Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have major regrets? I do

Yep, thats right. I do.

I know this is a board of support, and all, but I think people looking into this must get both sides of this procedure.

It is NOT for everyone. Not everyone will loose weight.

It takes work is an understatement. There is a fine line between starving yourself and feeding yourself and you get to tap dance on it.

Mentally I am a wreak. Physically, I am either hungry or down right sick with myself and refuse to allow myself to eat as I will gain.

Yes, I ate. I gained 3 pounds. Focusing on Protein, low fat and low carbs. And I still gained.

I have drank more Water then I ever thought I could get into my body.

I have to take medications (over the counter) to have a BM. I have had two since surgery, and never felt constipatated.

No, I am not 'restricted' yet. But I am already on to that game. This could takes months to happen, and happen right.

Then what? I eat on the level I have been, and due to the restriction I eat less, and loose weight?

I am already in starvation mode.

Starvation mode - let's talk about this. What diet are you NOT in starvation mode?

In order to get the Protein in, and low carbs, low sugar and low fat... what exactly do you eat and fill up on?!

This is that tap dance I was talking about.

I can not get this. I am failing, and I let myself down yet again.

This is insanity and I fought tooth and nail for this for two years. I was just stupid and settled.

Think long an hard if you are considering this. This is not easy. And there is not all that much help out there.

This board can be helpful. I found a good bit of information here. Some nice people too.

When the scale moves up rather then down. Who wouldn't feel the way I am feeling!?

Do I regret this? Yes. In order to make it work I am considering taking diet pills with this. I don't know what else will make this fat go away.

I have kept a daily diary of my intake. I see nothing that I can improve upon. My nutrionist says I need to eat more.

How the hell do you loose weight eating MORE!? especially when you have been told you are putting a band around your stomach to STOP you from eating more/too much!!!!

I am full of regrets. This procedure does not work on everyone. No matter how hard you try, or how by the rules you play it.

MelAnne

The first 6 weeks are about healing, not losing. That should come after your first couple of fills. Now, I am not an expert; I was just banded yesterday, but I have done a tremendous amount of reseaching.

When you get to solids, it should work better. In the meantime take care of your poor stomach and let it heal.

I would talk to your doctor, Maybe he/she sould let you starting more substantial food.

MelAnne,

I'm really sorry that you seem to be suffering so emotionally, but my dear, you are very very new to this experience. You have not given yourself time to heal, let alone begin to lose weight. Take a deep breath, girlfriend and let it go. This is not a race. You have to heal. The weight loss begins when you are healed and you begin to have restriction. You are right. This is not, nor never was a magic pill. This is one weight loss journey you do have to meet halfway. Every single one of us here has had thoughts like you, wondering if we would be the one person this did not work for.

I can promise you one thing. IF you drink your Water, IF you begin to exercise, IF you focus on Proteins and cut out foods such as breads, rice, Pasta and potatoes YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. You WILL NOT lose it all overnight, just as you did not gain it overnight.

Like I said, breathe in, breathe out and DO NOT GIVE UP 3 weeks out, you haven't even begun. Your body is still recovering from surgery, mentally and physically. Sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk and keep moving forward. I PROMISE YOU if you do the things laid out for you, you will be ecstatically cleaning out your closets in 3 months time!!!

Please read everything you can get your hands on here on this site. Try to reframe your focus just for the moment. YOU CAN DO THIS!

MelAnne

The first 6 weeks are about healing, not losing. That should come after your first couple of fills. Now, I am not an expert; I was just banded yesterday, but I have done a tremendous amount of reseaching.

When you get to solids, it should work better. In the meantime take care of your poor stomach and let it heal.

I would talk to your doctor, Maybe he/she sould let you starting more substantial food.

Thank you Stitchy, I appreciate your words of advise and wisdom.

I am on foods. My doctor started me on foods after one week.

I am doubting this whole procedure, and have been being the best bandster I can be. Following the 'diet' and have still managed to GAIN weight, even though I know I am eating less then I did prior to surgery.

MelAnne,

I don't know what to write. I can't say I understand, because I really do not. I am really sorry this has affected your outlook and in generally has you so upset. I do hope you stay with it. I agree that lowering your food intake (particularly breads, Pasta, chips, sodas etc.) and increasing your physical exercise will cause weight loss.

MelAnne,

I'm really sorry that you seem to be suffering so emotionally, but my dear, you are very very new to this experience. You have not given yourself time to heal, let alone begin to lose weight. Take a deep breath, girlfriend and let it go. This is not a race. You have to heal. The weight loss begins when you are healed and you begin to have restriction. You are right. This is not, nor never was a magic pill. This is one weight loss journey you do have to meet halfway. Every single one of us here has had thoughts like you, wondering if we would be the one person this did not work for.

I can promise you one thing. IF you drink your Water, IF you begin to exercise, IF you focus on Proteins and cut out foods such as breads, rice, Pasta and potatoes YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. You WILL NOT lose it all overnight, just as you did not gain it overnight.

Like I said, breathe in, breathe out and DO NOT GIVE UP 3 weeks out, you haven't even begun. Your body is still recovering from surgery, mentally and physically. Sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk and keep moving forward. I PROMISE YOU if you do the things laid out for you, you will be ecstatically cleaning out your closets in 3 months time!!!

Please read everything you can get your hands on here on this site. Try to reframe your focus just for the moment. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Hi Leatha, I am sorry. I just am not buying into this.

I have been eating right. No carbs, no sugar, Water water water and more water. I am focusing on Protein, and can't stand the thought of more chicken or tuna.

I have been doing everything I am supposed to be doing.

I can not do this another three months or MORE - until the restriction is figured out.

Mentally I am not strong enough.

Eating is such a chore, and mental battle within myself, it is just not worth it all.

I am going out of my mind. When do I find some peace, and will I ever be normal again?

I think from a previous post you were eating about 400 calories....try uping that. Try getting in at least 800. I actually shoot for 1000. I know you are getting in Protein, but just like too much calories, you can do too little! On days that I exercise I actually try to get in about 200 more. I've found very recently if I don't do this my weight loss STOPS. Your body needs calories just to do your everyday things, if we eat too little our body just gets more and more efficient and makes things even harder. Have you been released to work out yet? Try starting some exercise, if you can, get some light weights to start working on muscle. You may initially show a gain. Take your measurements and if you see a gain...check your measurements...it probally went down some. Hang in there. This is not a sprint....you CAN do this. I've had my moments when I completely broke down and said "I can't do this" thats when the people of this board have told me I can and tried to help me through it. Good luck.

Melanne, will you please start posting your food journal on this thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5002

Maybe if we can see your journal we can give you some pointers. You do need to make sure you get at least 1000 calories a day. I was only getting 800 at the most for the first few weeks and I felt terrible! Since moving up to 1000 - 1200, I have felt better and consistantly lost 1 - 2 pounds per week. I try to have at least 60 grams of Protein and 25 grams of Fiber. I do not worry about anything but calories, Protein, and Fiber. I have not had to take anymore Milk of Magnesia since focusing on these three things. After my first fill at 6 weeks, I started having more restrictions and not feeling hungry. I hope this encourages you. I felt pretty down-and-out the Saturday after having my surgery because I was dry heaving until the Doc called me some supositories. I thought I had made the biggest most expensive mistake of my life. I got over it and now I know I made the right choice after all.

PS - I love your Sylvester Avator. He is my favorite Looney Toon and I named my Tux cat after him even though she is a girl kitty.

I am going out of my mind. When do I find some peace, and will I ever be normal again?

I liked Leatha's advice.

But, MelAnne, you are of a midset right now that Leatha's advice won't work of you, I don't think. Heck, maybe noone's advice will work, and you just want to moan and groan and be pitiful. I say, go for it! Screw advice, be pitiful! (said with love and understanding, not smart-assed, okay?)

Listen, I was so tight post-surgery, I could barely sip. I didn't get my first fill till 3 months out. All I wanted to do was feel normal again. So I waited, I practiced eating properly, chewing, etc. and I made myself get to where I felt normal again. And it was great. I ate whatever, just a heck of alot less of it. And now I'm a slow loser. I don't care. I'm sane. I get bursts of will-power and get myself into "diet mentality" and make a go of it, but when it gets old? I maintain my weight loss. What I KNOW is that there is no way I could have lost what I have without my band, and ther is no way I could maintain this loss without my band, and if I want to lose more, I need to get off my hiney and follow Leatha's advice. I'll do it in my time.

Hang on. Get you some food in you. Splurge. You need to increase your calories by a few hundred a day and I know it will help you mentally, too. Put the scale away for a bit and concentrate what you KNOW is right to eat to fuel your body, not to lose. For most folks, that's 1200-1400 calories a day or so. Go to www.room42.com and find out your range of calories/fat/carbs/protiens if you don't know already.

EAT!!!!! You'll feel better.

i would encourage you to use www.fitday.com . you have the band installed, you sure don't want to turn around and take it out before you've even seen what it can do for you. you got it for a reason. Is there a possibility that you need to speak with someone regarding post op depression?? What sort of exercise are you doing? How much weight did you anticipate losing in the first 3 weeks? Have you read all the other posts from new folks questioning why they didn't wake up and lose 20 lbs right away?? What can we do to help you reframe your current state of mind??

I should have added I am 5'4" tall so my Doctor recommended 1000 - 1200 calories for me and my height. I downloaded www.Fitday.com and it is the easiest way that I have found to keep up with everything. I am far from perfect at this....I hate exercise, so I don't do it most of the time! If I did exercise, I could eat more calories. I do drink my Water faithfully and count those calories, Protein, and good old fiber.

MelAnne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It hasn't even been six weeks yet, girl!!! MIGAWD...I KNOW it is hard....we were banded at the same timeframe and I'm going thru the same stuff....but....P A T I E N C E is the key. I KNOW you are being a good bandster and doing it all correctly but you may NOT see the results you are looking for right away. That's okay. Remember, this isn't the RNY...this is a long road, a long journey but the destination IS in sight and you just have to focus on that. Just please be paitent and give it a CHANCE to work. Kay? Relax, go with the flow ...just keep on being a good bandster and you will see things will go your way....who cares if it take time....it WILL happen. Breathe. Breathe.

I am feeling like you may benefit from an antidepressant medication. I wish i could send some good sentiment, but i just have my opinion. good luck to you.

Kathy you crack me up. Just stay away from my nutrtionist and you can keep your humor LOL. She has me questioning EVERYTHING. I'm turning into the food police myself. Karah the 6 year old won't eat bread anymore either (this will pass I'm sure)

Melanne, It is frustrating when you feel like you are the only one not loosing the 2lbs a week . Or for me when I start loosing and see a drop on the scale daily then all the sudden boom, no more loss but a gain. I'm 6 months out and I cried like a baby last week because my nutritionist told me I was eating too many sugar grams in my yogurt...amoung other things. Hang in there, sometims your body just needs a rest from loosing. I like the suggestions from the othrs, try fit day, or posting in the daily food journal link. Relax your body can't hang on to the fat forever if you keep eating healthy. Look at as a challange...out stubborn your body.