Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seafood and the band?

So I've tried eating shrimp a couple of times since being banded and every time I throw up. Is this normal? The nutritionist told me pre op that seafood was one of the best options but, I'm struggling getting it down and keeping it down! Ugh!

Some people have trouble with shrimp and many other Proteins, chicken, eggs etc during there first few months of being banded. Shrimp is a little harder to chew and may slip down and be more difficult for you to digest. If you go to the Lap Band Talk site you will see on the list that shrimp is one of the seafoods that they do not recommend or state may be difficult. The highest in Protein and easist to digest are fish filets, salmon, tuna and crab.Salmon and tuna are very high in protein.Do you like sushi or specifically Ahi Tuna, this is an excellant source of protein and easily digested due to it's soft velvet like texture. As you can tell , I love it. I also love Tilapa grilled or baked or salmon. I will tell you what I can eat today 2 and half years out and what I could eat in the beginning are totally different. I have more issues with leafy lettuce and collard greens, spinach and broccoli than I do most proteins. Just keep trying and one day you will be able to eat shrimp again.

Thank you so much for the help, I felt like there was something wrong with me! I love all seafood and have noticed scallops and shrimp are the only two I have any issue with! I'll stay away from it for a bit!! Thank you again!

I have no problem eating shrimp but I remember someone telling me the other day that their doctor told them not to eat it because some people have problems. Something about it can be stringy. Everyone is definitely different.

Shrimp is sometimes hard. cut real tiny

wendy

I just chew really really well. I do well with most except clam strips, which I use to love. Mostly, I do fish. Some people just have problems with certain things. Now that I am just in a fine tuning of my band scrambled egg almost impossible to eat.

Seafood has been a great ally during my journey. Especially shrimp. Depending on how it's cooked, low cal and yummmmy. I've never had any trouble with shrimp, clams, or crab meat. I hate fish, but I'm assuming its flaky texture would be ok. Crab legs are probably the best for banders in my opinion. Think about it, it takes so long to crack open the shells therefore you feel full sooner. It's easier to listen to your body when you can't mindlessly eat. Cut it small and chew chew chew. Like someone said the stingy foods when you chew tend to be the hardest to get down. For example pineapple has never agreed with my band however everyone is different.

So I've tried eating shrimp a couple of times since being banded and every time I throw up. Is this normal? The nutritionist told me pre op that seafood was one of the best options but' date=' I'm struggling getting it down and keeping it down! Ugh![/quote']

I have tried shrimp...its a no go...but crab cake breadless of course...o boy...Yummy!

I have tried shrimp...its a no go...but crab cake breadless of course...o boy...Yummy!

do you make your breadless crab cakes or buy them, they sound delicious?

Donna

I love seafood and have persisted with prawns/shrimps despite a few bad episodes. I've found i need to have a longer break between bites compared to some other foods. Calamari/squid has also been a challenge on some days. Fish i find is an easy go to options for all eating out occasions, touch wood never had an issue to date.

I have a wonderful recipe for crab cakes. I don't know how it stacks up nutritionally but it doesn't use a lot of breadcrumbs for filler so it is better than most. I 'fry' them on a pancake griddle with just a little oil so it's not a diet-buster. I'm happy to share it. I made these when my husband and I had a food truck. Big seller!

Cajun-Style Crab Cakes

6 Slices white bread

1 tsp garlic, minced

2 eggs

1lb crab meat

¼ c heavy cream

4 green onions

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

5 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled

½ tsp dry mustard

1 tsp Cajun spice mix

Salt, to taste

Tear up bread slices and grind in a blender or food processor. Add eggs, cream and lemon juice to form a heavy batter, then remove to a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients. Fry in oil or on oiled grill. Serve with Creole Honey-Mustard Sauce.

Creole Honey-Mustard Sauce

1 tbsp vegetable oil

6 tbsp Mayonnaise

1 tbsp green peppercorns, crushed

6 tbsp sour cream

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tbsp honey

1 shallot, minced

½ c dry white wine

2 tbsp Dijon mustard

In a small, non-reactive saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the peppercorns, pepper, and shallots for about 3 minutes or until the shallots are translucent. Add the white wine and simmer until the wine has almost completely evaporated. Let cool. Add the remaining ingredients and check the seasoning.

Oh, the sauce is DIVINE!! Enjoy.