Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of Ambien CR! LOL!! Long but worth it!

Oh man! What a night! My Mom came & spent the night with me last night. She was started on Ambien CR 2 weeks ago. Despite saying that she was sleeping great, she was still complaining of being tired & also complaining of having a unexplained weight gain.

When my Dad dropped her off last night he chuckled & told me that Mom had gotten up yesterday morning & chewed him out for eating her piece of cake (she likes the middle pieces). He proceeded to tell me that he watched her get up at 1am & eat a huge piece of chocolate cake. She is sleep walking & eating in her sleep!!!!! How scarey is that? :der:

It doesn't end there. I had about 8 hours sleep in the past 2 previous nights. We went to bed at midnight. At 1:30am she woke me up asking where my chocolate & Cookies were. I said, "MOM. I don't have any chocolate or cookies." She insisted that I had to have something in the house. She ended up making cinnamon toast in the microwave! (I have a oven & a toaster oven). :help:

So after she eats she calms down. I went back to bed.

2:15 - She wakes me up & says, "Here's the flashlight." At this point I know what's going on so I just say thanks. I layed it on my night stand & fell back asleep.

2:30 - She wakes me up & asks for the flashlight. :censored:

sometime between 2:30 & 2:45 - She climbs into bed with me (Lonnie's out of town). I wake up to her talking to someone. She has the phone. I hear her say, "HI! What are you doing? Are you ready to get up & go to work?" (she thinks she is talking to my Dad). She dialed the wrong number :bored . She hangs up & says, " I don't know who that was! It was some woman!" I explained that she dialed the wrong number. She insists that I dial her number so she can talk to my Dad & find out what's going on! I did. I hand her the phone & hear her say, "May I speak to Reggie!?" Then she says, "Who was that woman!?" I hear the callwaiting beep - the woman she woke up has caller ID & has called me back. I don't know what Dad said, but she handed the phone to me. I explained what was going on & he just dies laughing. He tells me that she called him at 10:00, 2:00 & @ 2:30-2:45. I found out today that she also called him at 4:00 & 6:00.:eek:

My Mother also has a unique gift. She can make a clicking noise with her mouth while it is closed. She did this ALL NIGHT LONG!!! She sounded like she had F***ING CRICKETS IN HER MOUTH!! I even asked her if she had crickets in her mouth. She just smiled & proceeded to click. We call her & my Grandma "Clickin' & Lickin' ". Grandma has a annoying habit of licking her lips loudly. CONSTANTLY! We named them this after riding with them in our backseat for 10 hours to & from Illinois. But I digress............

After that she stayed in bed & EVERY TIME I TURNED OVER SHE ASKED ME IF I WAS READY TO GET UP!!!!!! I finally told her that I wasn't getting up until 10:00am. At 8:30am she asked me if I was ready to get up. I asked her what time it was. She replied, "10:00." :puke:

I got up. I'm out of cigarettes. I get dressed & tell her where I'm going. She decides she wants doughnuts & coffee. We get home & she eats a half of EACH of the doughnuts in the box. I bought her one of every kind that they had ( I didn't want that arguement if I had gotten the wrong kind - 12 total). She was saving the other half of each for me.:puke:

After this she passed out for about 4 hours. She got up & got ready just as happy as can be. I told her what happened last night & she threw the Ambiens down the toilet. :) Beware of Ambien CR!!!!

It's funny now, but I was ready to choke her.

It was an interesting night! I am totally alone tonight. Praise God! I'm so tired, but I am Wired. She also went with me on a job interview today before I took her home. I was a little worried, but she did fine. I think I pretty much have the job. It is a part time job (4 hours a day Mon-Fri) in a consignment shop!! I get 20% off. YAY ME!! I have to find something to keep me busy.

Oh my....what a time you've all had!! Are you sure it's the Ambien CR? :eek: I've been taking it for a few weeks now and love it!! Maybe I should ask my husband if I'm doing weird things. I'm pretty sure I don't b/c many times I wake up in the same position I last remembered. I usually toss & turn at night.

Good luck and let's hope this doesn't happen again. If it doesn't, at least you'll know it was the Ambien CR.

LOL.....That is the funniest story I have heard in a long time!

Oh, it's deifnitely the Ambien! I take it myself and love it, but my Dad did some really weird things when he tried it. I would tell you, but I don't want him to lose his dignity in front of a lot of people he doesn't know!

I took ambien for a long time. I will spare you the insanity of my stories :eek: . Which by the way I don't really remember all the details . I wish I could say the same for all the people that do remember the stories. I will say that I ate alot in the middle of the night and gained 20lbs. when I got off it the20lbs came right off. That drug is dangerous. I will tell you one morning I got up and my pj bottoms were in front of the frig. wtf:confused: ?

These stories do make me smile..............I agree Ambien is great for a good nights sleep but I also highly recommend you get straight into bed after the dose. I have had conversations I don't remember and it is a bit embarrassing, hehe!!!:phanvan

I have seen several things like this at the hospital specially with the older patients. They are so funny...however not always safe. I have had patients pull out foleys, iv's, among other things.. Some of the funniest conversations you would ever hear you hear from those on ambian. When Drs order this for the patients who can't sleep and don't normally take anything we ask for the safest substitue...........BENEDRYL....lol

My father-in-law went into the hospital for a partial colon removal (age 73). They decided to give him a sleeping pill (Ambien over the counter), to help him sleep. He hallucinated for 24 hours straight, in the ICU. The ICU nurse said that he's seen folks have strong reactions to this pill and it needed to wear off. It took along while. He was totally out of it. No more Ambien for him.

Shawn

This is scary although it's good info to know. I appreciate the link to the CBS story. I had no idea Ambien could cause such a reaction in some people. I am so thankful I'm able to take it with sleep being the only side effect. It makes me wonder what actually causes this in some people and not in others. It's probably a chemical/hormone kind of thing. Does anyone know?

WOW!! If it wasn't so funny, it would be scary.

My best friend went on them and they totally changed her personality. She also looked really bad and became dependant on them.

Too bad those of us (including me ) can't find safe alternatives.

There have been a number of articles about this problem with Ambien in newspapers and magazines... what happened with your mom (and others) is apparently not uncommon. Company insists its safe, but users beware.

Jessiebear:

ROFLMBBO!!!

Tooo funny!! You gotta love her don't 'ya?!

How is she now that the Ambien is out of her system?!? Does she call you in the middle of the night!??

What did the lady that she woke up say when she called you back!??!