Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushies Stage Recipes

Theese all sound good !! I can not have carbs =( does anybody have any low carb mushy foods?

go to the bookstore and look at the south beach diet book, look inside for the stage 1 list of food ( all you can eat ) and pick out any of the mooshie foods and these ARE all no carb foods. I hope this helps!

Theese all sound good !! I can not have carbs =( does anybody have any low carb mushy foods?

Best mushie I have tried so far. Alot of people say Taco Bells refried Beans which are good but full of fat and calories so I decided to make something similar at home. I bought Amys Organic Refried Black Beans. Only 3 grams of fat in a serving and like 120 calories but of course a serving is way too much. I took those beans and heated them up on the stove with some tomatilla salsa. A little bit of low moisture skim mozzarella (its the only cheese I had on hand but any would be good I would think). I put a tiny bit of sour cream on top when they were heated. It was like heaven in a spoon. A couple of bites and I was done. My surgeon doesn't think you need to puree everything as long as you get it that consistency in your mouth so I didn't bother to puree and it went down great. I will eat this even when I am on solids. It was great and a good source of Protein. I am sure it was healthier than the Taco bell kind too and so much better!

as soon as i read this i jumped right on it i knew i had everyting..

I used canned beans 90 cals 1/2 cup ( they weren't low fat i didn't have any and was starving

Salsa 10 cals 1tsp

Low fat chesse mozz

It was the bestt

Oh yum! I just had to share my first "cooking" experience since getting the band. I'm on day 3 of mushies. First, I have few cooking skills. I've lived on fast food and frozen dinners for much of my life. This was my masterpiece:

-canned Tomato sauce (plain kind, I added garlic and basil to the sauce

-2 Tablespoons tomato cause (with whatever spices you like...I used garlic and basil)

-1 Tablespoon of low fat ricotta cheese

-1 teaspoon of skim milk

-1/2 teaspoon low fat parm cheese sprinkles

1 teaspoon ground turkey sausage crumbles (Jimmy Dean, precooked)

-1 glass 1 Cup custard cup

-1/2 low fat string mozzarella cheese, pulled apart

First I mixed the milk, parm and ricotta with a fork. I covered the bottom with sauce, then layered the cheese and sauce. The sausage crumbled were precooked, so I just took a teaspoon and ground it up further in my Magic Bullet. The sausage went on top, then the string cheese. Oh yum. Totally simple, but really hit the spot.

Because I used my own homemade tomato sauce, there were no lumps. The string cheese didn't melt particularly well on top, but I stirred this altogether and it was great. I didn't have to chew a whole bunch (I'm still pretty tired) and the yield was 1/2 cup, which was perfect. I used just a touch of sausage because I hadn't had any meat up to this point and really just wanted some flavoring. It was enough to really fool my mouth into thinking it was really lasagna!! YUMMMM.

I like to take low fat cottage cheese or ricotta, low fat mozarella, spaghetti sauce (low fat or healthy choice). I layer it like lasagna without the lasagna. Sprinkel parmessian cheese on top and bake in oven. Yum.

If you like egg plant, peel and slice it lengthwise fry lightly in healthy margarine and layer it between layers of cheese and cottage cheese.Even the grandkids

ate it without making a face :>)

thanks for the great advise. I worry about getting enough protein! I am about 1 week 'til my surgery. glad to have so much advise.

there's some yummy things you can do with cottage cheese. I add a scoop to my Protein Shake, makes it super thick. I add a 1/2 cup to my s/f/free pudding. You can add it to Soup, put it in a blender with a cup of the soup and puree it and add back to the soup. You can add it to casserols. You can puree it with some splenda and a few drops of flavoring like what ever, chochlate and use it to dip fruit in.

this recipe sounds good, look forward to trying it. thank you!

1 whole head of garlic

2 shallots

1-2 T olive oil for sautee

1 small sandwich baguette, cubed

1/4-1/2 c parmesean cheese

3 c chicken broth/stock (you can substitute 1/2 cup with white wine for added kick if you like)

1/2 c fage plain yogurt

sautee garlic and shallots slowly in oil until carmelized. Add stock and bring to boil. Lower heat and add bread. Cook until the bread is soft and mushy. Remove from heat. Add yogurt and cheese. Dump in blender or food processor and blend until creamy. This tastes so good and is great for boosting your immunity.

how do i know what stage i am at

the mushie or solid

last week i was able to cottage cheese

this week crock pot foods and thicker Soups

tuna

One of the healthiest and tastiest things that Portuguese people eat is their Soups. Their creamy and filling and full of Vitamins. This is a Soup for people who hate to eat vegetables and who don't get enough minerals and Vitamins. There are many variations so I will start with the basics.

The base for any Portuguese soup:

-1 cup cubed pumpkin or acorn squash (Portuguese use pumpkin but I bet you can use any variation of squash and it should be nice, I know it sounds weird but trust me these soups are great!)

-2 cups carrots cubed

-1 medium onion chopped

-1 cup scallions chopped

-2 medium potatoes cubed or 1 can of Beans (your choice they usualy use navy or butter beans) (use ONLY potatoes OR Beans but not both)

-1 tablespoon of sea salt

-4 tablespoons olive oil

Bring a large pot of Water and salt to boil. Add all ingredients and boil until soft, add Water as necessary. When all the vegetables are soft, add the olive oil and blend with a magic wand (hand blender) until smooth. This is the base.

Soup Variations

If you used beans:

-1 cup chopped artichokes or 1 cup chopped cabbage or any other vegetable you like to eat with beans. Add to the pot, and boil until soft. If you want chunks the soup is ready, if you want it creamy, blend again.

If you used potatoes:

- add whatever vegetables you want, green beans, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, peas add as much or as little as you like, all chopped into smaller pieces. You can even add more potato or carrot if you want chunks.

-If you want a creamy soup, add these vegetables and boil until soft (always adding more water as needed) and then blend again when all the vegetables are soft. The more water you use the thinner it will be, the less, the thicker it will be.

-If you want chunks in your soup, add the vegetables cut to your desired size and then boil until soft.

-Small chunks of white meat chicken can also be added for extra Protein.

Options: you can always add herbs for different taste like thyme and parsley. I sometimes use Mrs.Dash for extra flavors and fresh ground pepper; it's a taste choice so have fun with it. Also you can use bags of frozen mixed vegetables that are already chopped up to save time and to get a better variety.

Note: These soups freeze well, I often freeze individual portions and then thaw and microwave on the day I eat them. If you make a big pot it will usually stay in the fridge for about a week, frozen about a month. I know it sounds like a lot of work but 1 pot usually makes a weeks worth of servings so if you make it on the weekend it will last all week. Most Portuguese people eat these soups for dinner because they generally have a big lunch. I also like to eat a bowl of soup with some wheat crackers and sliced lunch meat like turkey or chicken. It makes a very filling and healthy meal.

I just wanted to post this little quick recipe that saved me during the pureed/mushy stage. It's real simple, Protein packed and really filling...and REALLY yummy!!

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup of Fat Free Refried Beans

2 Tablespoons (more if desired) of Low Skim Ricotta cheese

1/3 Cup Low Fat Grated cheese

1 Tablespoon Fat Free Sour Cream

Mix the first two ingredients together. Top with grated Cheese. Put in microwave for about a minute. Top with sour cream and enjoy!

Aprox Calories: 263

Aprox Protein: 19 Grams

Most of the time I could only eat half of this so I saved the rest for dinner. 263 calories is not bad for two meals! Enjoy!

I've only been banded for 1 week and just started on the mushie phase yesterday, but I love to cook and I've been blogging recipes as I go. Here are links to a few recipes:

Buffalo chicken Hummus - http://happilyafterlapband.blogspot.com/2011/12/high-protein-mushie-food-buffalo.html

Protein pudding - http://happilyafterlapband.blogspot.com/2011/12/protein-pudding-cookies-cream.html

I'll be adding more and more as the week goes on!

Wow, These recipes all sound good. Way too good, I'm thinking. I'm noticing a trend of high fat in a lot of them and not a whole lot of Protein. Isn't this what got us into trouble in the first place. The only one I think I would actually make is the tuna and avocado salad. Tuna has a lot of protein and avocado has good fat.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. I won't be in my mushy stage until next Saturday but I'm looking forward to tuna and light mayo!!!!! :)

I love smoothies, unfortunetly, many aren't quite as healthy as one would home. I've created my own Breakfast smoothie recipe, using some of my favorite ALR Industries supplements, in specific HumaPro Protein. HumaPro is a vegetable origin based Protein with only 2 calories and 0g carbs/sugar per serving. Additionally, it supports the stabiliation of blood glucose levels, which is great

Here is the link to the recipe that I put on my blog - it's very tasty!

http://fitnessbarbielaurengleisberg.blogspot.com/2012/09/fruit-breakfast-smoothie.html

Wonderful mushies treat!!!

old habits die hard

2 cup Splenda

1/2 cup milk, nonfat

1 cup unsweetened apple sauce

4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup smart Balance All Natural creamy Peanut Butter

3 cups oats

1 tablespoon villa

Directions

In a medium saucepan, combine sweetener. milk, applesauce, and cocoa. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in Peanut Butter, oats, and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax or parchment paper. Let cool until hardened. Makes approximately 18 Cookies

Number of Servings: 18