Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stay filled or unfill?

Is it really my choice or what? I discussed the possibility of pregnancy with the surgeons ans the pa before getting the band and after getting the band. A couple of the PA's have said they would unfill once they found out I was pregnant. So the million dollar question is do I have to have an unfill or can I fight this?

Here's my background story to help you decide on the answer. Was banded on Dec 13th and have lost 40.5lbs. I have 6.1ml in my 10ml band and I finally feeling satisfied longer like I'm pretty sure Im close to my green zone with this last fill. I haven't had any stuck episodes or anything like that! I do pretty well with the rules. 2 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant went to the doctor and they said everything looked great. I increased my calories and am still exercising the only I haven't done is get an unfill.

So here's my thinking of why I don't want to get an unfill. I feel like if I can take in the nutrients that the baby needs which is only 300 more calories a day and still not have any stuck episodes or have any morning sickness why would I go get an unfill cause all that will do is allow me to eat more and gain weight back which isn't healthy for the baby. I know I need to gain which is fine but I only want to gain what I need to gain for the baby... I mean if I begin to vomit or have morning sickness then of course I will have an unfill but why not stay right where I'm at and only gain what I need to. There are plenty of overweight women that have lost weight during their pregnancy just by simply eating better for the baby and I think as long as the baby is healthy I should be fine right?

Oh I'm only 6 weeks so all the symptoms should start showing their ugly side haha!

Is this your first baby? That makes a difference because you and your body don't know what to expect. I would discuss it with your Ob. Also, if you stayed filled, could you easily get an appointment with your surgeon to get unfilled quickly if you started vomiting. I never vomited with either of my pregnancies. I was not banded when I had my children but I would have stayed filled if I had that option. I'm not in the medical profession and I'm new to the band but if it was me, I would stay filled. But I also had very easy pregnancies.

Quite honestly, and I don't mean this snottily I mean it sincerely, right now what you want is a bit irrelevant. If your doctor says you need an unfill for the sake of yourself and the baby then why would you "fight" it? It's not worth the risk of something going wrong.

Do what your doctors say is best not what you want. Concentrate your baby right now and make your weight secondary.

Best wishes.

Is this your first baby? That makes a difference because you and your body don't know what to expect. I would discuss it with your Ob. Also' date=' if you stayed filled, could you easily get an appointment with your surgeon to get unfilled quickly if you started vomiting. I never vomited with either of my pregnancies. I was not banded when I had my children but I would have stayed filled if I had that option. I'm not in the medical profession and I'm new to the band but if it was me, I would stay filled. But I also had very easy pregnancies.[/quote']

Yes it is and no I don't know what to expect but the office that I go to did say they make exceptions for pregnancy and being sick. They always have an emergency slot open for things like that. Yeah I'm kind of torn. I feel like if I don't have any vomitting then why unfill you know?

Quite honestly' date=' and I don't mean this snottily I mean it sincerely, right now what you want is a bit irrelevant. If your doctor says you need an unfill for the sake of yourself and the baby then why would you "fight" it? It's not worth the risk of something going wrong.

Do what your doctors say is best not what you want. Concentrate your baby right now and make your weight secondary.

Best wishes.[/quote']

Yeah I understand what you're saying and you're not being snotty! I feel like right now its so early on and they have expressed for me to get unfilled in case I vomit. But what if I never vomit you know what I mean? Plus I feel like if I get an unfill I'm going to gain extra weight which puts me at risk for all sorts of things including gd which is def not healthy for the baby. That's the only reason I'm "fighting" it without even fighting it per se. I'm eating enough for me and the baby so I don't really see any harm right now! I'm def going to re discuss it with my ob and with the pa to see what to do! I do want what's best for the baby obviously so if they def want me to unfill then I will. I just don't want to do something just BC they think something might happen! Thanks though! :-) I will keep everyone updated once I've seen both doctors!

I am 32 weeks pregnant and habe not had an unfill, because od this I have only gained 10 pounds. My Dr is fine with my decision and assured me the baby is getting there food and nutrients first before me. Baby is growing right on track and is healthy just make sure and take your Vitamins. They said as long as no complications I can keep my fill, no complications yet :) good luck

Yeah I understand what you're saying and you're not being snotty! I feel like right now its so early on and they have expressed for me to get unfilled in case I vomit. But what if I never vomit you know what I mean? Plus I feel like if I get an unfill I'm going to gain extra weight which puts me at risk for all sorts of things including gd which is def not healthy for the baby. That's the only reason I'm "fighting" it without even fighting it per se. I'm eating enough for me and the baby so I don't really see any harm right now! I'm def going to re discuss it with my ob and with the pa to see what to do! I do want what's best for the baby obviously so if they def want me to unfill then I will. I just don't want to do something just BC they think something might happen! Thanks though! :-) I will keep everyone updated once I've seen both doctors!

Granted I had my babies before my band, but being pregnant can be really unpredictable. One day you're feeling great and the next like you've been hit by a truck. I think this is the biggest reason they like to do at least partial unfills because by the time you do vomit, it's too late and you could hurt your band. They're trying to be cautious "just in case".

my doctors left it up to me because i knew had a close contact with my nutritionist and watching my food intake like a hawk. i ended up having a partial until just before the end of the first trimester.i was getting stuck on everything. bear in mind that even with a partial unfill, i still have restriction, just not as much as i did before pregnancy.

I am 32 weeks pregnant and habe not had an unfill' date=' because od this I have only gained 10 pounds. My Dr is fine with my decision and assured me the baby is getting there food and nutrients first before me. Baby is growing right on track and is healthy just make sure and take your Vitamins. They said as long as no complications I can keep my fill, no complications yet :) good luck[/quote']

Thank you and Congrats on your baby! Not too much longer to go now!!!

Granted I had my babies before my band' date=' but being pregnant can be really unpredictable. One day you're feeling great and the next like you've been hit by a truck. I think this is the biggest reason they like to do at least partial unfills because by the time you do vomit, it's too late and you could hurt your band. They're trying to be cautious "just in case".[/quote']

Yeah that sounds like me. Well yesterday I felt like I was hit by a truck and today I'm much better! And yeah that makes sense. So basically I need to decide how cautious I want to be about the band with vomitting! Thank u for your input! It helps to have all different views brought into perspective!

my doctors left it up to me because i knew had a close contact with my nutritionist and watching my food intake like a hawk. i ended up having a partial until just before the end of the first trimester.i was getting stuck on everything. bear in mind that even with a partial unfill' date=' i still have restriction, just not as much as i did before pregnancy.[/quote']

Oh OK that makes sense! I've been watching my intake like crazy too! I make sure to get in the calories I need and most days the good calories of course. I do have bad days but it happens to all of us pregnant or not pregnant!

I've never really had any restriction that everyone talks about until this last fill! This fill has helped me control my hunger much longer and I still can eat what I want that's why I'm torn between unfilling for just in case reasons or keeping it how it is unless complications rise so that I don't get back to an even more unhealthy weight!

Oh OK that makes sense! I've been watching my intake like crazy too! I make sure to get in the calories I need and most days the good calories of course. I do have bad days but it happens to all of us pregnant or not pregnant!

I've never really had any restriction that everyone talks about until this last fill! This fill has helped me control my hunger much longer and I still can eat what I want that's why I'm torn between unfilling for just in case reasons or keeping it how it is unless complications rise so that I don't get back to an even more unhealthy weight!

well if you're going longer without being hungry, i'd recommend keeping a food journal to verify that you are taking in enough calories. plus when your nutritionist or doctor asks, you aren't foundering for an answer. you got your answer on paper already. and yeesh i apologize for all the typos in the first reply. i'm surprised anyone understood what i was saying lol. in any case, keep an eye on it, but don't be shocked or horrified if you have to do a partial unfill. i still have 3.5 ccs in my band and instead of being hungry every 4-6 hours i am fine for about three before i need something. still eating five times a day, so there wasn't too much change up and just because you have less restriction doesn't mean you'll eat the house down around you. ;) it felt that way at first watching the numbers go up, but thankfully it finally leveled off around 22 weeks or so.

I have a mfp acct which I keep as my food journal! Thanks for the tip! And yeah I font feel like I'm mentally strong enough yet to stand one my own if I get an unfill but I will def do what's best for me and the lil bean!

I am 23 weeks along an had to be emptied at 16 weeks due to a nasty virus with some severe vomiting. My surgeon said that although I hadn't had the morning sickness is was unwise to stay filled due to moving organs. As the baby grows and organs get pushed up, so too does the band and pressure on the band is well, no bueno. It can cause a slip in some cases. My weight gain was normal to that point. :( I'm now reaching the Mac what I "should" gain the entire pregnancy (I was 127 pre preg. Gain should only be 25-35 pounds total and I'm up 26 so far). ::sigh:: we lost it before, we will lose it again!!!!!!

Hmmm good point too! Thanks!