Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Step.... 1, 2, 3...

Hello Band Buddies

At a recent coffee group we were talking about walking. "They" recommend you walk 10,000 steps a day. Now I'm not sure who "They" are but there are many doctors that recommend that 10,000 steps per day is the target number of steps.

I came across this GREAT website that has information for beginners that are interested in increasing their daily steps.

Now I'm not saying everyone get out and walk 10,000 steps everyday but if you have a "Smartphone" with an App on it that can track your steps get it and try... or if you have an iPod did you know that there is a Pedometer on the iPod... I didn't?!?! You can also buy inexpensive Pedometers from some dollar stores or drug stores or Walmart. If you don't a Smartphone or Pedometer then start by walking for 10 minutes each day... then 15 minutes the next day then try to increase it when your ready.

Now that the warmer weather is here I've started walking to Timmy's twice a day. I set my Pedometer and off I go. Now I don't get to 10,000 steps in each day but I do get close to 6,800... depending on the day. I found the Pedometer motivates me. (I walk with a cane most days... I have aches and pains on many days... but when I have a "good" day and don't make excuses for not going for a walk I really enjoy it.)

I'm issuing a challenge band buddies... for the Summer... "Step out on the town!" If you keep a food journal or use a food App... keep a daily log of how many steps you take. Try to increase your daily steps by 20... I think you'll be surprised how many steps you take... even if it's just around the house... down the end of the driveway or taking Lassie for a walk.

What I did as a bonus to help me tone on my walks (because I'm so muscular LOL)... I bought these great weights from Canadian Tire that are only 1 lbs each and they fasten with velcro. I put one on each wrist and ankle before I head out to Timmy's. This gives me a little bit of resistance but are not too heavy. I also uses the weighs to do leg and arms lifts when I sit in a chair.

Check out the website and remember
EVERYTHING IN MODERATION
and if you have any doubts about starting a walking program
check with your family doctor
or healthcare provider if your feeling walking may be too much for you.

And... if anyone is interested here's the weights I use... this store is located in Canada but I'm sure you can find them in the US.

~0840848P/Tempo+Neoprene+Weights%2C+2x1-lbs.jsp?locale=en

Step... 1, 2, 3....

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

10,000 STEPS A DAY

"10,000 steps a day - pedometer walking program, walking routine, beginning walking, beginner walker"

How many steps do you walk each day?

Maybe you have heard the recent guidelines about walking 10,000 steps per day. How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.

A sedentary person
may only average 1,000 to 3,000 steps a day. For these people adding steps has many health benefits. I have outlined the basic 10,000 steps program, but also added a commentary below.

A reasonable goal for most people is to increase average daily steps each week by 500 per day until you can easily average 10,000 per day.
Example
: If you currently average 3000 steps each day, your goal for week one is 3500 each day. Your week 2 goal is 4000 each day. Continue to increase each week and you should be averaging 10,000 steps by the end of 14 weeks.

Wearing a
is an easy way to track your steps each day. Start by wearing the pedometer every day for one week. Put it on when you get up in the morning and wear it until bed time. Record your daily steps in a log or notebook. By the end of the week you will know your average daily steps. You might be surprised how many (or how few) steps you get in each day.

There are many ways to increase your daily steps. Use your imagination and come up with your own list:

• Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend

• Walk the dog

• Use the stairs instead of the elevator

• Park farther from the store

• Better yet, walk to the store

• Get up to change the channel

• Window shop

• Plan a walking meeting

• Walk over to visit a neighbor

• Get outside to walk around the garden or do a little weeding

Continue to track your daily steps and/or mileage; and keep notes on how you feel, how your body is improving, or other changes you are making to improve your health.

If you are in very poor physical condition or at any point you feel that you are progressing too rapidly slow down a bit and try smaller increases. If you have any health concerns seek your physician's advice prior to starting or changing your exercise routine.

Notice
: We have outlined the standard 10,000 step program because so many people ask about it. This is a good program to help get people motivated, or to get sedentary people moving. It is however our recommendation that most individuals fit 30 to 60 minutes of dedicated walking (or other exercise) into their routine at least 3 to 4 days a week. You can
with as little as ten minutes per day and gradually increase your walking routine.

Tom, do you happen to know the name of the app for the smartphone? I can't seem to find one and I love this idea of using my phone to track my steps!

The app on the iPhone is called "moves". Not sure about android phones.

I'm not sure because because I use my iPod to keep track of my steps.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Hi 50for50...sorry I didn't see your post... several people have responded to my email since I sent it out to my group and have recommend the App you mentioned and also the App "Footsteps - Pedometer"

I also received a great email from someone today saying they went out and bought a Pedometer and weights I recommended... it's so great to see people getting motivated!!!

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06