Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People are noticing...and I am anxious!

In the past week or so, quite a few people have noticed my weight loss. To date, I have lost over 50 pounds! I am starting to feel anxious though. I'm not ashamed of having the lap band but I am a private person. Some people at work know but not many. If I'm not ashamed, why don't I just tell them??

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I have been pretty open about what I have done. But the people I work with are super supportive. But, people are also starting to notice my weight loss and its only about 20 pounds. I feel pressure to loose even faster. But, the band is going to do its thing slow or fast and I just gotta let the pressure go. I would only tell people if you know they would support you, otherwise, you have the right to keep your weight loss private. Honestly, some people feel like this was the easy way out, but for me it hasnt been. I've had to face alot of demons on this journey and I'm only 3 weeks post op. Good luck. Congratulations on your weight loss.

In the past week or so, quite a few people have noticed my weight loss. To date, I have lost over 50 pounds! I am starting to feel anxious though. I'm not ashamed of having the lap band but I am a private person. Some people at work know but not many. If I'm not ashamed, why don't I just tell them??

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

why tell them? if they ask, say you are eating better and exercising.(not lying as that is what you are doing)...and you are as you are doing so dangum fantastic and take the compliment...be prepared, they be more coming for you missy.....GREAT GREAT JOB

First of all, congratulations on your success and having people notice! That is usually the best feeling, at least for me! I was also and still do feel the same about having the band. I don't know if I'm necessarily ashamed or embarrassed, but I do feel weird when I talk to people about it. Oddly enough, I openly admitted it to all of my Facebook friends the night before and the responses were overwhelmingly supportive! I do know that there are some people that still look at me as the girl who had to turn to weight loss surgery in order to lose weight, but here's my opinion on that- I'm going to be judged whether I lose weight on my own (and probably gain it back), stay overweight, or have weight loss surgery. I'd rather be judged for having weight loss surgery and reaching and maintaining my goal weight and healthy lifestyle above anything else! For me, having the band has been the most security I've ever had in terms of getting healthy and reaching my goal. Granted, I'm only 1-month post-op, but so far I feel pretty darn good! I'm learning to care less about what others think of me and care more about what I think about myself.

With all of that said, the band is a private matter and it is completely up to YOU who you share that with. There is a chance that some of the people at your job may have told others (that happened to me) but regardless, unless they've heard it from you, no one will know for sure. You can tell and not tell whoever you want. This is your journey and you are in charge! I feel that people will treat you based on how you come across. In other words, I didn't want to hide that I had my surgery because then I felt that others would assume I was embarrassed about it and I would become the talk to the town... So, me yelling it to the world I felt that I was showing people I was proud of my decision and I could care less what others thought about it! I have people every day asking me how I'm doing, that I look great, and that they're so happy for me! It feels great!

The choice is yours.. you will know what is right for you. Just be proud of your decision to get the band.. it takes a really courageous person to go through this! :)

I tell then explain how the band works specially mentally I never know who I can help with my story. But of course it is personnel for us all and there is plenty of time to share information. great job on you loss isn't it fun to have the work pay off for a change...I love it I am 28 lbs from goal and I have never ever been able to say that b4...I can see the goal line and it is so shinny its like winning a 5k run....

I think it is such a personal decision on who to tell what to. I was very open to most people about my surgery. However, 3 years later, there are still a few people I haven't told. Not sure exactly why, guess my gut just says they will be judgemental. Don't feel guilty about not telling, it is totally your right not to. As said, just say your eating right and exercising. When I get a compliment I usually say something like "thanks for noticing", or "yes, I've been working hard and feel great". Congrats on your weight loss!

To the point of many others....

I believe that you should tell people that are going to listen to your story and support your journey. Tell the people that are going to be pillars of strength and guidance when needed in our dark and sugar tempted hours. You get the choice. But make sure that it's something that you want to do. No need to be embarrassed. You have made a great choice with either way you choose to go as long as it supports your journey.

Cheers to your current and future success :)

I haven't told anyone. I don't want to hear the comments