Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery....Have you reached goal and don't need it???

So many of us are looking at plastic surgery when we reach goal. As I look at how my body is shaping up with my weight loss I keep thinking I'm going to need it. The idea of having it is not that pleasing.

So, I would like to hear from anyone within a good distance of their goal and what they are thinking about plastic surgery. I really don't want it, but I didn't lose this weight to have an apron of lose skin around my girl parts. :confused:

I am exercising vigoriously, taking lots of supplement, getting enough Protein, yada yada yada. Just FYI.

Should I expect this to be the next logical step????

Hi Vanessa,

I probably could have done without it. With my clothes on, I looked pretty good. But I had the hanging pannus and the saggy thighs and opted to have them surgically altered. I really wanted to have a flat tummy instead of the sag there. Besides, I had two babies C section. Nothing like turning back the clock. It really depends on what you personally feel you can live with or without. I probably could have done without it, but I really wanted to and my insurance paid for 2/3 of it, so why not???

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

I'm halfway, have about 40lb to go, so who can really be sure, but I have a relatively flat stomach now, its not saggy or loose or spare at all - and i"ve had 3 babies. I dont have any stretch marks. I'll eat my hat if I need a Tummy Tuck, its always been pretty much the last place I gain weight and whilst I've never had a washboard flat stomach, its fine as it is. I wasnt that overweight (less than 80lb) and wasnt that fat for very long either and I'm also only 38.

My boobs are a different story but they're not really worse than they were before, I've always been large breasted and that means saggy, particularly as I've breastfed for 6 years in total. I may get a lift but I dont know that its certain I will, they look OK trussed up when I'm dressed and I dont really care that much to be honest, how many people am I going to be parading round naked in front of? You can buy so much swimwear with underwire these days too.

Jachut,

You give me hope. Thanks. I never expected to have a "tight body" or washboard stomach, but as I've been watching my breasts get looser and saggier I thought maybe I'd have to have a lift once I get to goal. Yes, they look O.K. when in a bra and I'll have to get a good swimsuit with support to hold them high and dry. But, you said it pretty well. I'm 35 and who the heck am I going to be parading around naked in front of? My husband is the only one and he's already seen the goods.

In answer to vluckey's original question.......NO, I don't think that plastic surgery is the next logical step for everyone. I think it's very individual on how much weight you lost, where you were carrying it and what your personal expectations are of your own body. There may be other considerations as well, are your loose skin folds giving you grief such as rashes or infections because of moisture, etc?

I agree, it's a completely personal decision and no matter what one thinks about PS in general, the real fact is you won't know until you get there. I personally have never wanted plastic surgery, and as things stand now I'm OK with the way I look. But if I lose another 30-40 lbs (which I "should"), I'd be surprised if my attitude didn't change a bit. The loose skin I have now is not too bad, but if I lose more weight I think I'd have serious batwings and tummy skin that could cause problems.

Of course, another big consideration is money. Unless there are medical problems caused by loose skin, insurance won't cover plastic surgery. So just "wanting" it isn't enough--I'd have to be able to afford it. And that's a whole 'nother story.

So far, this would be purely for estetics. In other words, no rashes or other issues yet. I still have quite a ways to go though. How do you get insurance to pay for it?

I keep forgetting that I will hopefully have another baby here in the next year or two, so I need to live in the moment and stop obsessing about the future and what my belly will look like.

You know, when I lost 50lbs 4 years ago the "traditional" way, I NEVER thought about plastic surgery. Do you think it is more common with bariatric patients because we've already taken the surgical plunge????

i've always thought about getting my boobs done even before this surgery because I am just so lopsided and my pointed south from the day they grew, but I haven't yet thought about the tummy thing although I have had two kids and one c-section so I am not ruling it out.

.......maybe I can find a small tribe that needs a skin-tent donation....:bandit

Jack!!!!! You slay me!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I'll have PS or not. I haven't even had the band placed yet (hoping for July) but I'll just wait and see when I get to that point. I read somewhere on the internet that banded patients lose weight slowly enough that the skin is better able to accomodate the changes and that unless your original BMI was 45 or above it most likely won't be necessary.

However, I think many things play a part in this. As for me, most of my weight is carried in my upper body (belly) and my hips and legs are fairly slim. So I'm thinking I'm going to have quite an apron as I reach goal. My desire is not and never has been to look hot in a bikini so as long as I can be healthy and do more of the things I enjoy I don't think I'll mind a little extra skin. If I do get a big ole flap on my stomach though - it just might have to come off. We'll see!

Continued success to you all and be sure to take pictures of your before and after if you decide to do surgery. I love looking at all the successes!

Andy

I went in to see PS dr on may 9th with the point of having Tummy Tuck and breast lift bat wing surgery after I get the $$ 14 k worth of money.. I went in and found he wont cut on me just Lipo for belly thighs and arms and then a breast lift he will do, he called it a vertical something breast lift. Still 14k but instead of tummy and boobs its 14k for tummy boobs butt and thighs I still have to save up the $ and I have 50 pounds til goal so he may change his mind on tt by then (hope not) I thinkit really depends on the persons jeans, and skin elastic.