Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my plane ride home...

Hey all! I'm new to this forum so let me begin by saying, HELLO!

I'm having my surgery on May 15th in Monterrey Mexico and I'm looking forward to it!

I'll be coming home on the 17th with an 8 hour plane ride home and I'm wondering what should I expect on the flight home? Will I be getting sick a lot? :) Should I request a seat next to the restrooms? LOL!

Please, any advice on how to cope with the long trip home would be really appreciated. :eek:

Thanks so much!

Anne

Hi Anne!

I had a 4 hour flight 2 days after, like you. If you're at all able to, the more comfortable seat, the better (i.e. first class). I had the smallest, most uncomfortable seat ever. I think my face was 6 inches from the one in front of me. I'd sit along the aisle, so you can get up and walk often. And so in case you do have to go to the bathroom, you don't have to squeeze past anyone. Have chewable Gas-X and Gravol in your purse or bag with you... just incase. And if you get any prescription pain meds (or even non-prescrip.), have them handy as well. I had a big bottle of Water with me, and that's all I drank.

I wasn't nauseous at all, but I had my gravol just in case. You might wanna take some before hand, as a preventative.. and sure, being closer to a bathroom wouldn't hurt. Just get up and walk as often as you can. I was told every 15-30 minutes... but I couldn't quite do it that much.

Good luck!

Mandi

I had an 8 hour trip home also. It wasn't that bad. I would definitely get an aisle seat like the last poster said. I also grabbed a bunch of blankets and rolled them up...used them as pillows. It's worth it......this band is awesome.

The MOST important thing you need to do on the 8 hour ride home is get up a MINIMUM of every hour and walk. Pulmonary embolism (blood clot to the lung) is a major post-op surgery concern and lack of movement can increase the chances of having it. Tell your surgeon about the long trip. He/she may want to give you an injection of heparin/lovenox (blood thinner) the AM before you get on the plane. If you can afford it, fly first class on the way home.

My flight home was alright. I got a little nauseas at one point, but it didn't last long.

I was only on Clear Liquids for 24 hours, so I was able to buy a creamy Soup at the airport. If you are going to be on clears, maybe bring a couple Water bottles with allowed juice or something. I can't really think of anything clear that has a few calories and is airplane friendly.

Good luck!

I am arriving on the 24th and leaving on the 28th. I have a six hour flight but it is split. Not too worried about ironically....

This was a great thread. I won't be flying, but will have about a 5 hour car ride for my surgery. I know that I can stop and get out pretty much when I want, but it was good to know before what to expect. Thanks

I had my surgery on Monday, and come home on the following Wednesday. In order to get home, I had a 2 hour drive from the hospital, to the airport we flew out of, then a 5 hour plane trip, an hours layover, then after landing we had another 3 1/2 hour drive home. It was a long day. But nothing that one shot of liquid Tylenol didn't handle. I actually took it after the flight, before the last of the drive home. When they served drinks on the plane, I had Water. I also grabbed a pillow (although how they can call that tiny thing a pillow I'll never know!!) to use between my tummy and the seatbelt...and on the plane I never used it, the belt is way low, and my incisions are up high. I did take that pillow with me tho, and used it in the car. The shoulder belt in the car, went right over them!

I even ask for a seatbelt extender as I boarded the plane, the seatbelt like I say didn't interfere with my incisions, but I had to watch how I stretched my arm across my stomach to fasten the belt. My husband buckled it for me the second time, and it was a big help.

Through one part of our flight, they never allowed us up, there was a lot of turbulence, so I sat there, and raised and lowered my feet at the ankle, and raised them up like on tippy toes...anything I could pull off in the tiny seat area, to keep moving.

Good Luck to you!! And like the others have said keep any meds you have, as well as the gas ex with you. Avoid any carryons or anything you have to lug around, make it as easy on yourself as possible. It WILL be worth it!!!

Kat

If you think there's any chance of you getting air/motion sick on the flight home, take some liquid dramamine before you take off. You definitely don't want to throw up that early into the game.

Best of luck on your surgery and your trip home. Keep us posted on your progress! Oh, and welcome to LBT! :)