Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night eating

I'm 3.5 weeks post surgery and do great during the day with food and choices, but I'm having trouble at night. I get hungry around 8pm and it's like a snack just doesn't do it. I'm overeating and end up feeling stuffed/sick right before bed.

I don't get my first fill until June 7 so right now I don't really have restrictions. I'm afraid I'm going to start gaining and know this is key to getting under control if I am going to succeed with this lapband.

I should also mention I'm a type 2diabetic so a pre-bed snack s recommended right now for my blood sugars...

Any suggestions? Tricks? Motivation?

I have no suggestions but just wanted you to know I understand. After 8 munchies plague me too. Good luck and looking forward to reading others suggestions

The only thing I want to say is to caution you. If you eat after 8, you may find yourself eventually suffering with gastric reflux and coughing at night, which is not fun. I am diabetic as well and have found the only way to avoid being uncomfortable throughout the night is to eat earlier. Eventually, that need to snack before bed is going to disappear and your blood sugar readings will level out, so this won't be a question. If you continue to eat at night, it's going to be because you want to, not because you have to. Try training yourself now to give up that snack - sometimes I find I use diabetes as an excuse when, in fact, it shouldn't be considering I am no longer on any type of medication! Good luck - it takes discipline and mega desire!

I agree with CarrieBrownsville, but if you have to snack, make it something full of Protein. Protein shake, Plain FF Greek Yogurt mixed with reduced fat Peanut Butter or PB2 and a little Splenda,yummy, Boiled egg, ff cottage cheese, String cheese etc.

Are you eating high solid Proteins for Breakfast,lunch & dinner?

Keeps you full longer. Maybe have a later dinner.< /p>

You are not suppose to lay down with a fulk stomach, so wait 1hr after eating before going to bed.

BTW, hate to burst your bubble, but it may take a few fills before reaching restriction.

Best wishes

Hello, congrats. I am fairly new here also, had surgery 2/27/13. I dont get my first fill till 5/28 talk about crazy, i have not lost anything since the intial 20 i lost after surgery. It freaks me out. I try to have string cheese for a snack, but i am not always sucessful. I have been looking for a weight loss buddy to share these types of thoughts etc with.

Connie

to me, eating at night was a time for me to sit on couch and snack and the more my hand went into the bags, the more calories i took in.. on my pre op, i realized that was merely (head hunger). it was a habit for me to sit and eat and glaze at the tv....if i am truly hungry, i grab something filling and dont worry about it....but dont use it as an excuse to eat....eat if truly hungry......or drink something....that usually solves the issue for me.

Eatting at night is all about your head so talk to yourself and I find having something hot Water or tea really helps me. You need to do some brain tricking its been tricking you for years. clean out your kitchen so there isn't anything you shouldn't eat..yogurt is a real filler for me...

I save my gummy vitamins till end of day and take them duing that time.... its like a snack to me bc they are sweet but they are my Vitamin so I have to take them... it enough to get me over it:-)

Thanks for all the good advice. I do think a lot of it is head hunger...not actual hunger. I'm going to dedicate myself to a no eating past 8 rule, but I can have some tea or Water if I'm feeling unsatisfied.

I also need to go to bed earlier...even if its just to read so I'm out and away from the kitchen.

I have been looking for a weight loss buddy to share these types of thoughts etc with.

Connie

Anytime, Connie. This support network has been so great!