Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau for 8 weeks now

My doctor says I'm in the green zone, maybe so but I feel I need a fill. I can go at least 4 hrs between meals, good I know but at mealtime I feel like I could eat more than a cup worth and sometimes do, not very often but today at lunch I went overboard and knew it. Also for some strange reason, keep in mind I'm a little over a yr post op June 13th '12 and all of the sudden I can tolerate bread, rice, toast, eggs, chicken, just about anything whereas before, I'd say 6 months ago I would get stuck on those things. I don't eat these things in excess i.e. bread, rice, toast with the exception of tonight I had a half of a sandwich for dinner and a little snack cup of apple sauce. I just don't understand why I can all of the sudden tolerate these foods and before I couldn't. I don't see him again until July 11th at which time I am to discuss a colonoscopy with him to have done within the next few weeks, I know you're saying I'm not 50 yet but my brother has colon cancer and the kind he has is hereditary and I am to be checked every 3 yrs and this is my year, ugh! I'm hoping for a small tee tiny fill because I really don't feel restriction, the only thing I feel is my soft stop which is a hiccup, is this the same as restriction? Or is restriction considered not eating more than a cup worth of food or eating less than. The scales hasn't moved in 8 weeks and I've teetered between 228 and 226 and finally got back down to 226 this morning, thank you Jesus! I've tried exercising but it is very hard on me on the treadmill due to a bad knee and 2 knee surgeries, it gives me heck. Even riding a stationary bike hurts my knee at the gym. The trainer there doesn't seem to get it about my knee. I feel silly going in and working my arms, abs and thighs for 20 mins and leaving, that is literally all I can handle physically. My arms are so big and heavy on me now that any exercising of them physically drains me, I have no strength in them. It wears me out just to dry my hair because of the loose skin.

I seemed to have hit a plateau I guess. Thanks for listening.

Hi my fellow Wildcat fan!

I'm gonna suggest a couple of things...obviously, just my opinion.

Maybe the reason you eat that bread and rice now, is because you have adapted/learned to chew better and have slowed down your eating? I seem to remember not too long ago when you got a fill and were having difficulty with some of those foods. So possibly, you've just adjusted to this restriction level. Concentrate on making the best food choices, and let the band help with quanity. If you end up with more than a cup...don't stress as long as it's good food choices most of the time. Maybe a small tweak is in order....only you and your doctor can determine that.

Hopefully, this next suggestion comes across the way its intended. Encouraging. If you really want to break that plateau, you must find something, whatever you can do, to increase your cardio activity. Safely, under direction of a professional, there is something you can physically do to increase your heart rate and burn those calories. KICKSTART that metabolism into high gear! Maybe its only 5-10 minutes the first little while...build slowly, increasing only when you can safely do so, but get that heart rate to whatever your doctor will allow. The rewards are so worth it!

Best wishes my friend!

Hi

While I was losing I only plateaued twice but I kept losing in inches. My doctor suggested that I increase my solid Protein. I started snacking on "turkey cubes" I cut up chunks of turkey in to small cube and made a great dip. It was a great snack and still is.... but it also help with my metabolism. This helped kicked start my weight loss again. Several people in my coffee groups have tried increasing their Protein with they have plateaued and it has seem to have also helped them.

If you would like the recipe for the dip I have please feel free to email me. I also use it for veggies. It's made with Miracle Whip Light.

Hang in there !!

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

tomander@bell.net

thanks catfish my fellow wildcat kentuckian,I will try my best to increase my cardio. Yes Tom I will email you for the dip and try to increase my Protein. I put everything into my fitness pal yesterday that I ate and I only had 41 grams of Protein, NOT enough no wonder my hair is falling out. I have a hard time getting protein in. I've had my share of Protein shakes and they about gag me now. This morning I had oatmeal with 2 pieces of bacon, not a lot of protein I know but a little. I just feel like I'm going about this diet all wrong. I mean my nutritionist is very young, fresh out of college and never has worked with bariatric patients and she tells everyone to eat 3 oz of protein a day and that's it, I thought you are to do protein with every meal, maybe not 3 oz but like an egg for Breakfast, lunch some protein and dinner maybe fish or chicken. And my surgeon agrees with her but then he tells me to up my protein due to Hair loss. I already had baby fine thin hair and now its super thin and I mean that literally.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, much appreciated.