Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went an got my first fill I have 4 cc and I still feel no Restriction wth!!!! And why can't I drink Water during meals!!! It's so hard I'm so thirsty , he said a whole hr!! After eating?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Every doctor has their own rules about drinking with meals.

As far as restriction, it takes most people multiple fills before they have adequate Fluid in their bands. Be patient, it will come but it does take time.

The reason you can't drink Water with meals because the water washes the food through the pouch.. If there is no water in there it takes longer for the food to go into your stomach, which causes you to feel full for a longer period of time and eat less. I have been banded for almost 4 months and I still can't comply with the no water during meals rule. I agree. It's very very very hard. Just make it a goal and also take baby steps. Perhaps you could drink only two or three or 4 ounces of water with your meal instead of 10 or 12 or 16 ounces. My weight loss has been slow, not following the rules. But my life has been doable. It's a lifestyle change, so every rule will take some time to perfect. Some people are natural rule followers, and I'm sure those people will have better success faster. And then there are people like me Who are rule breakers and for whom success will take much longer. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just understand why the rule is in place, and work toward achieving it.

I have to partially agree with Pebbagirl. If you eat and use Fluid to wash your food down you will lose the opportunity for the band to work it's magic. The fact is, each bite stays in your pouch just one minute. Some doctors allow their patients to sip during meals but they must wait 1 minute afer swallowing to allow the food to pass through the stoma.

It's my opinion that it's good for you to learn to not use fluids as a tool during meals. The obese and newly banded can have little to no will power or control over some of our old habits. I also believe most docs have not jumped on the "sip while eating" wagon simply because many of us have so little self control that we would abuse this privilege. I learned how to eat with the band the old way. No drinking while eating. Now, it doesn't bother me that I don't drink with meals even though I have the self control to have a glass of Water beside my plate.

Follow your doctor's rules and once you become a lapband ninja warrior in the green zone maybe then you can experiment with sipping? Until then, learning to live and eat with the band is going to be one of the biggest challenges you will face since being banded.

tmf

I always get stuck if i even attempt to drink while i am eating, drinking with food i believe is a habit you have learned and can therefore unlearn it, i certainly think its a cultural thing too, in the UK its just not a done thing really except when its wine etc. just follow your own doctors rules and rely on his expertise and not all us amateurs on the forum :)

I'm so glad you posted this! I have the hardest time not drinking while eating and I'm only 5 days post-op. I'm following the rules because the surgery would have been a waste if I don't. Just want you to know I completely understand :-)