Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating out of a measuring cup????

yep. i'm really struggling w Portion Control. sooooo....since i didn't eat my salad i'd made myself today for lunch - so i ate it when i got home tonight for dinner. i got mostly ham/turkey and hard boiled egg whites and some shredded lettuce and measured out one cup, and ate it right out of the measuring cup. now, to some of you guys, this may sound silly, but for some reason - i really felt 'in control' .....i had my portion, and i was ok. and i ABSOLUTELY did not drink. i set the timer on my phone ( so i wouldn't drink for 30 min), and walked away. this is kinda big for me.... that's the two things i struggle w is portion control and not drinking while i eat!!! thanks for listening.... what do you guys do to assist w/portion control? thanks guys!!

Good job!

Soft things like yogurt, bean, cottage cheese etc I use a measuring cup and sometimes eat out of said cup.lol

Solid Protein I go by the deck of cards size, that we were taught in nutrition class.

I do keep track of calories and Protein. I hope when I've had enough practice I will just be able to eyeball it.

Portions have always been my problem, but doing everything to relearn Portion Control.< /p>

Go job on measuring your portions, keep it up!

I get my Protein (meat/chicken/fish) weighed at the store into the proper portions. My salad, veggies, fruit, I eye ball. Tonight I had a burger. Where I buy them they are 4oz sliders. They are super and then I add cheese, that is a must.

Do whatever works for you! Who cares what others think. In restaurants, I order from the children's menu or take home 1/2.

I bought small Rubbermaid containers. They hold 1.2 cups so I almost fill them. I use them for taking lunch to work, storing leftovers in individual portions in the freezer so I have them ready to go, and many times at home I will serve my dinner in them and it keeps me in check and measures my food. :)

I was told to use measuring cups and not a scale. Saying that I bought a small scale to measure my nut/seed/fruit mix and my granolas. They are things that dont fit easy in measuring cup and I don't want to eat more then a portion.

I will say you start out exactly doing what doctor says but little by little you end up tailoring to you and your lifestyle. So I agree do what works for you.

I have a bowl that goes with my dish set that is small, maybe for salad, that I know I can fill and that's my portion. I did measure it out with Water to be sure and it's a one cup bowl. I know that if I eat out of it I can relax, and I have also been using some old baby spoons and forks from when my kids were little. Everything helps, nothing wrong with eating out of measuring equipment if it works!!

FYI...my nutritionist told me to not be so concerned with cals, carbs, etc. and just be sure I'm eating my portion and protiens and vegetables. Very hard on me mentally, I feel like if I don't count, I wont lose!!

I, always, eat of a salad plate. When I 1st started with my pre-diet, 3 years ago, I used a child fork and spoon. I, now, use a salad fork along with my salad plate. When I set the table, my son and I get salad forks and plate(my son had surgery in 2011), and my hubby an d-i-l get full size plates and forks. You can fool your eyes and stomach with just this little help! Good wishes to all. Karen

If it works it is good. Congratulations on the not drinking part too. That was really hard for me. I still forget sometimes in a restaurant if the helpful waiter has brought me Water I did not order! Keep it up. The extra work is worth it!