Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From 1/30, to 2/7, to 2/14...finally BANDED 4/9/2013!

Thanking God for finally getting here...to the other side! I started this journey actually back in October 2012. Had to get BCBS approval (that was a chore in itself!), then scheduling with my surgeon (I live in Europe, so this was a challenge), then I get admitted on 2/13, only to be told that evening that there was something wrong with my red blood cells and, because this was elective surgery, I needed to get this cleared up first and then come back. WHATTHEHECK? I was devastated!

I left the hospital the next day and went to my GP, who in turn sent me to a hematologist Through a series of blood tests it seems that I have an inherited blood disease from one of my parents. It's not something that is curable, but good to know that I have it. It's called Thalassaemia minor. Now at first I panicked because my mom passed away 5 years ago from Mulitple Myeloma, a rare form of cancer. The issues with my blood the doctors were originally telling me were similar to the myeloma. I retreated into a shell. Didn't get on LBT, shut those around me out except my best friend...my sister in Christ. And it's an added blessing that she is a minister of the gospel! She wouldn't allow me to get depressed or wallow in self pity. We fasted and prayed and God heard our prayers. Others I know prayed for me not knowing the issues, but praying for me nevertheless. After I was diagnosed with this blood disease, the hematologist said that it was OK for me to still have my surgery, I marched to my surgeon's office with this information, only to be told that his team of doctors still thought that there was something else and wanted to do MORE blood work. I say the devil is a LIE. I let them do the bloodwork, which he said would be about a week. Well, that went into 2 weeks, then by week 3 I started calling and emailing and said--it don't take that long to look at my blood! Either you're going to do the surgery or you aren't! He finally said that they found nothing more than the Thalassaemia in my blood and I could schedule a date! Praise GOD!!

So I went in on April 8th, with surgery scheduled for the morning of the 9th. Wouldn't you know it...the surgeon stopped by to say my Vitamin K was low and I looked at him...like you'd better not send me home again!...and he said that that could mean excessive bleeding and they would just be prepared if that happens. Well surgery went without a hitch! He seemed surprised that it went so easily when he told me that. I just looked at him and said I'm a praying woman...God said that this was for ME, and no matter what curves are thrown my way, God would make sure that I have what is for ME!

I'm home now (they wanted to keep me in the hospital but there really wasn't any reason...I was just looking at the walls). My close friends have been angels (I'm an empty-nester..my daughter is finishing her first year of college). I have everything set up here at home--my Water, Protein Shakes, Jello, broths, chicken Soups (which I'll drink the broth from), books on my kindle and movies. I'd even bought an abdominal belt which has helped tremendously with excess movement of my stomach where my incisions are. I've been able to sleep in my own bed with lots of pillows and set up in my recliner with pillows and blankets.

I'm blessed and highly favored and ever so thankful to be in the land of the banded! First fill in 6 weeks! Happy me!!! :D :D :D

Got my band yesterday 4/15. Went home the day of surgery and was feeling great. Now the pain is kicking in since general anesthesia wore off. What is everyone eating? I know I'm not supposed to but I honestly could eat solid food now I feel. They filled me with 3 cc but I really don't feel restriction. Anyone else feel that way?

My surgeon said it was fine and actually wanted me to eat solids so I would at least feel some restriction. Every surgeon is different.