Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you vomit should you stay on liquids the rest of the day?

Yes! Vomiting is a leading cause of band slips. The more you vomit the higher the chances. The best thing to do is rest your band by going on liquids then slowly building back up to solids. If you still have trouble, call your doctor.

Yes! Vomiting is a leading cause of band slips. The more you vomit the higher the chances. The best thing to do is rest your band by going on liquids then slowly building back up to solids. If you still have trouble, call your doctor.

Ok I am very new to this. I think I ate too quick. I will eat slower

Depends on how severe it was?

Was it a full blown hurl(stomach contraction and violent ejection of food) or did you just regurgitate some food in your esophogus?

Um...no? I usually need to stop eating/drinking for a few hours and than resume my normal eating. Especially if you got stuck because you ate too big of a piece, ate too fast or took too much food in. Basically, you broke the rules. But you don't want to compound the issue by adding pressure or getting restuck and starting a eat-vomit cycle.

If on the next time you eat AND you follow your rules AND you vomit...than maybe you inflammed the stoma and you will want to do liquid to solid transitioning.

I've had the band for 3.5 years with no adverse effects

Depends on how severe it was?

Was it a full blown hurl(stomach contraction and violent ejection of food) or did you just regurgitate some food in your esophogus?

Full blown vomit

Um...no? I usually need to stop eating/drinking for a few hours and than resume my normal eating. Especially if you got stuck because you ate too big of a piece' date=' ate too fast or took too much food in. Basically, you broke the rules. But you don't want to compound the issue by adding pressure or getting restuck and starting a eat-vomit cycle.

If on the next time you eat AND you follow your rules AND you vomit...than maybe you inflammed the stoma and you will want to do liquid to solid transitioning.

I've had the band for 3.5 years with no adverse effects[/quote']

I will try to eat tonight

Full blown vomit

Then I wouldn't try eating tonight. I'd go on liquids until tomorrow to give your stomach, stoma, and esophagus time to relax and unswell. You don't want to risk vomiting again.

Vomiting is really dangerous with the band, btw. If you do it again please call your doctor so he can help you figure out how to stop.

I agree I would go on liquids or the very least a soothing Protein Shake that will slide down nicely..

Vomiting comes from below the band...from the stomach and is not related to the band although it has to pass the band on the way up....

Regurgitation is band related....BIG difference........

In the years I have been banded, I have yet to vomit....but it does scare me...especially since I travel out of the country and have gotten food poisoning and other strange viruses on occasion....If I have restriction on the way down, I can only imagine the force of a violent vomit coming up from below........that is why for extreme emergencies I carry a syringe when I travel.......

I've vomitted once since being banded ( not band related) and having the restriction I have it was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt.

As the others have said stick to liquids for a day or two to let the irritation/swelling go down. When I had my episode it was about four days before I could eat again I had so much swelling.

For a full blown episode at least 24 hours, ideally 48 hours of liquids, progressing thru the stages of soft to solids after.

Vomiting comes from below the band...from the stomach and is not related to the band although it has to pass the band on the way up....

Regurgitation is band related....BIG difference........

In the years I have been banded' date=' I have yet to vomit....but it does scare me...especially since I travel out of the country and have gotten food poisoning and other strange viruses on occasion....If I have restriction on the way down, I can only imagine the force of a violent vomit coming up from below........that is why for extreme emergencies I carry a syringe when I travel.......[/quote']

Maybe it wasn't vomit. I don't think it came from the stomach but not sure. What is the syringe for? I travel a lot too