Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am new here. Banded back in July 2002! Had great success until my band slipped! Had revision surgery and have been gaining since...I am so scared. I am up to 149 that is w/dieting and exercising! The end of Jan I was 125 because I could hardly keep anything down. Had a huge unfill to see if my band would self correct. Never happened! I went from 125 to 139 the day of surgery (17 Mar) and since then I have gained 10 lbs. Had a small fill but I can't tell. I am looking for folks who have had experience with slippage surgery and where they able to get the weight off a second time around?

Dody

220-July 02

125-Jan 06 ( sick and unhealthy)

139 Mar 06 slippage surgery

149! 21 April HELP:mad:

Hi Dody!! My band was also removed in March of 06; I was banded in August of 2003. Mine was removed due to slippage also. I started at 235 and my lowest was 165 and I was 187 at removal and now I am at 190. I have been not eating the bread and drinking the carbonation since the band was removed. I did call about the gastric bypass today, but would need to gain 60 lbs and don't see that happening. It's hard and it sucks, but somehow we will make it. I am 5'7" tall, so I don't see myself at 130, but would like to be at 170; so I need to lose 20 lbs, but if I maintain that would be great too!!! Nice to meet you and take care, keep in touch!

Hi thanks for replying. How are you doing with your eating. Lord I have been awful the last couple of days. Been preparing a large function and have made some awful food choices. The scale read 5 lbs heavier this morning. I almost fainted! I have been exercising for a week. Do you want to get a new band? Thanks for writing. Keep in touch:)

Hi Dody, I had revision surgery to repair a slippage about 4 weeks ago and my weight has been going up up up ever since. I can't get a fill until May 10th, so my goal now is to do some damage control until I get restriction back.

Is there anything keeping you from getting another fill? I told my doc that I want him to fill me verrrrrrrrry slowly this time around, but I'm hoping the first one does the trick! Hang in there - there are many people on here who had slips who weren't able to get a new band. We're the lucky ones!

Anwyn,

Thanks for writing. You said your weight is spiraling...join the club. Are you exercising? I have for one week. This week was awful I worked around 70 hrs so for me to exercise 4 times that was a miracle. You asked if I am getting a fill. I go Monday and I can't wait. Tonight I ate 2 bowls of cucumbers waited never got that full feeling, ate a chicken breast and I was finally content. Full no. I miss restriction. I have now gained 14 lbs since 17 March. Makes me so sad. I have even tried to diet I can only imagine how much I would of gained if I wasn't trying to watch it. You are so true about bringing to my attention how lucky we are to of kept our bands. Thanks I needed that. take care

Dody

You are so lucky to still have your band. At least you have hope. I lost my band and I'm gaining with nothing to stop me. I am trying to get re-banded but the Dr. who did it stopped doing them. Good luck with your fills and I think its a smart idea to get a little at a time. I'm sure it will give you the restriction you need in time.

dear 123 honey e-mail

I am sorry to hear you lost your band:( Your absolutely wright I should be happy I still have it. Sometimes it's hard to be positive. Have had many family issues going on. Live overseas and we do not have the needed medical care my son needs and now we are in a dilemna. Waiting for a second opinion etc. To one doc it's minor to another he says drastic...we are military so we have no clue what is next. The timing of all this seems to be hitting us at once, I have tried so hard to stabilize my weight and gain willpower and it just isn't working. I went from 220 all the way to 120! I am 5 foot 7 inches and 120 was not for me. I never tried to get there it just happened I had a very slow slippage that is why I lost weight from 140 to 120 very slow about one year. This time I can barely stay at 151 with dieting, no carb, even running 4 times per week. Go figure! I know size 10-12 is not awful I just felt better in a 8 with no spare tire. I pray my band is ok as I had 2 small adjustments and the doc did flouro he said oh looks good you are tight now and no I am not. He is 2 hrs away and has broken English. My German is awful so what a lovely combination!

Can you go get a second opinion for another band. How did your band slip? Was it the large band or small one? Mine is the large one. Where did you get banded and when? Thanks for writing. hope to hear from you soon. Where are you located?

Dody:think

Dear Dody,

Thank you for your response. I live in Albany, NY. A size 12 is wonderful, especially since your 5"7. I'm surprised the service paid for your lapband. That's great. I just would like to know if my insurance will pay for me to have it again. My low weight was 150, now I am 176, size 14. I diet and go to the Y 4-5 times a week. Here at work all they do is eat. It's very hard. I want to go back to 150 so badly. I have to get myself together and stop indulging.The Dr. who did my band was 1 hour away so I know what you mean. I hope your son is OK and they can fix it without major surgery. How old is he? I'm leaving here in an hour or so and I'm off till Monday. I hope to hear from you again. Keep your chin up and please know I understand 100% .

Love, Honey

the thing is I am not stabilizing again. I am just slowly gaining. I was 125 end of Jan. I know I had no business at 125 I was sick and couldn't eat (slipped band)they unfilled my band 28 Jan and 17 Mar I was 139. Today I am 151 naked! I am frustrated because I am running 4 times a week. Tonight I did 2.6 miles and for me to run is hell! But I have been dedicated to it. Unfortunately the military didn't pay. I was self pay in Belgium back in 2003. Did your insurance pay for your band? Hope that my son's medical problems are answered soon. He is 16 and having a hard time:( makes me sad to see him struggle. He is such a bright boy. Have a good weekend and hope to hear from you soon. PS. my email is dnlroden@hotmail.com

Thanks

Dody

Hi Dody, Welcome to LBT. I have no experience with a slipped band but I did have a few thoughts about some of the things you've said. First, you said you ate cucumbers and couldn't get full, so you ate a chicken breast and were then ok.. not full, but no longer hungry. I would suggest eating that chicken first next time. Hard Proteins won't go through the band as easily, they take longer to breakdown and digest so you have the feeling of satiated longer. Reaching that point of being satisfied but not "full" is a good place to be. We are so used to thinking that the feeling of being stuffed means we are finished eating, when really we could stop long before that and no longer be hungry.

Also, you mentioned that you have been exercising for about a week. This means you are building muscle and muscle, while it takes up less room than fat, weighs a lot more. Someone who has lean muscle mass will look smaller but weigh more than the person who isn't. Make sense? It's possible that you are doing the right things but the scale is confusing you. Try taking your measurements over the next few weeks and see if they are increasing.

I'm sure that being banded for so long and having reached your goal weight, you probably have a lot you could teach most of us here. Sometimes though, we just need to stop and go back to the basics to see where we've gotten off track. I'm sure you'll do well once you tweak things a bit and get some restriction.

Best of luck to you, and again, welcome to LBT. Be sure to share a lot! We love experience!

thanks for writing and the welcome. I appreciat that. I am just so scared and frustrated. It now has been three weeks of running 4 x week. This has been extremely difficult for me as I hate running. Yesterday I went 2.6 miles. Today I weighed and I am up to 155? Monday I was 151. My size 10 jeans almost do not fit. My old 8's are too tight. My body literally feels like expanding daily? I started at 220 before and got down to 140 with effort but not hell like I feel like I am in. The doc asked me if I have been eating all day every day. I am scared because even though I am trying I continue to gain. 17 March 06 was my revision surgery and my weight continues to escalate even with two fills. I feel lost. Thanks again for your insight:)

Dody

Dody, I too have had revision due to a slippage and am a little over one year out from the revision. I have not lost hardly anything since the revision, I however had maintained with the new band up until middle of last month when I got food stuck and had to go for an emergency unfill. So currently I have had no restriction and had gained almost 10 pounds since the unfill. :eek: I got all worried and thought " I have not come this far with a loss of 133 pounds to start gaining now!" So I rejoined weight watchers to have a guideline to go by and someone to report to every week and for the support group meetings. I go for my fill again next week, had to wait a month. Right before gettting the food stuck, I had finally gotten to a wonderful restriction and was starting to steadily lose again and then that happened. So all in all, I think you have never gotten good restriction back and need more fills/adjustments. Just be patient. My doc told me that with revision it takes longer to get going on the weight loss because it is not put around what he called a virgin stomach and would take longer, who knows if that is a bunch of crap or what he told me, but he also said once you have lost the majority of weight needed, your body tends to hang on to what fat is left, therefore hitting a plateau. I had to just accept the fact that I have lost the majority of my weight and that now the last 70 pounds is up to me with the help of my band once I start getting fills and get a good restriciton back. In other words, once you get close to goal weight you gotta try harder, exercise more and be more conscious of every bite. That is where Weight Watchers is helping me....weekly weighins, accountability, etc. Good luck to you!

p.s. Been on Weight watchers for 2 weeks and have lost 4.5 pounds of the 10 I had gained,:clap2: so I NEEDED them for accountability.

Brenda~thanks so much for writing. Today I was just totally freaked out. Got on the scale and I continously have been gaining regardless of my so called trying. When I went to the gym today I was mad and ran the hardes I have ran before. I did 15 minutes straight and 15 hard on the cross trainer difficulty 14! I could easily accept 150 lbs if I could just stay here and maintain. You have done a marvelous job with your weight loss. Do you have the large band or small one? I have the large european one. How much food intake did you have when you were loosing again. I guessed I was eating around 1200 calories and gaining. Could that be true? What meals are you eating now and what amount. Think I need to go back and get a fill. I miss the satisfied feeling and not being hungry. Like I am all the time. Thanks again for writing it was nice to read someone's post who has went thru the same thing.

Dody

I am scheduled for lap band in July, 06. I'm new to this forum as of today. I need help with some questions. Slippage is the one thing I'm very worried about. Does this mean another surgery? How do you know if the band slips? What happens? Why does slippage occur especially years after surgery. And why does it have to be removed? Why can't the surgeon put another band on?

Please help me. I'm very worried and need some information. I am excited but at the same time concerned.

Emily

Hi I am back. First off, want to reply to em1125, slippage they think is caused from several things. Such as, too tight of fills, continous vomiting, surgical mistakes? Well that is what the surgeon told me. Mine was supposdly caused by too much vomiting and my surgery was done almost 4 years ago and I had the old technique! Now I have the new technique and am doing well. Probably could use another fill. I am holding steady at 5 foot 7 and I weigh 150. I am running 4 times per week for 30 minutes. The eating I am doing pretty good just need to cut chocolate. At maintenance what amount of calories are all of you eating? How much exercise do you do to maintain or loose? Love to hear from all of you

Dody

220/150 now