Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband or sleeve?

I am considering WLS and really need some straight answers from those of you that have experienced the band. I have read sooo much on both surgeries and have looked at the good , the bad, and the ugly. The sleeve has me scared because if in the next 10-20 yrs something happens to me like getting sick or cancer, I will not have a stomach to withstand treatments since it is not reversible. However I have also read that so many with the band has reverted to the sleeve because of no success. I know that both are considered a TOOL for weightloss and like all programs, if you don't work the program correctly, it won't work. So my question is to you -- do any of you regret getting the lapband and if so, why?

I just past my 7th year "Banniversary".

I have had no regrets at all about getting the lapband. It it's a great tool.

It changed my life. I started with a 54" waist... now a 30" waist.

If you would like to email me to ask question or if you would like to chat on the phone I'd be happy to call you... I have free long distance and would be happy answer any questions you have.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

EM: tomander@bell.net

I am considering WLS and really need some straight answers from those of you that have experienced the band. I have read sooo much on both surgeries and have looked at the good ' date=' the bad, and the ugly. The sleeve has me scared because if in the next 10-20 yrs something happens to me like getting sick or cancer, I will not have a stomach to withstand treatments since it is not reversible. However I have also read that so many with the band has reverted to the sleeve because of no success. I know that both are considered a TOOL for weightloss and like all programs, if you don't work the program correctly, it won't work. So my question is to you -- do any of you regret getting the lapband and if so, why?[/quote']

I love the band. July was 1 year for me and no regrets. I look at the sleeve like you said. Your stomach is gone. The band can be fixed, removed whatever. It is a tool, treat it right and it works great.

I had surgery 05.10.13 and at first was disappointed due to my md not giving me fills. My weight stayed the same for 3 weeks and then I started losing. I'm glad I got the band and I'm down 37 lbs. I almost chickened out, but at least I know if I needed to (and I have no intentions) get it removed I could. With the sleeve or bypass youre stuck. I've taken care of several pts in the hospital whove had the other 2 surguries and have suffered lots of complications.

I am glad I got the band. I know to many people who have had gastric bypass and yes they lost quickly but to this day they are still suffering. I also don't like the dumping syndrome that comes with the sleeve and bypass. The band for me was a right choice bc I am in my child bearing years and when I decide to have kids they can make the band bigger so your baby can get all the nutrients. And also if need to be I can get this removed. Which I don't plan on it. My surgery was 7-30-13 I have lost 21 pounds so far. Also with the lap band surgery afterwards when your on your liquid diet then u get more than a bypass patient same goes with your soft foods too. I just think this surgery is less invasive and its laparoscopic. 5 incisions. And it's been a week since my surgery and I feel great. You move faster along with the band it seems that the bypass takes awhile

I had to ask myself those questions too when almost 2 years ago my 3 year old band sprang a leak. In the end, despite having the option of revising to a sleeve, I opted to be rebanded. And the reason is I had great success with the band, I live with it easily and for me, the success of it is known. The sleeve would have been a complete unknown for me, and not a risk I was willing to take.

So yes, you can say I don't regret getting not just one band, but two. :)

I got my band on August 1, 2008. It was the BEST thing I could've done for myself! I lost over 100 pounds and had ZERO regrets.

In the last year and a half, I've gained up to 30 pounds, felt no restriction, and my Dr. and I were stumped.

It wasn't until my THIRD upper GI (this week) that revealed my band has eroded and shifted. I'm so terribly disappointed. My Dr. Suggests removal (of course!) and then switching to the gastric sleeve. When I asked about rebranding, he said his experience with everyone he's rebanded is the erosion again. So now, I have a difficult decision to make.

I chose the band b/c it is completely reversible. I did amazing with it. My Dr. told me his patients that do well with the band, do well with the sleeve after band erosion and is convinced I will do great as well. I'm apprehensive, but most of what I read is positive.

As far as advice, I'd go with the band 100%. Best of luck to you in your WLS journey!

I chose the band based on the reversibility, and relatively lower risk. I am really happy that I have it, I feel like I got my life back and I am losing weight. HOWEVER, in all honesty I wish it were easier. If I were to do it over again, I would probably choose the sleeve. Weight loss with the band is slower and there is a lot of willpower required, plus strict adherence to dietary restrictions. For a lot of folks who are newly banded, we wonder why our meals aren't restricted and why we can still eat everything -- turns out the band is just supposed to make you feel full longer. Unfortunately for me, feeling full or just not hungry was never a prerequisite for abstaining from food in my brain. I find that I have to work at this daily, sometimes I fail, but I am chugging along almost totally fueled by the shame of failure now that way too many people know I had WLS.

I wanted the sleeve, but ended up getting the band... The decision really came down to possible complications, and what level of risk I was willing to tolerate...

There are potential complications with each surgery, but the ones with the sleeve are much more serious and painful. 1% of people who get the sleeve have leaks because the stitches/staples at the top of the stomach don 't fuse closed. Those people are in agony for months. You could be in the hospital for months. There's no way to know if you'll be that 1%.

Roughly 1 in 200 people die from complications with the sleeve.

But only 1 in 2000 die with the band.

For sleevers, even if all goes well, the stomach can stretch over time. there is then no other option but to diet or get a band over the sleeve.

I decided to try the band first, since it was less invasive, and hope all would go well. Knowing that if it didn't, I could switch to the sleeve later.

My best friend got the sleeve. She got to goal quicker, but she's starting to be able to eat a little more now. I'm getting fills and getting tighter, and I'm starting to be able to eat less... It all evens out.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Don't discount the plication. It's an option too. It mimickes the sleeve and more and more drs are doing it. Many here have the lb with plication ( I think they call it the I band). I just have the plication and am doing great;)

Bos123 - so do you think the iband is better for you than the sleeve? How long have the iband?

Keep in mind that long term weight loss success depends as much on patient compliance (including careful food choices and eating skills, Portion Control, consistency with aftercare, resisting emotional and other non-physical eating cues) as it does on the surgical procedure. As I told you on another thread, I think you need to choose the procedure that seems best suited to your weight loss and lifestyle needs. I have the sleeve now and it is much harder to live with than my band was. For me, its only advantage over the band is that it doesn't require fills. Since I never found getting fills to be a terrible burden, I'm hard-pressed now to think of something else nice to say about it, so I'll be on my way now.

One consideration, which should be discussed in depth with your surgeon are any pre-existing medical conditions you have. I was advised that my pre-banding extensive history with reflux ruled me out as a suitable candidate for the sleeve.

Your long term health and well being should be primary with your decision.

No weight loss surgery comes without risks. And all WLS to be successful requires behavioral changes to allow for the success. Changing eating habits, getting your head in the game so you can change your relationship with food, and exercise are all necessary.

It will never be quite as easy to lose weight as it was to gain it. To me, the more I have to focus on diet compliance and exercise to lose weight, the more the lessons of a healthier lifestyle become habits. My weight loss becomes more meaningful to me, and the incentive to keep it off becomes greater.

Just my experience and insights...others mileage does vary.

Bos123 - so do you think the iband is better for you than the sleeve? How long have the iband?

I just have the plication, not the iband so you might want to ask Carolina girl, chez, or toddy how they are doing with theirs. They have both. I am super happy with my plication. To me the after care and diet are similar with all wls generally speaking . So I have many friends that I have made across all three boards to help support in loss and maintaining. The lb was what I was initially going to get. But the after care would have been an issue with me because I live in such a rural area. And the sleeve seemed to permanent just in case lol. So this was a good choice for me. I struggle like many with some

Old issues trying

To sneek in here an there, but overall I am happy. No complications. Elated with the restriction I feel. I was low bmi but have managed to loose 52 odd in 9 mos, putting me 9 pds away from goal. I feel better, am more active, all this has positively affected my depression issues. Fantastic to all those taking the leap of wls faith to turn their lives around. Good luck to you;)