Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tolerating bread?

How many out there were able to tolerate bread before their first fill? I can totally do it (nearly a month P/O)--I am wondering if I can tolerate it now, will I still be able to tolerate it post-fill #1?

I can eat bread still and I've had 3 fills, I have 1.4ml in a 4ml band. It sticks and gives me discomfort if it's really white and fluffy but if I take it slow I can eat it, I nearly always choose good wholegrain bread. I dont subscribe to the low carb theories on diet and I do think bread is a valuable food, so I eat it. It hasnt stopped me losing by any stretch of the imagination but I dont eat more than a slice or two every couple of days.

The only breads I tried pre-fill were hard breads like croutons or pretzels. After my first fill I tried a tiny bit of DH's grilled burger bun and it did fine. I've also had pastry bread - filo dough - as it was the crust in a piece of quiche I ordered and it did fine too. I have not tried regular white bread - never did care for it much. Some day I will get brave and try pita. :(

I have a fill of 2.7 in a 4.0 band & have had no problems with bread in a reasonable quantity. I can eat sandwiches & breadsticks as long as I chew, chew, chew & not eat a lot. I can't do tortillas at all. They get stuck immediately. Funny how everyone is so different. :(

I can tolerate anything I eat, including bread, rolls, Bagels, tortillas, muffins, biscuits, pancakes.........Oh, God just think of it.........I can eat it. I eat slow, chew well and voila! no problem. I'm 1cc in a 4cc band currently, I've been up to 2.5cc and for medical reasons not related to the band had some removed. Even at 2.5cc, I could eat bread.

I have had one fill and I can eat bread and anything else I want,(sometimes I eat too many calories in one day because I am a grazer) but I have to eat very slow with the bread and dry things. Anything that is sticky is a problem. I know we are not spose to drink and eat at the same time but sometimes I will sip little sips when I eat and it helps stuff go down. I try to make my food out last my husband's and he eats very slow. He is also a trim body and is almost 59 years old. I think one very important keys to this whole thing with food is to slow down. I always ate so fast and looked for more. That is helping me. Changing life long habits is not easy but I am trying my best to not give up on me. I always have given up before but now with the band as a tool I feel I have new hope. Good luck too all of you!!

DArlene

That's really true. I swear the eating slow is doing much more for me than actual restriction per se. I get to about 20 minutes and I have that feeling of satisfaction, simply because Ive eaten for that long. Once upon a time I got a lot of food in in that 20 minutes, now its much less but equals similar satisfaction.

My biggest problem is that I want to eat (the grazing habit) all the time between meals. I love Snacks like chips etc. I do my best not to keep it around but other people are so KIND and bring all that to my work. I hate it. I have to go to the area where all that stuff is. It is an area where my supply closet is located and we are all in and out of that room 20 times a day. They are all skinny little people and can enjoy a little. I can't seem to leave it alone. Any body have any help for me? I am not really losing like I should because of this problem, I do excercise.

My biggest problem is that I want to eat (the grazing habit) all the time between meals. I love Snacks like chips etc. I do my best not to keep it around but other people are so KIND and bring all that to my work. I hate it. I have to go to the area where all that stuff is. It is an area where my supply closet is located and we are all in and out of that room 20 times a day. They are all skinny little people and can enjoy a little. I can't seem to leave it alone. Any body have any help for me? I am not really losing like I should because of this problem, I do excercise.

I get to eat everything, bread included, without any problem whatsoever... Had 3 fills and I'm with 6cc on a 10cc band. Never got stuck with any type of food: bread, Pasta, all sorts of vegetables with lots of fibre, fruit, etc - unfortunately for me, it all goes through too well... it's been ages I don't feel any restriction at all, but I'll be having another fill in May.

niki

I havent been able to eat bread, rice, Pasta or chicken breast since my 1st fill and it's been hard. I have tried but it's never worked.

I guess this is a good thing since all breads were my down fall. Now I don't even try them, I just stick to what I know works but I do miss eat bread. I think each person is different and with each fill comes new adventures.

Good luck with your fill.

I eat crackers and they seem to go okay. Even bread will work if I eat it slow enough and chew enough. Going for second fill on Wednesday and will see how that woks. I am so hoping I will have enough restricton it will help me to my goal. Been alittle disappointed because I am still struggling with food issues as I always have. I think more restriction will help. The last fill helped some but I can still eat plenty. Good luck to all

Darlene

I have 2cc in 4cc band and can eat whole wheat Pasta and bread just fine. :) Boy I wish I couldn't though. The past 3 days I kept running back to the breads when I couldn't get the turkey sausage or chicken down.

:eekB: Kristin