Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jacksonville Surgical Assoc (Dr. Cywes) closing--need new Dr. In Jax

I had my band done by Dr. Uchal at St. Vincent's in Jacksonville. He and his staff are awesome. He has the best nutritionist too! I looked at Memorial, but just had a better gut feeling with the staff at Uchal's and I am so glad that I went to them! They also have a great after care program with lots of support groups and activities.

I'll be seeing Dr. Melton from Moultrie, GA in the Valdosta Bariatrics ofc. He has been doing Lapbands for quite a long time but was recently re-trained by Dr. Cywes. It's hard to believe its so hard to get a good bariatric surgeon near Valdosta, GA. I have met all my pre-surgery requirements so I guess it will just be a matter of meeting the new doc.

Hello all.......New Life Surgical Associates (Dr Sunil Sharma) formerly the Director of Bariatrics at UF Shands, has taken over Dr Cywes practice in Jacksonville..........Dr Cywes is no longer practicing in Jacksonville............

We are currently taking ALL patients no matter what surgery and what surgeon..............

www.newlifejax.com

Look forward to seeing you!!!!

I was banded by Dr. Cywes around 2006 and kept in close touch with him and his staff ever since.

I have even gone to visit his new office in Palm Beach twice since his departure from Jacksonville.

On Monday, December 29,

2014, I started experiencing extreme pain and problems with my band/ port/ tubing.

Dr. Cywes is out of the country for Christmas vacation, so I wasn't sure what to do.

Something told me to call his Jacksonville phone number and ask for Jody, as Cywes recently told me that she was working for the Dr. who took over his practice.

Low and behold, I made contact with Jody and within the hour, I was in front of Dr. Sharma.

Having never seen another bariatric doctor other than Cywes, I didn't know what to expect.

Dr. Sharma immediately assessed the situation and by way of the machine in their office, we found that my tubing had become unconnected from the port.

If you have never experienced this before, it can be summarized as: child birth, menstrual cramps, knives being driven into your abdomen, plus many more adjectives I'd rather not put in writing. This is due to the 18"+ of tuning banging around loosely in the abdomen and hitting organs, etc.

Dr. Dharma took swift action by calling the ER to set up my arrival so I could enter through the waiting room and be set up for emergency surgery.

Yesterday morning, I underwent surgery and opted to have the entire device removed.

This was my 3rd complication and follow up surgery since the initial banding.

Dr. Sharma had excellent bedside manner, vast knowledge and took pride in his profession and ability to help me.

The staff at St. Vincent's Southside went above and beyond to insure a smooth surgery and recovery.

I was released last night and am at home, on the mend. Although in a lot of pain this morning.

Huge thank you to Dr. Sharma, Jody and staff at St. Vincent's!