Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:( I am pretty upset about the place where I had my lap band surgery (which will remain anonymous). I got my lap band in 2010, paid out of pocket and was very happy with the doctor and the facility. I selected this place based on the reputation of the doctor and particularly the post support they provided. All was good until last fall when the day before I was to go in for a fill I received a call saying they were no longer doing fills. They said that the nurse who did them had left the facility and that they were refering people to another physician who I would have to pay cash for. I was very upset about this. The doctor they were sending me to did not specialize in bariatric medicine and up until then my insurance had started covering my fills, I was not prepared to pay out of pocket for this. I complained and complained and they finally started doing fills on a limited basis.

I went last week for my appointment and the first thing I asked the nurse was if they were going to be doing fills on a consistent basis. Her response was that they were trying to get someone and they were not doing lap band surgeries as much anymore because they are not that effective or as good as they thought they were. Well that really upset me basically she told me that my 17k that I spent on myself was a waste of money.

I would really like to find another facillity but it appears that when you want to establish yourself as a new patient you have to pay $300 or more. Anyway I am wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them and was my lap band surgery really a waste of money? I am not giving up on myself, but feel like I cannot rely on this place for support or fills anymore. I did tell her that I was pleased with myself that I had not gained back my weight despite the fact that I had to wait 5 months to see them for a fill. By the way I left without a fill. She pretty much talked me out of it after saying that I was eating wrong and no matter how much I excercised I would remain at the same weight and needed to decide I really wanted to do this....

Has the band worked for you? I mean if it has worked and you know how to eat with it, then it was worth every single penny. The reason its popularity seems to be dwindling is that people are getting the sleeve. My surgeon, though he does the sleeve, feels like it is not a great long term procedure for everyone. The band really is a tool to be used or not. If you don't use it and have lost nothing, then maybe think twice about the money you spent, however if you have learned to work with it, then like I said, its worth every penny.

I also wanted to mention that I'm so proud of you for maintaining your weight and that is what a supportive nurse should have said. You deserve your fills, find someone else.

My doctor offered lifetime fills and I would imagine if he retired I'd have to find a different doctor to fill me.

So, what are you eating that caused you to abandon receiving a fill?

I'm not so sure the popularity of the band is dwindling. I have only seen more doctors here opening offices and offering banding.

tmf

I think there's a couple issues here.

First, I don't think band popularity is waning as much as surgeons who got into it strictly for money are realizing they can make far more doing the Sleeve or Bypass. So, they are trying to sway people towards those money maker surgeries and trying to get out of doing fills (because fills make them no money). It's clear that you need a new surgeon to handle your care because yours obviously doesn't have your best interest at heart.

Second, you only wasted your $17K if you are giving up. If you're willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes to be successful with the band then you will lose and it wasn't a waste of money. If you aren't, then yup, it was a waste of $17K. Whether or not it waste of money is 100% up to you and in your control.

Third, you said she stated you were "eating wrong". What is "eating wrong"? Are you eating too much? Or not enough? Or unhealthy food?

Just remember, this is all in your control. It's up to you how you handle it and what the outcome is.

Best wishes.

Yes I feel like the lap band has worked for me. I do know that I have been eating sweets more and not watching my carbs like I use to. At one point I was down to I think 172 so that has been a little frustrating... My doctor is affiliated with a major hospital so retirement is not what is happening here. I am afraid to complain to her mostly because I have nightmares about being stabbed really hard with the needle when I get a fill! I just can't believe this nurse would say that to me. The original nurse was so incredibly supportive and I loved going there. It was like I had some accountability going there every month. Maybe I need to be more accountable to myself at this point. I am however pretty bummed because I think I should have lost a lot more weight by now. I started at 220 (in 2010) and am at 183.

I have bad news! If you want a professional opinion and support, you're going to have to pay someone else to help you. I wouldn't waste my time with your old clinic. They will only depress and discourage you.

It really sucks, but what can you do? Find a doc who is supportive and cheap if possible? There's a surgeon button at the top of this page if you want to look for surgeons in your area? I strongly advise you to research your new doc and make sure they're in this for the next decade or more. And, check out that support staff. You already know how wonderful it was with your previous nurse? Find another. Look for some support groups in your area too. They're a wealth of information about office cultures.

tmf

I feel the popularity is increasing...I see bill boards, newspaper adds, etc, more and more everywhere I look....plus more people talking about it....

Back to your fills...you must live in a unique area...my insurance changed and felt I might need to change Dr.s...started looking and found WLS Dr.' everywhere.....

Fortunately, I did not have to switch..I still pay out of pocket per visit, but they gave me a big Cash discount.....

My insurance changes again this April so we'll see.

How is your restriction level? Are you in a comfortable zone, like where you can eat around a cup of food and feel satisfied? Or are you able to eat quite a bit at a sitting? I know people say just because you can doesn't mean you should, but it really helps if you feel satisfied on about a cup of food and not have to fight hunger. If I were you, I'd get online and start calling doctor's offices that are within driving distance. You need some sort of aftercare. You have lost about 40 lbs and kept it off which is good, but if you want to get further down in weight you're going to have to do your own work on finding a lap band fill doctor. I think that is going to really help you a lot in moving forward with weight loss. You need a combination of restriction and mental/emotional work to get ahead in this journey. Mentally you need to be able to stop eating before you feel uncomfortable and you need to be able to think about what you are going to eat before you eat it. Mindful eating instead of mindless eating. I wish you the very best

My restriction does not seem that good. I seem to be able to eat a complete meal before I feel full. More than a cup. I will definitely have to save up some money so I can switch doctors. I also need to find a local support group...