Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?

70 members have voted

1. 1. Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery? If you haven?t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

• Better health, with fewer medications and better reports from the doctor.
    • More energy to do my favorite activities and keep up with friends and family.
    • Clothes shopping! (Enough said).
    • Self-confidence and pride in myself.
    • Food doesn?t rule my life any more!
    • Something else ? see my answer!

If you haven’t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

Mark your answer and tell us about it in the discussion below! We know that many of you have multiple answers, and we want to hear all of them!

OMG it's my concentration level, for sure! I've been walking around in a sleepy brain fog for the last few years and I'm suddenly back AWAKE! And I'm doing really well at work. Not that I wasn't doing well before, but my stamina now hugely improved, I'm sharper, quicker, and can handle a greater volume of tasks.

I also just feel like myself again. I was feeling really old. Tired. Like my best times were behind me. But I feel like I've taken off ten years. I'm 41 and I'm right back to the zippy party girl I was before having a kid. And I'm even thinking I may want one more before I can't anymore... Good times!!!

And getting to pull down all my 'thin clothes' from the closet kinda rocked. Cause I threw out all this stuff that fits but is way out of style. Woo hoo!! And my engagement ring fits again...

I could keep going, but those are the biggies.

I finally feel sexy again!

I can wear clothes from "normal" shopping places and I am back to wear "cute" shoes.

I feel like I can actually go to a gym and work out with everyone and feel "normal"

My golf game has improved drastically and overall I am just more active :)

I could go on and on but these are just a few :)

A lot of those things apply but I would say that overall it's been my self-confidence that has benefited most from the weight loss.

Now don't get me wrong, I was always opinionated, strong and confident but it's almost like when I lost the weight, people actually couldn't dismiss me as not worthy of having an opinion. And if I want something now, less people were inclined to say no to me.

I believe 100% that that says more about how society perceives people who are overweight that anything that has to do with me - I am the same person I was when I weighed 80lbs more, it's more about how suddenly, they can't pretend I'm invisible or not worth their attention. And that has made me more assertive and my confidence in what I look like on the 'outside' now matches my confidence on the inside, if that makes sense.

I love when I fly I don't feel like my thighs are pushing on the seat handles or the person in the seat next to me. The flight is more comfortable and the seatbelt is has to be tightened instead of barely fitting. We fly quite a bit and that was always a worry for me if there was somebody other than my children or my husband sitting next to me! My energy level has increased tremendously and I just feel so much better and not always so tired. Life is good.

alex

a yr ago, before my surgery, i had trouble walking

my legs/knees hurt so bad that i just couldnt...

this surgery has helped me lose weight/inches/buy smaller clothes etc

but alex...it gave me my legs (to walk again)....no matter what ever happens

the band/plication gave me that..i am forever grateful.

Everything is better ! I can wear cute smaller size clothes, I can do my own pedicure, I no longer use a C-pap breathing machine, I can jog, people find me attractive, as does my hubby, I have lots more energy, I look and feel 10 yrs younger, , I live, not just exist, I look and feel better in my own skin and no longer feel like a skinny girl trapped in an old womans body etc etc etc......lap band literally gave me my life back !!

:) Thanks to all of you for putting a smile on my face :D and hope in my heart :rolleyes: ....just waiting and waiting these days...still pre-op testing!

Alex the main purpose of my getting the lapband was health.. I have improved my health already and I still have 30 lbs or so to lose...but all of the answers would apply... I have tons of energy, have more confidence, feel great that I can finally be in control and buying clothes is getting way more fun..I enjoy my grandkids more and can do things with them again...

It has helped me to feel in control of me, and not feel like I'm being controlled by food. I have control of MY life now, and it gives me the confidence to know that I can do anything I want if I just put my mind to it.

Alex, I can't count one thing. However, health was my key issue for getting the Lapband. I am considered legally disabled but as I lose my weight, I have been taken off my diabetic meds, my blood pressure is normal. I had two strokes in my early 30's and was diagnosed with hydrocephalus (water on the brain) as a possible cause. I had brain surgery to have a shunt inserted and then after 3 months had to have a second brain surgery, then when I was 36 I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and when I went to have a radical hysterectomy this team of neurologists did several tests and came in my room before surgery and informed me I also had MS. Then on top of all that my weight was spiraling out of control because of not being able to get enough exercise. On top of all my other problems I was suffering from cellulitis to the point of having to be hospitalized many times. I knew if I lost weight I'd be able to overcome some of my obstacles. On top of everything else my doctor had said I was suffering from CHF (congestive heart failure). So, with a heavy heart and a lot of faith I was determined to live for my grandchildren. They were and are my purpose for living. I had researched weight loss surgery for three years and was told by my insurance company that I would not qualify. I went to several Lapband seminars and I let my PCP know this. He said he would document all my health issues and declare it medically necessary. In the meantime, I was determined to improve my health in whatever I needed to do it. That included WLS. In the meantime, I had changed insurance companies and it was my latest series of seminars on the Lapband I found out that the surgeon I had attended my latest seminar with accepted my insurance -all but $800 plus my liquid pre-op diet and I would attend another class on Lapband once I was accepted as a patient. So, here I am with a plethora of health issues and my mindset was I need to get healthy but without weight loss how was I ever going to get healthy? Well, I'm here to tell you that I'm off a lot of meds that I was prescribed for years. My health has improved to the point that I don't need a mobility cart to go shopping, I'm breathing better, I'm not out of breath after walking for 5 minutes, I fit in a coach airline seat with the arms down and the seatbelt buckles without having to ask for an extension, so aside from weight loss it was health issues and social issues that have improved my life. I still have a ways to go but my life has improved so much since starting on this journey. I've added years to my life, my health has improved so much since this surgery. My weight loss is slow but steady and above all my grandchildren are seeing their grandma walking instead of in a wheelchair. I walk with a cane due to balance issues but there was a time I couldn't walk at all without severe issues. I still have issues with spasticity but that has improved too and my doctor has reduced my meds for that because I weigh less so I think I have to reiterate that health improvement was my reason for WLS and I love it! Ok, I think you get the point, it was all for my health and I'm a testimonial to that. I mean without writing a book this is my synopsis of the issue. Thank you Alex for starting this Lapband forum. It has been a Godsend for me.

:-)

I am very new, banded for only 2 1/2 weeks. One thing that has already happened is that I've learned the difference between satisfied and full. At the moment I have no restriction, but as I eat my cup of food for dinner (slowly) I am able to stop and listen to my body. For the first time in my life I am learning to realize when I am no longer hungry, and I'm actually leaving food on my plate.

Fertility has been the unexpected benefit of weight loss for me. After 20+ years of infertility I woke up pregnant at 43 years old.

Having a child has been a powerful motivator to continue to drop the pounds--he will be 21 when I am 65 and I want to be around to see that day.

I'm down 140# and my bariatric doc says now is a good time to focus on maintenance but I feel that dropping another 30 to 40 will increase my chances of longevity.

Not taking medication anymore and going to the doctor every other month. Not spending a lot of money on food when eating out.