Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first fill last week, and now have approx. 6.4cc's in my 10cc band. From what I'm told, there was around 3cc's at the time of surgery, and she added another 3.4. The fill helped tremendously in holding off hunger for closer to the 4 hour window. But being pretty new to all of this, I'm not quite sure what I'm "supposed" to be feeling.

I haven't had any of the issues I keep reading about; stuck, PBs, throwing up, etc. Though I eat small bites slowly, I can't say that the bites of food are tiny. They're certainly not what they used to be, but I take a small (but decent) bite & chew well. I guess I'm blessed so far, that I'm not having any real issues. But my question is, what is this "sweet spot" I keep reading about, and how do you know when you've reached it? I'm afraid of getting anymore fills, because I do not want to reach the point where I have the PBs, stuck & vomiting. And though I'm doing well, I'm not sure how it's all "supposed" to be. This may sound nuts, but I wonder if I'm not quite there yet, because I DON'T have issues.

Regarding band capacity, if I've only had one fill, and I'm already at 6.4cc's, it doesn't seem that there is a lot of room left as I get fills over the next months/years. What happens........do they start putting less in each time; like maybe 2cc's instead of 3? What happens if they fill it all the way, and you need more? Can this ever happen? I hear people getting lots of fills, and I don't see that my band has that much space left :mellow:

I sure hope someone answers this, or many veteran bandsters. All you asked are questions I would like answers to as well.

I know we can ask the doc's, but experience is very much valued!

Every Dr handles this different, just like diets.

I had no fill at time of surgery 3cc 6wks out, 1.5cc during revision surgery and .5cc 6wks after that.

IMHO, getting smaller fills after major fills, is the way to go.

You don't want to over shoot the green zone. My last fill, Dr tried 1cc and instantly couldn't drink Water and half was removed.

Your Dr is the best one to make these choices, by what you tell them.

So far, I have never heard of anyone being filled to the max and not having restriction. Love to hear if its possible.

From my dr to your ears....the green zone is where you are satiated for at least 4 hours after finishing your meal. I'm sure your office went over what you should be eating, the amount (1 cup-ish), taking your time with a meal, small bites, etc.etc. When I say satiated I'm not talking about the full feeling..thats how we used to eat..but feeling satisfied and comfortable. Hope that makes sense?

Tiny - yes, that's what my doctor told me. And I understand it. I'm just not sure if I'm there, but I guess I'll just let my "time of satiety" be my guide.

When I had surgery, I didn't think the doctor left that much Fluid in my band. The nurse who does the fills told me that he fills the band to max, and then lets it empty. Wherever it stops is what he leaves at the time of surgery. For me it was 3cc's. That lasted about three weeks, until I started getting hungry within 2.5 hours of eating. I was also surprised that she added another 3.4cc's for the first fill, and I'm having zero issues. I agree with Maddysgram, that more frequent smaller fills is the way to go. But GEEZ.......I'm totally fine being up to where I'm at already? I can't really eat a full cup of food, but half to 2/3 is comfortable.

Many of us found that the difference between getting the proper adjustment and too loose can be as little as .25 CCs. You could be one small fill away or 6 small fills away.

If you can get your doctor to perform a floroscopy fill, you might find the zone quicker.

tmf

Sounds like you're getting real close to me....that feeling of not being "hungry", thats what it is for me in the green zone. And when I do eat, feeling satisfied on a small amount of food.

As mentioned above, overshooting and getting too "full" on restriction, should not be a goal. You don't need those adverse indications to feel satisfied. Losing weight because you're not eating all the time, in large quanities, is the goal.

TMF is spot on as usual, fluoro can help a lot, although I'm guessing your doc may use it if she added 3.4cc's at your last fill. Seems like a rather agressive amount to do blindly.

My last two fills consisted of .2cc's each....I was already close. That small amount made a huge difference.

They did not use fluoro for the fill. I asked about it because I read so much here on this site. I was told that it's very expensive to do a routine fill that way, so they don't do it. I would venture to guess that if there are issues, they would use the equipment, but under normal circumstances, no.

I will ask about the amount of Fluid next time I'm in there. I have an appointment scheduled for the 13th, but if I don't need a fill, I'll probably cancel it. I still get hungry a little sooner than I'd like; about 3.5 hours. Would be great to have it last a bit longer.

Many of us found that the difference between getting the proper adjustment and too loose can be as little as .25 CCs. You could be one small fill away or 6 small fills away.

If you can get your doctor to perform a floroscopy fill, you might find the zone quicker.

tmf

Next time I go for a fill, I'll make sure & ask her before she does it. I don't want her to randomly put another 2-3cc's. I'd rather step VERY slowly from this point forward.

Next time I go for a fill, I'll make sure & ask her before she does it. I don't want her to randomly put another 2-3cc's. I'd rather step VERY slowly from this point forward.

I think it's a great idea to discuss the amount of fill before hand. My doc. always meets with me in his office, then we go to the exam room and he does the fill. Discuss with her how your eating, how long you stay full for et... That's great you are not getting stuck, pbing or vomiting. That is NOT par of the course. It indicates either the band is too tight or the user is not eating properly (wrong food, too big bites, not chewing enough). I think it sounds like you are doing really well!

Thank you :) I feel pretty good. I overate a bit last night (snack right after dinner) and didn't feel great. None of the issues mentioned above, just stomach cramp and still felt crappy today. I stayed within my calories, but my timing was off; too much too close together.

The nurse is the one who did the fill. She does sit down & go through all the questions about diet, eating, exercise, etc. Most of the follow ups are with her, but if I'm having an issue, I see him. I'm scheduled for my next post-op visit with him next month. I know he does fills, but not routinely. I will definitely talk with her before she sticks that needle in next time :P