Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had a hard time sticking to the all liquid pre-op diet? I have. It seems as if I want a "last meal" before the surgery- happening next week.

I went thru my Last-Supper-Syndrome in the time between approval and liquid diet. OMG - I ate everything in sight...did a ton of all-you-can-eat buffets, etc.

But once I hit liquid pre-op - I didn't cheat once. I was terrified of not being properly prepared for surgery. I was a hag for those two weeks - and no one was allowed to eat in front of me. And post-op when I got a small glass of grape juice in the hospital I nearly cried with joy.

But surgery is a scary thing for me....I'd never been cut before this. I wasn't about to mess with it.

Stay strong - it will be worth it.

Ditto LuuLuu. Up until the pre-op diet people were taking me out and feeding me like I was on death row! I was so full and disgusted I couldn't wait to start in on the Protein shakes only. Of course, by the day before surgery I almost did debate McD's, but I figured who cares...it will still be there when I'm back on solids - surely they couldn't go out of business just because I wasn't eating there! :-)

So I never cheated. And like LuuLuu, I have also never had any surgery so that was enough to scare me into total compliance. I wasn't about to mess with it. Stay strong, find something else to do to get your mind off it (cleaning house, reading, exercise, puzzles, gardening, anything) and you will make it. It's only a couple of weeks which will go by faster than you think. During it's a pain, but afterwards you'll be wondering where that two weeks went so quickly.

You can do it!!! :-)

yep, did all the above and really didn't make my pre-op diet at all...but food has been our life for all our life and we are morning the loss of a dear friend but life goes on and it si so exciting and dieting is now fun..each goal means so much I just found I can cross my legs like a lady and I can touch my toes without a struggle I just cant believe it....so say goodby to that not so good life and hello to heaven...

Has anyone had a hard time sticking to the all liquid pre-op diet? I have. It seems as if I want a "last meal" before the surgery- happening next week.

i had my last meal before i started the pre op diet.

Yes the 2 week liquid diet was hell...and that is putting it mildly... it was the hardest thing I have done... But I didn't cheat because i wanted a successfull surgery and couldn't be prouder. Nothing worth having is easy. If I couldn't stick to a lousy 2 week liquid diet I wouldn't have been committed enough to have the surgery and live with the band.

I am not judging...just telling you my experience. Best of luck!

Well, I just cheated. Worried now I won't be able to have the surgery. I'm so mad at myself, and I want the surgery really bad... :( I'm very disappointment in myself.

the night before I started my pre-op was my birthday dinner, had plenty of habacchi (sp?) and I savored every bite because I knew it could be months before I have it again. While on pre-op I did cheat once and ate about 4 pita chips, it was one slip up but I didn't let it completely derail me, I just didn't do it again.

I am 3 days post op and it's just a little bit easier on this side, I am still on mostly liquids (my doc counts runny oatmeal & cream of wheat as liquids) but there is more variety especially in the Soups. I promised myself I would savor the Soup once I got here and now I am.

Just keep in mind the liquid diet isn't something you have to do every day for the rest of your life, it's just a little speed bump to slow you down and make sure you are ready for a lifetime of dieting ideals.

Well, I just cheated. Worried now I won't be able to have the surgery. I'm so mad at myself, and I want the surgery really bad... :( I'm very disappointment in myself.

i dontk ow what your drs take is nor what type of pre op diet you were on but The best thing to do now is re commit yourself... Or reconsider. There is no harm is putting it off a week. Make sure you are ready because if you cheat on the post op diet it can be harmful to your band nor will you have the loss you desire.

@Roni77 I am on pre op diet liquids only and I am only in my third day! Its the hardest thing I have every done! Last night I almost cheated! Just get your self back on track but you need to tell your surgerion! I have found that keeping myself busy is helping but also I have a great support system which makes it easier!I also found that gum is my friend! food NEVER TASTE AS GOOD AS HEALTHY FEELS! YOU CAN DO THIS!

We all make mistakes. I'm willing to bet that if you only cheated one time and it's still a few days away, you will be okay. Having patients ONLY ingest liquids for two weeks is completely unrealistic in my oppinion.

I start my pre-op on Feb 18 and I am going to be drinking two shakes from the hospital, and one small "grocery meal" that I can prepare myself like an eggwhite omlet or Soup. I am very releived by this, which I know I can do.

That being said....I plan on gorging at our neighborhood hibachi buffet the night before this starts!! LOL!!

Good luck, you are not alone.

Trust me food will be there after surgery. A lot of people put on the site how they can never again eat Pasta or chicken or even bread. The only thing I have trouble with is Raw baby carrots and cheap white bread.

Well, I recommitted myself. So far I have lost 13 lbs. It isn't easy for me in the afternoons. But I keep thinking about Friday- Band Day. I did call the surgeon and he said I was ok if I sticked to the liquid diet from now on. :)

Don't feel bad I did the same thing. I was still able to get banded. That fact that you lose weight during the pre op diet is a sign it is working. You will be fine. Good luck on your surgery.

Well, I recommitted myself. So far I have lost 13 lbs. It isn't easy for me in the afternoons. But I keep thinking about Friday- Band Day. I did call the surgeon and he said I was ok if I sticked to the liquid diet from now on. :)

Congratulations. You have made 2 huge accomplishments. First, you recommitted yourself and second, you were honest with yourself and your doctor. Kudos to you. Keep that attitude and you will do great. I believe that.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.