Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 3 post op and starving!

I am on week 3 post op and feel so hungry all the time. My post op visit was last week and the dr said drink a lot of Water to satisfy my hunger. My ban is empty and I have 2 more weeks to go until my first fill. I don't want to gain any weight back. Should I just eating creamy Soups and fight the hunger?

Im scared of the same thing, im only 4 days in and hungry! My first fill isnt until May 13 so im worried myself....I would just eat creamy Soups like u said and plenty of water...

Hunger is your body's natural response to needing fuel and to be expected.

During the post op diet, people are often horribly hungry because liquids and mushy food aren't filling at all.

I know it's a hard but time you're just going to have power through it to give your body time heal.

It'll get easier.

I'm four weeks post op and my rules are not to use liquids as meals. It sounds like your post op rules are different---are you eating "real" foods yet? I think the fact I am not starving is because I'm eating as if I already have a fill, i.e., no more than 1 cup of food at mealtime, and I have to eat the Protein first (before the veg or fruit). This is what keeps me full.

If you've been cleared for regular foods, I'd think that eating Protein would help with your hunger more than eating creamy Soups and Water.

Hi,

I am 3 days post op and have been doing the Clear Liquids. I was wondering why do you have to wait to get your first fill if you are starving?

I agree with Paris if you are on solids get rid of the Soups and eat real food. Eat small bites slowly and chew chew chew. I was told to eat when hungry stop when full. Make good choices in what you eat and you should be fine. I eat alot of fresh raw vegetables when I can't wait til the next meal. Good luck.

Protein Shakes help, but it is very difficult. Power thru... I was dropping weight fast on liquids and that helped motivate me.

I am 3 weeks post op and I am also hungry all the time and I can't wait to eat again but it's because I am so used to eating whatever and whenever I want. It is a life changing thing we just did and we just need to adapt it may take some time but it will work out just hang in there, this is the place to come to where everyone on here knows what you are going through cause they were right where you are right now and that's what we need right now is support....thank you everyone for being there to offer your support I so appreciate it...:)

Thanks for all the responses. All the info is very helpful. I was on clear liquid for 2 weeks then full liquids for 2 weeks then I can eat food. So I have 1 more week of full liquids left. I just can't wait for my first fill. So excited !

Hi,

I am 3 days post op and have been doing the Clear Liquids. I was wondering why do you have to wait to get your first fill if you are starving?

Because starving or not, your body has undergone some major changes and the liquids give it time to heal. The last thing they said to me at discharge was "DO NOT VARY FROM THE DIET YOU WERE GIVEN!!!" I haven't and I feel great. Haven't honestly had one day of the starved feeling yet thank God. I do admit that I get a little twinge of jealously watching my husband eat the good meals I cook him....LOL. That only lasts for a minute because nothing tastes as good as skinny will feel.....Good luck!!!

They want to wait for the swelling to go down before giving a fill:)

Thanks for explaining

Haha - this bring backs memories. Keep in mind the band is empty and your stomach is slowly recovering from surgery so yes you will feel hungry because basically the band isnt doing anything as its empty. Just do your best to eat soft foods till you get your first fill. You will notice a HUGGGE difference when you get your first fill, thats when the magic of the lapband works.

As the others have said, follow what YOUR surgeon suggested/ordered. Each may be different on their directions/"menu" postop. Don't beat yourself up if you aren't losing weight during these first few weeks postop. Lots of folks actually gain a bit during the first few weeks/month(s) post op.

Not to burst your bubble, but unless you have an agressive doc or one that does fills using fluoro, it may take several fills over several visits to progress to any real level of restriction. Rest assured, you can get there. Hang tough and be in this for the long haul... Best wishes!

To be entirely honest, I have lost all appetite since day 5 of the pre op 10 day and it really hasn't returned. I find that I'm forcing myself to drink broth since I got banded last friday. So I'm a little on the other side of the fence here.