Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on June 4, 2013. I am down 21 pounds including my pre op liquid diet. I had my first adjustment at 6 weeks after surgery. Have not lost a pound since, which was 3 weeks ago. I actually feel hungrier then I did before the first fill. I'm scheduled to see my doctor tomorrow, but I'm kind of frustrated. I've been exercising three to four times a week. I haven't been drinking with meals and am making smart, healthy meal choices. Any suggestions? I don't want to be stuck at this weight!!!

HI Try to Do This good lock

Liquid Diet(1-2 weeks post-op)

The goal during this phase is to protect the small stomach pouch. Only liquids can be tolerated during this time. It is very important to keep well hydrated during this time period with lots of Water. Other liquids recommended during this phase include:

Clear broth or Soup (no vegetables, meat or poultry)

"Designer" Protein powders (soy, whey)

Carnation Instant Breakfast (no added sugar)

Non-fat powered milk

Skim milk or 1%

sugar free popsicles

Sugar free Jello

Sugar free/non-carbonated drinks or Water less than 5 calories per serving

Drinkable yogurt – sugar free/low fat

pureed Foods (3-4 weeks post op)

During this phase you may start having slightly textured foods, the consistency of baby food. This will help with the transition to more solid foods later. You need to choose Protein rich foods. Eat protein rich foods first, and then move on to fruits and vegetables.

Pureed skinless chicken or fish

Mashed potatoes no milk & butter – not a good source of protein

Cooked pureed vegetables

Low fat or fat free yogurt

Low-fat cottage cheese or low-fat ricotta cheese

Vegetarian refried bean

Low fat cream Soups

It is more important during the first few weeks after surgery to let your stomach adjust to the lap-band system than it is to lose weight. Your timing and progression into each dietary phase may vary.

Soft Foods (5 weeks post-op)

This phase includes tender cooked foods like fish and ground turkey. Make sure you cut your food into small pieces and chew well. If you don’t follow these precautions, you may experience vomiting, stomach irritation and swelling. You can also have stoma obstruction.

eggs or egg substitute

Fish (tuna, shrimp, white fish, or crab)

Chicken, white meat without skin

Turkey, white meat, without skin

Lean Beef (round or loin, ground beef >90% lean)

Lean Pork (tenderloin)

Low fat deli meats

Beans

Peanut Butter or nuts (use sparingly)

No I haven't been counting calories, my portions are still significantly smaller so I want sure if I needed to. I'm also eating a lot healthier than previously. Would counting calories help?

No I haven't been counting calories, my portions are still significantly smaller so I want sure if I needed to. I'm also eating a lot healthier than previously. Would counting calories help?

My best advice is to start tracking your calories. Most people who don't track them are shocked how much they're actually eating. Smaller portions doesn't necessarily mean less calories.

Weight loss really boils down to simple math- when you consume less calories than you burn, you lose weight. Tracking your calories is the easiest way to assure that happens.

What do you suggest for counting calories? Do you measure everything?

I'm not a nutritionist so I can't suggest calories. You'll find a very wide range of calorie allowances for different people here. Make an appointment with your nutritionist so they can help you establish the calorie range that is best for you.

Yes, I measure everything so my food never exceeds one cup per meal.

Melissa, I am experiencing the exact same thing! My doctor told me it was normal.

Melissa' date=' I am experiencing the exact same thing! My doctor told me it was normal.[/quote']

Same here. All part of the healing.

Hi

What may be normal to some is not normal to others, so please take what everyone says with a good grain of salt!

The best advice was given by MIs who said "Count Your Calories".

Even though you are eating healthy and possibly less than before there is no way you can know if you are eating within the proper caloric bounds or not unless you count your calories. Every calorie. You can think you are eating ok and within the necessary guidelines but cant know for sure unless you count your calories. Any good dietician will tell you to count your calories.

I would be reluctant to stay on the liquid/soft food diet any longer than your doctor or lap band adviser suggests. It's important to slowly add foods to your diet as instructed. But after that time it's time to start to learn how to eat with your band and the sooner you start the sooner you will be able to enjoy the successes you want.

It most likely is fair to say if you are not loosing weight then you are eating more than you should to loose weight, but this is really for a nutritionist or dietician to advise.

Keep a small notebook with you and record everything you eat, even a stick of gum. Learn to eyeball Protein portions or vegetable portions so you can count calories when you are out.

There are many wonderful apps out there like My Fitness Pal who will help you count and keep you on track . It can be accessed on your cell phone as well.

Good luck, take care of yourself but do seek professional advise for your concerns as my suggestions are just that, suggestions

Another "suggestion" ~ have you been able to spend time learning how the band really works? How to eat, and how to let the food settle or sit there without drinking to be able to fulfill the satiety gland so you do not feel hungry for the next 4 hours?

I was really amazed to finally truly understand how the band worked and what it was suppose to do and more importantly what I had to do, to make it work. Once I did understand and ate the proper foods, in the proper manner, IT ALL WORKED! It really was amazing and I wasn't hungry and I lost weight.

Good luck!

I use this site to track my food. I don't really count calories, though, I count carbs. This is a great tool, check it out:

http://www.fatsecret.com/

I'm still fluctuating between 184 and 185. No weight loss! And it's only been 5 1/2 weeks since surgery. Argh!!!!!!!! I think I'm at yellow because I'm not hungry, but still not losing weight!

Agree with Missy. Count your calories my dear. I use Myfitnesspal but there are plenty of other aps. I was horrified to find out how much sodium and sugar are in things like dressings and marinades and just how much caloires there are in even healthy foods. Check with your doctor for a daily caloire amount but so you know, I am almost always between 950 and 1,150 calories daily and have lost 78 lbs. in seven months.