't do that at this or future point of my life... forever is the key word. I know I can do at least 3 -4 days/wk for life. I don't want to get Gung-Ho and then burn myself out to where I hate it (although I did get addicted to working out before.. I'd come home from the 2hr workout and go running again!!! :doh:

I know the thinking behind the low carb diet is that your body burns fats first for energy and uses carbs secondary. Whatever carbs are not used are stored as fat (after converting to sugars). The only thing I don't like about low carb is that everything is so high fat. I just can't get beyond that. Seems like to me that if you burn fat first then the less the better and then you can start using the carbs.. still the less the better.. but 20gms a day? I'm just a lot confused about what I can do to get those fires buring again!!! :help:

I know there are some experts out there. I need you!!!!

Celeste

Banded in Germany 3/1/06

308/266

I get the bandster Protein thing, Protein is important and it makes you feel more satisfied. I get the thinking behind low gi eating - that white sugary processed carbs are poison for your body and we just dont need em. I think cutting out processed food and replacing it with wholegrains is a great thing.

But I really am very anti low carb diets like Atkins. There is no scientific evidence that supports this way of eating and the reasoning in the books etc has never been proven. You're right in that it's high fat and its likely to do your body damage in the long run. Your body needs carbs to function efficiently and ALL excess calories you eat, in whatever form are stored as fat, not just carbs.

I think you're sensible in your approach to keep your eating relaxed and not get so carried away with a program that you get fed up with it. In the long run it really just comes down to calories in versus calories out and when you stop losing it really only means one of two things - that you've hit a natural plateau which will eventually pass or that you're ready for another fill because you've started eating enough or your body's energy needs have dropped enough that the calories in/out balance needs redressing.

Hi Celeste!

I agree with Jacqui about the carbs - there's nothing wrong with healthy carbs - it's just about getting the crap out of our diets. A low carb diet is actually based on the premise that the body uses carbs for energy first and that if you don't consume many your body has to resort to using it's fat stores. I believe from what I've heard so far the band diet is naturally low in carbs because Protein is eaten first, then veggies, then carbs (ideally healthy ones).

Some advice I've heard recently is to actually increase your calories when you hit a plateau. The idea behind this is that the body has temporarily gone into "starvation" mode and is trying to hold onto all the calories that we consume. Increasing intake by a couple hundred calories of good healthy foods should get the metabolism fired up again and the weight loss rolling.

This does make sense but I've had no personal experience with it. I just think that if I ate less than 1,500 cals a day my body might go into shock cause it's used to a lot more than that right now! Good luck with your continued weight loss and don't panic - it'll start coming off again. It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things and making really wise changes in your lifestyle - they're bound to pay off in the long run!

Andy Liz

Hopefully banded in July with Dr. Rumbaut

I am following the South Beach Diet; it makes the most sense to me and allows healthy carbs in stage 2, which is the long term weight loss stage. My doctor loves the South Beach, he said most health professionals who go on a diet use it. With the band to help with Portion Control, it's a great way to eat healthy and stay on track with weight loss.

I also read recently that plateau's are a natural part of every diet and to expect periods of 1-4 weeks when no weight is lost. The writer claims this is a period of time when the body is looking after other things, liver cleansing etc., and to just continue with your plan and eventually the weight loss will continue. She cautions that people who have a lot to lose 100+ pounds, should expect at least 4-5 plateau periods.

Everyones body is different. Mine adapts to whatever I do unless I mix it up a bit on a regular basis. So I keep my calories to a range that give me quite a bit of variance and every other weekend I don't count calories or sugars I just eat what feels good according to my band keeping the protien first rule.

I only count my calories and my protien. Both of those things have been in good range for me, and I've been losing (after having been stuck for a LONG time).

But you lost so fast initially, that your body may just need to take a moment and readjust. If you don't take bodily measurements, I recommend it, because so often I've seen folks that get stuck for a while after having dropped alot of weight, and they find that their body is changing shape all over the place, and then they start losing again.

Good luck!