Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my band on Aug 26th. I've had a hard time with every intake. I've actually only really had Water, a little Protein Shakes here & there and some Soups. But the pain when I intake anything hurts soo bad. It's like heartburn mixed with reflux but its so sharp and unbearable. Makes me barely want anything. This morning I had a few bites of my sons apple sauce. Then a hour later drank some water & I'm having feeling like I need to burp & I've tried to make myself but can't then out of nowhere my jaws get tight & I start gagging. Is this normal?

No it is not normal. I just spent 3 days in the hospital because I waited way to long to see my surgeon. Call your Doc immediately. Sounds like your band it to tight with all the internal swelling you are having. Be safe! Keep me posted. Not in-taking will cause dehydration and that is what got me. I had mine done on the 16th and still have a lot of swelling.

I did and still waiting to be called back. It hurts bad.

feel better and keep us updated

BTW many bandsters can not eat in the early am.

You are not a week out yet, you are still swollen, some people are more swollen more than others.

Most people do:

1 week clears - broth, popsicles, Jello, Water crystal lite

2 weeks full liquids - Protein drinks, thin Soups, cream of wheat, etc.

3 weeks mushies - pureed tuna, chicken & egg salad, refried beans/cheese, apples sauce.

4 weeks, soft foods like baked fish, soft veggies, veggie casseroles, etc.

The things you are experiencing IS normal post op healing, but you are probably making it worse by progressing your food too quick.

Also if you can't get any room temp liquids down, while slowly sipping, it is NOT normal, and you need to call your surgeon ASAP and let them know, you could easily get dehydrated..

Careful with gagging, if you have a gag reflux and easy to throw up, you need to find a way to stop this right now, because frequent vomiting and the lap band will be a nightmare, don't even get used to gagging unless you don't mind band slippage in the future.

Also stay away from anything cold like milkshakes, I know you did not mention it but many people will do this, and smoothies.

Healing IS VERY IMPORTANT, your band needs to set in place and heal properly and you don't want to vomit, you could slip your band before it heals, so take it easy..

Most surgeons give patients PPi's like Prevacid or anti-nausea meds to help with any acid issues and nausea since trauma was done to your stomach.

You will probably feel better if you sip room temp Water, constantly, and eat teaspoons of broth or Jello frequently since you can't get down much.

Always progress your food as tolerated, if you can't tolerate any type of food, don't do it, and go back a previous phase until you are fully recovered.

Slow down, and take it easy and you will do fine.

Good luck

I was banded 8/26 as well and that sounds quite a bit different from my experience. I'm eating/drinking Protein Shakes, yogurt, small curd cottage cheese, and blended Soups with no problems. 1/2 to 2/3rds of a cup at a time, 4 times a day. My doc doesn't put any saline in the band at surgery. I agree it sounds like maybe some was added and you are experiencing extra swelling. Good luck, I hope it gets better soon!!

I was also banded 8/26 and that sounds different

Everyone's experience will be different, some people never get restriction until 1 year post op, where some have tight restriction right out from surgery and never need a fill.

The thing she should be concerned about is not able to get down any liquids, at this point, if she can, she could be progressing her diet too soon.

Dr gave me some new meds that helped me but I was vomiting none stop for over a hour til I could take them. Worst thing ever & my dr gave me a list of foods to have and he said baby food was good and that's what I had was baby food apple t& that'a now on my no no list. Feeling better now he said if nothing helps I will go in and get a unfill tomorrow. I'm feeling better now tho.

Glad you are feeling better!

I had to have all 4cc's taken out of mine until my swelling goes down so my pouch won't close up. I am nervous to have Fluid put back in as sick as I was.

Dr gave me some new meds that helped me but I was vomiting none stop for over a hour til I could take them. Worst thing ever & my dr gave me a list of foods to have and he said baby food was good and that's what I had was baby food apple t& that'a now on my no no list. Feeling better now he said if nothing helps I will go in and get a unfill tomorrow. I'm feeling better now tho.

Most surgeons "Prime" the band with a little saline during installation, priming is really not filling the band, surgeons do this to make sure that the band is working, and there are no defects or leaks, prior to installing it inside of you, and they usually leave a very small amount in, for example, with my first band .1cc was left in with my 4cc band , and with my second AP small band .5cc was left after priming.

With my first band, I was VERY restricted, I did not go through bandster hell, because I had tight restriction right out of surgery and lost 40 pounds in 2 months.

However, with my second AP band that was installed last November, I had a bigger band and had more priming Fluid of .5cc, and I had NO restriction after about 3 weeks post op, and it was very annoying because I did not get restriction with my second band until about 5 months post op.

Many post op newbies, really are not experienced enough to deal with tight restriction right out of surgery, most do not have any restriction until a few fills, and this gives them time to learn their new eating, you must do this now, and take the time to chew your food to mush, and take pea size bites, this can be overwhelming for a new post, but you MUST learn to slow way down to prevent vomiting, and when I say this...you need to take heed because band slippage is real and can happen if you do not control your vomiting, especially before your band heals.

So enjoy your restriction and use it to your advantage and get weight off quickly, because many others will have to wait for months to feel any type of restriction.

Good you are feeling better.

Good luck

Good to know your feeling better, don't let your self get dehydrated though hun.... I did and it put me back in hospital...but a week later and wow what a difference. No matter how pants it gets at the moment or the 'OMG what have I done' feeling.... We can all promise you, it will get better. X hugs x