Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Fibromyalgia... Anyone have the Band and FM? Pros/Cons??

HI,

I have Fibromyalgia and am starting my appointments for the Band. All the doctors say it's fine. I'd like to know what real people with Fibromyalgia (FM) think and experience!

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

I do, but have not been banded yet. However, the pain is part of my comorbid conditions and I have been told by several doctors that losing weight helps with fibromyalgia, even though it won't cure it. All of the health benefits from the weight loss are worth the gamble with the fibromyalgia for me. I hope you get an answer from someone who has been through it and has fibro, but if not, hopefully I will be able to update you soon. I'm just waiting on one piece of paperwork before approval! :)

I have Lupus and Fibro. I was banded on 4/3/12. I have lost a total of 65lbs. I still have pain but it's more tolerable. I have much more energy now. I am now able to walk 3 miles with ease. A few months ago, I ran up my steps with a full laundry basket. My 11 year daughter was in shock to see me running up the steps. I didn't evening realize I was running until she started streaming "mommy, you are running" Lap band is not a cure my weight lost has really helped. Good luck with your journey.

No cons. Only PROS!!!!!!!!

Hi Pinx and Lose100!

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this. There aren't many people pursuing the band with FM. I agree, there is no cure, but the comorbidities will hopefully go away and, everyone feels better with less weight!

I am in the process of the appointments. I hope you get your approval soon, Pinx.

Glad to hear of your success, Lose100! Glad to hear of no CONS!! I am hopeful to see lots of improvement in my life.

Thanks again, and please keep posting!

Contact me anytime

Contact me anytime

I have FMS Lupus and Raynauds. I have my band for 17 months. I have not seen significant improvement with these conditions of mine. However from losing weight i can walk longer i no longer have plantarfacitis clothes fit better. So i say its a win win for me.

Contraindications: The LAP-BAND® System is not recommended for non-adult patients, patients with conditions that may make them poor surgical candidates or increase the risk of poor results (e.g., inflammatory or cardiopulmonary diseases, GI conditions, symptoms or family history of autoimmune disease, cirrhosis), who are unwilling or unable to comply with the required dietary restrictions, who have alcohol or drug addictions, or who currently are or may be pregnant.

This is from lapbands site http://www.lapband.com/en/learn_about_lapband/safety_information/

I don't know if FM is inflammatory or auto immune, but I know that many have developed FM post-banding. Ask a lot of questions.

Just want to add, that this specific warning didn't exist when I got my band. I have IBS and today it's a contraindication. Sleeve is the surgery I would choose today.

Thanks, Brandi and Ms. Maui.

I have FM and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have other conditions that are "part of FM and CFS", such as Neurally Mediated Hypotension (drops in blood pressure), Reynauds, irregular pulses, and so much more.

I don't expect these conditions to change. I do expect my comorbidities of Type II Diabetes, Reflux, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, and some fatigue due to weight gain to go AWAY!

I am aware of that warning, Ms. Maui. I think the sleeve would be worse as there is a longer recovery time, the stomach being cut and stitched to not allow me to ever use an anti-inflammatory. With the band, my surgeon and others have said it as well, that I can use these sometimes. My achiness just needs an anti-inflammatory medication sometimes. I am trying to use it less now and hope to continue doing so.

With the sleeve, there are too many internal changes to my body to be potentially problematic for me. That is my thought. The least invasive and reversible is the best choice for me.

I will continue to ask lots of questions! You can never know enough!

Thanks again!

Oh, there is a new drug out for IBS! My neighbor just got it approved by the FDA about 1 year ago. It's out there! It's called Linzess. Check it out. The company that created it is called Ironwood based out of Cambridge, MA. Ask your doctor.

Good luck!

I was diagnosed with both Multiple Sclerosis and Fibro. I was banded 14 months ago and haven't had a single problem. While I know the band can't cure MS or Fibro, I do know it's made the symptoms these diseases cause a lot more tolerable.

My overall health has drastically improved. I no longer have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, nor am I borderline diabetic. The weight loss has also really helped the pains in my legs, which makes sense because they're not under nearly as much stress.

I personally would strongly recommend the band. It's been an absolute lifesaver for me.

I have FM. I have not really noticed a great difference in my symptoms. The only problem now is that my medication that I took before the surgery that relieved some symptoms I can no longer take because it's not good for the band! My flare ups and frequency have not changed either. For me, the band is awesome, however, it has not improved the symptoms of my FM. I do feel that because I feel better about myself that I handle my flare ups more positively. However, I can usually not exercise during those times! It may not fix my FM but it has been one of the most positive things I've done for myself! Everyone's body is different, so who knows, it may help you! Congratulations on starting your journey!