Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jacksonville Surgical Assoc (Dr. Cywes) closing--need new Dr. In Jax

Just got a very disturbing letter in the mail today. I had my LB done with Dr. Cywes Feb. 2011, and have done very well. I have lost about 80 pounds. Turns out, he is closing all clinical practices the end of this month. I am beside myself with sadness and a little bit of anger. I feel so abandoned :(.

Anyone know what happened or why he is shutting his doors?

Most importantly, I need good recommendations for other LB doctors in Jacksonville, Fl that take on transfer patients. Anyone in the area love their doctor?

I would strongly recommend you to see Dr. Baptista off Baymeadows Rd. I couldn't be happier with his care and the progress I've made since I had my surgey. :-) He is the most caring doctor I've had in my life. His staff is very helpfull too specially Rosie. So sorry to hear your doctor has abandonned you. A friend of mine was Cywes patient and was informed the same yesterday by email. She called Dr. Baptista's office and is transferring her care to him. I wish you the best and good luck!

My surgery is scheduled for June 7th and did not hear he was closing office, I called and they confrimed there closing now what do I do.

OMGosh! He's my doc too!

I spoke with Dana this am. They are having an office meeting this morning that should yield final information for us. Looks like for us in the Valdosta area we will be turned over to Dr. Melton from Moultrie. Sounds as if all goes well, we will still go to the Valdosta office for our appointments, not sure where our surgeries will be though. I did a search on Dr. Melton here on this site. He's affiliated with Colquitt Regional and Smith Northview. That's a whole lot closer that having to go to Brunswick, GA or Jacksonville, FL. My next appointment is currently scheduled for June 14 (physician managed weight loss). At that point my surgery request was likely to be submitted to Tri-Care because is was my 3d appointment.

Thank you so much for the information. Let us know if you hear anything else.

I called the office last week and spoke to Wendy in the Jax office. She said that Dr. C has decided to go back to pediatrics, and got an "offer he couldn't refuse" in West Palm Beach. She also said, that knowing Dr. C, he would not be formally recommending any doctors here in Jax. We are advised to go to lapband.com and enter our zip code and find our own doctor.....thats pretty crappy in my opinion. I have an appointment scheduled with him next Tuesday, May 28.

I can't believe that he would still schedule surgeries for the month after he will be leaving. That's just awful :(. I am so sorry. I am a little over 2 years out and am freaked out. I can't imagine how his patients feel that have just had their surgeries or were supposed to be having them soon.

I was surprised to find out their office was closing with such short notice. No matter what kind of opportunity that was offered to him, it really seems like a disservice to both his patients and employees to close the office without proper warning. Luckily, I only get checked out once a year and I can wait until something else is set up locally again. kkua- I am happy to see another clinic might be opening in Valdosta... I really wasn't looking forward to having to drive to Jacksonville for appointments again... although I really loved Baptista and will go back there if nothing opens up here.

What I really and surprised by is that I called the Jacksonville office last Wednesday to ask if there were any support group meetsings in Valdosta, and they didn't mention the closure to me. On Friday, I received the notice in the mail.

I just had a revision from lapband to sleeve with Dr Cywes 3 weeks ago. I am so mad and hurt.

Absolutely agree Jewel! Where are you going now? Have you chosen a new doctor yet?

I heard Dr Baptista is waiving transfer fees for anyone interested in going to him. He is an awesome Doctor. I was initially a patient of Dr Cywes from Jan 2012 - August 2012. After alot of frustrating dealings with his staff (not filing my claim on time, phone calls never returned,miisinformation, etc), my wife and I switched to Dr Baptista. It was the best decision we ever made!!

I go to dr Roy Schwartz here in Tallahassee.

I live in GA and have been driving 3 hours to see Cywes because I believed he was passionate about bariatrics. I was so devoted to seeing only him. I have an appt with Dr Kelly in Savannah but I am not sure about him. I cannot find reviews or anything for him. I have been eatting Cywes way for so long, I feel like I am gonna have to learn a new Docs rules and basically start over. Scared of what will happen if I have an emergency since I am still just 3 weeks post op.

I am a patient of Dr. Chappano's since 2006 and he see bariatric patients from other practices. I have lost 85 lbs. with him and they have a great team that works with bariatric patients.

I called Dr. Baptista's office but I was told he would not follow anyone that had the plication procedure done. Dr. Uchal will so i made an appointment with him.