Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Pre-op diet where/are you on

I've noticed in posts that there seems to be different variations of the pre op diet from who eats what to how long and if you have to do one at all. I'm supposed to start mine tomorrow as my surgery date is the 19th and that will give me the 2 weeks on the diet. All though when they called to let me know insurance had approved me they had offered me a surgery date of the 13th and had siad that if i started yesterday evening that i should be fine for surgery..

what are the different things folks have been told. I know the reason for the diet but how do you know if your liver truly is huge and what the implications are if you don't stay on the diet for long enough.

what are folks eating for their one meal a day.. and which meal did you choose?

what Protein shakes are the preferred ones to get.. -

Since my BMI was right near the 50 mark they wanted me to do 3 weeks of 5 Protein shakes a day, plus Clear liquids.

That lasted all of about 3 days. It was hell!!! Fortunately I was able to modify it to 3 shakes plus one low carb meal. I've been eating my meal late in the day, so I have something to look forward to and so I can go to bed relatively full.

As for what I've been eating, it's been most of the usual suspects for low carb diets--meats, green veggies, eggs, low fat cheese. I'm so happy to be eating ANYTHING that it all tastes awesome to me. Since I've switched over to the one meal, I actually feel pretty fantastic most of the time.

We've liked the Premier Protein Shakes from costco. We've had Muscle Milk light when we got caught in a pinch and needed to grab something from a convenience store. Our doctor recommended Bariatric Advantage, but I found them absolutely disgusting. Some people love them, though. It's totally subjective.

I know the goal of the diet is to help shrink the enlarged, fatty liver that many obese people have. My doctor seems really conservative about it, other people have said their doctors were much more loose, saying that they'd never had any trouble doing anyone's surgery and putting their patients on short pre-op diets or none at all.

The way I'm looking at it is that I'd be really, really, really ticked if I got to my surgery and they couldn't do it because of my liver. My doctor wants me on the diet, it hasn't been too hard to live with, and so I'll just muddle through it because I'd feel terrible if I didn't follow the plan and the surgery couldn't happen. At least if I do the diet and something goes wrong I'll know it wasn't my "fault", you know?

Good luck getting ready for your surgery!

I will be starting my pre op diet on 9/26 and I get to eat 4 oz of lean meat, 2 cups of non starchy vegetables, 2 oz of low fat dairy 2 to 3 Protein Drinks or shakes to equal 80 grams if Protein and consume 64 ounces of Water. I am nervous about the diet and I hope I don't fail. I am going to try very hard to stick to it since I have waited so long and went through everything to get approved for surgery.

I forgot I will also be in the diet for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your reply i'm pretty much in the same space.. i don't wnat anything for any reason to prevent me from having the surgery completed. and thoought of them haveing to stop becuase of something i have control over would be crazy.. the diet i was told to go on was 2 protien shakes and 1 healthy meal a day. i was thinking the same thing that i would save the meal for the end of the day. it's easier to distract myself while at work and having that to look forward to when i get home should make it easier to manage.. Starting the diet tomorrow :)

I started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday. For 7 days I am allowed 3-4 Protein Shakes, chicken broth, and sugar free Jello. Yesterday was a breeze, but today has been hell. I've had a terrible headache & the shakes all day long. My body is getting me back for the years of an unhealthy lifestyle. I am not feeling very hungry, but physically it is taking a toll on me. I am hoping that the next few days will get better.

Best advice is learn to love it, because you will be revisiting a version of it many times. After surgery, after fills and for me after a stuck episode when I don't feel like risking normal stuff. Use this time to experiment and find flavors you like.

AZ Gary is right I did 2 Protein Shakes (musle milk) a day and a huge salad with lemon & distilled vineagar for 2 weeks yes I also got really bad headaches it was y body adjusting it does get better I also drank a Lot of Water with a little lemon so I would stay full then when post op came around bout a week later I was crying and had a break down cause I wanted food and my family would be cooking so I would smell the food and want some but I payed to much money to be healyhy so I just went to my room and had my Jello, pudding or popsicles and just took my meds and cried and went to sleep cause to watch TV it seemed like all the commercials or TV shows had mentioned food but you do get through it and it does get better and when your able to eat solids only have a bit or you will get REALLY uncomfortable I will be a yr, end of Sept. and I just found a Protein Drink called Core that has 26 grams of Protein their pretty tasty and will keep you satisfied for a bit , but I still like musle milk cause it is lactose free as I sometimes have problems with some dairy. good luck and I think you can take Tylenol.

I was so embarrassed of myself - I am going to be banded on Thursday - 9/12. I'm on pre-band diet - liquid all day until supper where I'm allowed Protein (chicken or fish) and as much plain vegetable as I want. Was ok with everything until 4:00 pm - I wasn't at home to drink my Protein shake for lunch and I was starving ! My husband and I went to grocery store and I got a rotisserie chicken - I literally had the bag of chicken in my lap eating from it in my way home. After I got home I prepared my salad and just added a little more chicken.

I was so embarrassed - my husband didnt care but I was literally in pain from hunger. Note to self - drink Protein Shake before going out - lol - oh well!

I was so embarrassed of myself - I am going to be banded on Thursday - 9/12. I'm on pre-band diet - liquid all day until supper where I'm allowed Protein (chicken or fish) and as much plain vegetable as I want. Was ok with everything until 4:00 pm - I wasn't at home to drink my Protein shake for lunch and I was starving ! My husband and I went to grocery store and I got a rotisserie chicken - I literally had the bag of chicken in my lap eating from it in my way home. After I got home I prepared my salad and just added a little more chicken.

I was so embarrassed - my husband didnt care but I was literally in pain from hunger. Note to self - drink Protein Shake before going out - lol - oh well!

I get banded on sept 12 too! Best wishes to you!

Same to you! I'm a little nervous but to be honest just trying to get through this liquid diet. I have 4 kids (2 still at home) and married - I cooked 3 meals today and I did ok - but it's a little hard ;) I hope you do well - I would love to keep in touch with you & see how we both do - since our surgery is same day ;) take care ! I weigh 240 before liquid diet - probably down around 4 pounds. I have to lose about 90 or so pounds :) trying to be accountable lol

Same to you! I'm a little nervous but to be honest just trying to get through this liquid diet. I have 4 kids (2 still at home) and married - I cooked 3 meals today and I did ok - but it's a little hard ;) I hope you do well - I would love to keep in touch with you & see how we both do - since our surgery is same day ;) take care ! I weigh 240 before liquid diet - probably down around 4 pounds. I have to lose about 90 or so pounds :) trying to be accountable lol

I will be starting my pre op diet on 9/26 and I get to eat 4 oz of lean meat' date=' 2 cups of non starchy vegetables, 2 oz of low fat dairy 2 to 3 Protein drinks or shakes to equal 80 grams if Protein and consume 64 ounces of Water. I am nervous about the diet and I hope I don't fail. I am going to try very hard to stick to it since I have waited so long and went through everything to get approved for surgery.[/quote']

I will be starting my pre op diet on 9/20. I am scared tho of not being able to eat anything for 14 days. At least you get to eat something more than shakes. I would like to stay in contact with you if it's o more than giving each other support if you don't mind. GOOD LUCK on your journey.

I get banded on sept 12 too! Best wishes to you!

I get banded in 8 hours :) im so anxious I cant sleep. I found 2 other people with the same "band birthday". We should totally keep I touch and stay updated with each other's progress and be around for advice and support. Good luck to the both of you. Happy Band Birthday.

Thank you so much! I hope everything went well for you yesterday. I was supposed to have surgery yesterday 12th but my surgeon had an emergency - so in on my way now;) Friday the 13th - lol ;) best wishes to you & we should keep up with each other ;)