Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe the grass isn't always greener

For those that regret their decision to be banded or are contemplating WLS and think that the sleeve is 'perfect" this is a brilliant thread that I think is well worth reading. It shows that people with sleeves have exactly the same issues that people with bands do.Some are ecstatically happy with their choice, some wish they had never done it. Some had serious complication etc.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/74528-would-you-have-weight-loss-surgery-again/page__st__120

So remember there is no perfect WLS. Each individual has to decide , in conjunction with their Dr, what they feel is right for them. It is very important to be aware of possible risks and complications. Whatever surgery you decide on , make sure you do it with your EYES WIDE OPEN.

I don't understand the point of your post.

Here's the survey from this site:

Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for. (23 votes [51.11%])

Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option. (12 votes [26.67%])

Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery. (6 votes [13.33%])

No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals. (1 votes [2.22%])

I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision! (0 votes [0.00%])

Other...read my response below! (3 votes [6.67%])

Here's the post from VST:

Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I’d hoped for. (80 votes [62.99%])

Yes, probably. The journey hasn’t been easy, but I’m losing weight and feel that this was my best option. (27 votes [21.26%])

Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery. (4 votes [3.15%])

No. I’ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven’t been hitting my weight loss goals. (4 votes [3.15%])

I haven’t had the surgery yet, but I’m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision! (10 votes [7.87%])

Other...read my response below! (2 votes [1.57%])

Interesting that you don't understand the point of the post, I thought I explained myself quite clearly!

It shows that people with sleeves have exactly the same issues that people with bands do.Some are ecstatically happy with their choice, some wish they had never done it. Some had serious complication etc.

You have posted the summary info from the survey but it is far more interesting to read the entire thread. If you do this then you will discover that not everyone thinks the sleeve is the perfect solution as a number of unhappy bandsters would have us believe.

I do find it rather ironic that it is OK for you to post in this forum telling us how bad and how dangerous the band is and how soon it won't be used as a form of WLS anymore yet when someone posts a direct link to a sleeve forum that gives a range of opinions on the sleeve you can't see the point.

The whole point is balance and giving people as much information as possible so that they can make informed decisions.

Yikes. It's like you could take the VSG out of the forum and replace it wit LGAB?

"They haven't dealt with their head issues and feel that cutting out their stomach will fix everything..."

Wow! Even though I'm not a very successful bandster and often feel angry at my band and myself, I couldn't imagine if I had lopped off a big chunk of my stomach and then felt frustrated and angry with that decision too. I'd be beside myself with regret. Once your stomach is gone, its gone...

Thanks!

For those that regret their decision to be banded or are contemplating WLS and think that the sleeve is 'perfect" this is a brilliant thread that I think is well worth reading. It shows that people with sleeves have exactly the same issues that people with bands do.Some are ecstatically happy with their choice, some wish they had never done it. Some had serious complication etc.

http://www.verticals...n/page__st__120

So remember there is no perfect WLS. Each individual has to decide , in conjunction with their Dr, what they feel is right for them. It is very important to be aware of possible risks and complications. Whatever surgery you decide on , make sure you do it with your EYES WIDE OPEN.

hang in there GF

we support you no matter what

Yikes. It's like you could take the VSG out of the forum and replace it wit LGAB?

Yea, I haven't looked at this thread, but I spent a little time on the Sleeve forum, and what I read there made me glad I was banded.

But what Elcee said is absolutely true. There were people there who were totally happy and loosing weight, there were people there complaining about how the surgery had ruined their lives and they wished they had never done it. People who had lost, and regained because they went back to their old habits. People who thought the sleeve was WLS magic and the weight was just supposed to melt off.

In other words, all the same types of people that we see here. Although the ones that I found most interesting were the ones who wanted to know if they could have the band installed even though they had the sleeve. :) The grass is always greener.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote Terry.

Yes, 4 people said no. Two had really serious complications, one was a month post op and missing her food addiction, one lost her marriage. The one factor in VSG that scares me is the types of peri postoperative complications; leaks, infection, etc, are higher than banding (1-2% vs .5%), but the long term complications are greater with the band. Since close to 100 people took the survey, the #s are pretty representative of the stats. The recovery from sleeve is longer and more difficult, requiring more time off from work.

It's a dicey situation, but being in my place, would you wish you had just done the one other available restrictive surgery in the first place? I'm no spring chicken and I'm dealing with some pretty massive issues right now...20 months out of 35. It's unlikely I can revise because of the band damage...there are cases where it would have been better to deal with a 1-2% complication rate early on and then go on with your life, rather than spending precious time, resources and suffering trying to figure out what is wrong and then more time, resources and suffering treating it.

Like I asked, just curious as to your point. Its important to read all the posts on both sides of this and for those deciding on WLS to make a fully informed consent. Thanks for posting this :)

Maui, a little too defensive? It's just a post pointing out that there are happy and unhappy people in both or all camps. I don't see where you were singled out but you seem to be making it all about you? It's not. Relax.

tmf

Maui, a little too defensive? It's just a post pointing out that there are happy and unhappy people in both or all camps. I don't see where you were singled out but you seem to be making it all about you? It's not. Relax.

tmf

TMF, I feel things happen in all WLS, good and bad. At least that is what I was told. Were you told that also? So it should not be a surprise to anyone that complications do and can happen. I was made aware of it. Its a shame dr's do not tell their patients or the patients don't listen and are on the say anything to get the surgery kick and no listening ears. You and Terry made some excellent points as did Elcee.

Interesting that you don't understand the point of the post' date=' I thought I explained myself quite clearly!

It shows that people with sleeves have exactly the same issues that people with bands do.Some are ecstatically happy with their choice, some wish they had never done it. Some had serious complication etc.

You have posted the summary info from the survey but it is far more interesting to read the entire thread. If you do this then you will discover that not everyone thinks the sleeve is the perfect solution as a number of unhappy bandsters would have us believe.

I do find it rather ironic that it is OK for you to post in this forum telling us how bad and how dangerous the band is and how soon it won't be used as a form of WLS anymore yet when someone posts a direct link to a sleeve forum that gives a range of opinions on the sleeve you can't see the point.

The whole point is balance and giving people as much information as possible so that they can make informed decisions.[/quote']

Why not post on the preop forum? I actually did read the entire thread before you posted this. I just wondered what your intent was. Now I know, thank you.

Maui' date=' a little too defensive? It's just a post pointing out that there are happy and unhappy people in both or all camps. I don't see where you were singled out but you seem to be making it all about you? It's not. Relax.

tmf[/quote']

I don't think so. Like Elcee said, gotta get all the information out there. I asked a valid and relevant question in light of the context.