Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Pre-op diet where/are you on

I've noticed in posts that there seems to be different variations of the pre op diet from who eats what to how long and if you have to do one at all. I'm supposed to start mine tomorrow as my surgery date is the 19th and that will give me the 2 weeks on the diet. All though when they called to let me know insurance had approved me they had offered me a surgery date of the 13th and had siad that if i started yesterday evening that i should be fine for surgery..

what are the different things folks have been told. I know the reason for the diet but how do you know if your liver truly is huge and what the implications are if you don't stay on the diet for long enough.

what are folks eating for their one meal a day.. and which meal did you choose?

what Protein shakes are the preferred ones to get.. -

Wow...mine was 2 wks. I couldn't have a meal. I drank tea hot and cold, Water, chicken broth, sugar free popcicles, 27 grams of Protein in Protein Drink. I mixed my vanilla with orange. Mixed chocolate with coco pdr just a little mixed with a little banana pdr and stevia. Mine was made with the magic bullet. I put in 6-8 oz Water, crushed iced about a 1/4 c to 1/3 c then two scoops of protein pdr. Run iit through and it was frothy and sweet and substantial. It was hard for 2 wks. And I did have an enlarged liver...xray...I did only have 3 shakes a day about 800-1000 cal a day depending on the cals in your Protein Drink. I got my pro pdr from band dr. I got all four flavors. Choco vanilla banana and orange. Choco went 1st of course. But I had only the four things all day. I didn't watch when I drank except shakes I had 4 hours apart. Make sure your protein has at least 23 or more grams of protein per two scoops. You'll do fine...keep your eyes on the prize...where you from...me? north of tampa florida and I am 63 yrs. Good luck and....be safe...stay strong!

I just joined this forum this week and it may be too late for you but in case anyone else is looking at this posting here is what I did.

First I adjusted my attitude about eating. I took my rule for dating and applied it to eating, it goes like this:

Feelings are not right and they are not wrong they just are. Choose what you will do today and you will have a better tomorrow.

In other words I chose my wife not based on my feelings because my previous dating experiences were with toxic people for me. When it comes to eating I choose what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat. I realized that the taste of food wasn't any different today than it was yesterday so I could begin to apply various techniques to control my eating habits. Portion Control, calorie counting and increasing my H2O intake all became a regular part of every meal. I also decided to consider myself an addict to food. I began praying at every meal to ask for help in identifying when I was full and the strength to stop when I was satisfied not when I was stuffed.

The diet I was given was similar to my eating after the surgery. It focused on Meal Replacement with Protein Shakes that contained 14g of Protein or more and contain no sugar or low sugar with no carbs or as little carbs as possible. I went to Sam's wholesale club and looked at all the shakes they offered and compared before picking one. I chose Pure Protein because I am a man and I didn't want to ingest anything that would add estrogen to my body while I was losing weight.

Being that I am a male in my late 40's I did my research and found out that certain protein forms once ingested help your body produce energy and estrogen a female hormone that men don’t need. I pray you have found this information helpful and please feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

This is my 8th day post-op so I pray everything goes well for you on your new journey.

I will be starting my pre op diet on 9/20. I am scared tho of not being able to eat anything for 14 days. At least you get to eat something more than shakes. I would like to stay in contact with you if it's o more than giving each other support if you don't mind. GOOD LUCK on your journey.

Yes, that would be great. We can be band buddies. I am with you I am a little scared about falling off and cheating while on the diet. We have come so far and we can not blow it now. We can do this!!! :-)

I will be starting my pre op diet on 9/20. I am scared tho of not being able to eat anything for 14 days. At least you get to eat something more than shakes. I would like to stay in contact with you if it's o more than giving each other support if you don't mind. GOOD LUCK on your journey.

Yes, that would be great. We can be band buddies. I am with you I am a little scared about falling off and cheating while on the diet. We have come so far and we can not blow it now. We can do this!!! :-)

I just joined this forum this week and it may be too late for you but in case anyone else is looking at this posting here is what I did.

First I adjusted my attitude about eating. I took my rule for dating and applied it to eating' date=' it goes like this:

Feelings are not right and they are not wrong they just are. Choose what you will do today and you will have a better tomorrow.

In other words I chose my wife not based on my feelings because my previous dating experiences were with toxic people for me. When it comes to eating I choose what I eat, when I eat and how much I eat. I realized that the taste of food wasn't any different today than it was yesterday so I could begin to apply various techniques to control my eating habits. Portion Control, calorie counting and increasing my H2O intake all became a regular part of every meal. I also decided to consider myself an addict to food. I began praying at every meal to ask for help in identifying when I was full and the strength to stop when I was satisfied not when I was stuffed.

The diet I was given was similar to my eating after the surgery. It focused on meal replacement with Protein shakes that contained 14g of Protein or more and contain no sugar or low sugar with no carbs or as little carbs as possible. I went to Sam's wholesale club and looked at all the shakes they offered and compared before picking one. I chose Pure Protein because I am a man and I didn't want to ingest anything that would add estrogen to my body while I was losing weight.

Being that I am a male in my late 40's I did my research and found out that certain protein forms once ingested help your body produce energy and estrogen a female hormone that men don’t need. I pray you have found this information helpful and please feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

This is my 8[sup']th[/sup] day post-op so I pray everything goes well for you on your new journey.

Good luck on your journey and congrats on getting banded. I will be getting banded on 10/10 and am looking forward to it. I have started changing my eating habits already but am getting a little anxious over the pre op diet but I am sure I will be fine. Congrats again.

Good luck on your journey and congrats on getting banded. I will be getting banded on 10/10 and am looking forward to it. I have started changing my eating habits already but am getting a little anxious over the pre op diet but I am sure I will be fine. Congrats again.

Kphoping- you'll do just fine. All the jitters are from the unknown. Study everything online here and through doctor. Here there are many many that have been where u r now. We all started at the same place. And now losing weight. Preop is to help rid toxins as I was tild and then post op diet has to do with learning how to eat again and change your mindset about eating. These are very important lessons to learn. I'm 6 weeks out from preop and learning yet how to chew my food and slow it down so your not scarfing it down which with the band you really can't. Chew chew chew. Slowly and very small bites. It's worth it. I've lost on average a 1/2 lb a day for 6 weeks and haven't had my first fill yet which is due on 10-2. So good luck. Look through all the posts grab what you can the rest ask questions. We are here for our journey but also here for our fellow banders or soon to be banded. Welcome!!