Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about preop liquid diet & nutrition

I'm looking at probably a few more months before surgery but my surgeon and dietician had recommended trying some of the different Protein Drinks now so that when I have to to start my preop diet, I will have some that I like and can drink. My preop diet is to consist of 3-4 meal replacement/protein shakes per day as well as all of the "no calorie" Clear Liquids I want. So I have been trying some of the Protein drinks. I've found I like the powdered mixes better than the "ready to serve" varieties which, to me, have a horrible after taste. My concern is that I have noticed that, while the protein drinks will definitely provide the protein I need during that time, they lack other nutrients. So where do I get all of the other Vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that my body needs during that time? Are there Protein Shakes out there that have the added vitamins and minerals too? I have to do 3 weeks of the liquid preop diet....

GNC carries allot of good Meal Replacements with Vitamins, minerals. Since you have the time do a search on the different types and whey Proteins online. It will tell you the Protein & vit/min content. It's usually best to get vanilla and you can usually add a sugar free Jello to flavor it differently. As for the horrible aftertaste ALLOT have it, you eventually get used to it, as your tastebuds will be constantly changing during your weight loss. GOOD LUCK

I wouldn't worry about it. You will only be on them for a limited time. Just make sure you have a good multivitamin too.

The Multivitamins need to be chewables, right? Are there particular brands that are better for lap band patients?

GNC carries allot of good Meal replacements with Vitamins,minerals. Since you have the time do a search on the different types and whey Proteins online. It will tell you the Protein & vit/min content. It's usually best to get vanilla and you can usually add a sugar free Jello to flavor it differently. As for the horrible aftertaste ALLOT have it, you eventually get used to it, as your tastebuds will be constantly changing during your weight loss. GOOD LUCK

How much of the sugar free Jello do you use to add flavor to the drinks?

I'm currently on the preop diet, my surgery is Monday. My dr has me on 4 of the high Protein slim fast shakes they are 180 cals and 20 g of protein per shake. They taste horrible but it could be worse. I Can have sf Jello and sf ice pops and sf liquids along with clear broth. Everything totals 800 cals and 80 g of protein daily.

I just went to the surgeon yesterday for my Pre-Surgery visit (I will be banded on the 29th!) And he told me to pick a Protein drink that as at least 25 to 35 grams of Protein a serving so that I have at least 72 grams of protein a day. He said it's important to like the drink, so he never specifies any particular brand. I was at costco the other day and they have a Protein Drink that is 30 grams per serving. I plan to pick those up and see if I like them. I haven't tried them yet.

My surgeon told me to keep taking a multi Vitamin daily.

I am on the Opti-Fast 800 diet per my surgeon and have surgery next week. It consists of two shakes, two bars and a Soup packet a day. Nice to have a a little variety.

The Multivitamins need to be chewables, right? Are there particular brands that are better for lap band patients?

Pre op you can take any multivitamin. Post op, yes they have to be chewable.< /p>

There are a lot of varieties, I know Bariatric Advantage makes chewables just for bariatric patients. I personally just buy Centrum Chewables on the local pharmacy.

The key is to label read- the more 100% you see down the daily allowance side, the better.