Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of Ambien CR! LOL!! Long but worth it!

We just let it ring. I didn't even want to go there! My Mom wanted me to post this. Mainly because of the getting up & eating & not knowing about it. Can you imagine what could happen if one of us was doing that? You could slip your band! She gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks! She's doing better. She is going through menopause right now & it is really hitting her hard. I wish there was a magic pill for menopause. If anyone has any good remedies, please let me know! She was just downright tearful yesterday. I do love my Mom very much! She's a nut!

My girlfriend had a hallucination like being on LSD while on Ambien -- curtains moving, walls waffling the works.....the next day she called her Dr and he said casually...."Oh, hallucinations are common on Ambien". Her reply was: "Thanks Doc....maybe someone could have mentioned this BEFORE I thought I was going insane". I guess her "episode" lasted a few hours! Scary!

Oh Jessie - I was laughing so hard tears were coming out my eyes.. Poor you!! I had heard that it caused problems but not to this extent...Wow

I wonder what the lady on the other end of the phone was thinking... Good your mom did not get dependent on them or got hurt in anyway...

I have TOTALLY heard of this happening before. But your story had me laughing so hard I had to call my Mom in Florida to read it to her. I am so happy she threw out the pills & happy you were there to help witness it. It can be a very scary & serious situation. But the story really was a "true Classic"!

OH wow Jessie!!! That is scary... good thing she had you there...

TOO FUNNY though... What did your hubby think when you told him what happened?

Glad your mom flushed them!

Jessie, thanks for sharing this story. I just found out Sunday night that my sis in law was taking the same med, so I've emailed her and told her to BEWARE!

My friend was having a hard time breaking up with her boyfriend,....he almost drank himself to death....she felt guilty and the doctor gave her Ambien. She went out to dinner, had a glass of wine, came home, put on her jammies and was going to bed when she remembered she left her purse in her car so she went out to get it and saw her ex-boyfriend drive by real slow looking really sad...She got in her car and followed him to his condo and she says she remembers nothing else. He told her they rode around until she nearly wrecked them several times...he took the wheel, took her home, put her to bed and walked back to his place. He is a local attorney, so he is no liar and is well respected. She says she will never take Ambien again! She could have killed herself and him, or someone else who got in her way! She is convinced that taking the Ambien after having one glass of wine did it. She was at a girlfriends house with several other ladies (in their 50s and 60s) when she drank the wine...so no one drugged her.

Good grief! I just keep hearing more & more stories about this stuff. My Mom was telling someone about what happened & they saw on the news where a man was on a plane & was arrested for things he doesn't remember doing after taking a Ambien CR. Scarey!

When I told Lonnie what had happened he was rolling. He said, " It's never a dull moment with your Mom, but that takes the cake!" She is a nut anyway! But we love her!

Jessie, I had a straight face reading this until you mentioned the *F-in Crickets*, I lost it then (good thing my boss isn't here b/c I burst out laughing).

Your right, it is a very scary thing. God only know's what else the person taking that stuff could be capable of in their sleep.

Glad its over.

Oh my....what a time you've all had!! Are you sure it's the Ambien CR? :( I've been taking it for a few weeks now and love it!! Maybe I should ask my husband if I'm doing weird things. I'm pretty sure I don't b/c many times I wake up in the same position I last remembered. I usually toss & turn at night.

Good luck and let's hope this doesn't happen again. If it doesn't, at least you'll know it was the Ambien CR.

I started out on Ambien a year or so ago and changed to Ambien CR. I couldn't do without it. I have not gained a pound on it, nor has there been any change in me except getting a great night's sleep. I can confirm that unconditionally now that I'm staying with my daughter and son-in-law. I'm sleeping wonderfully on my Ambien CR and my C-Pap.

I'm concerned something is seriously going on with your mom that may have absolutely nothing to do with Ambien. These are pretty severe symptoms that indicate an underlying problem. Please get her checked out......this could be far more than Ambien CR. Wish you luck.

3Loves...I sent you an e.mail my friend thanking you for all the Tony goodies and I will be sending you another after I go for my appt. on the 26th. I think we are looking at May. If I get approved alright, I have only 8 days of mushies and liquids to do...HORRAY. Vanderbilt informs me that they have never had a slippage or erosion, so that made me feel lots better. They said they have a great weight loss on the lapband so that is encouraging. I'm sooooooooooooo ready...just for the approval. All fills are included for 6 mo. at which time they guarantee you will be exactly where you belong and then you just need a check-up in a mo. or so, and I can do that here.

BTW I tool Lunesta for a few weeks...did gain weight...didn't sleep well...and had a metal taste in my mouth. I was very glad to get the Ambien back.

:( I'm not saying don't take it. Just beware of the fact that it is causing a lot of people to have severe reactions like this. That being said, there are a lot of people that do take Ambien CR & have absolutely no problems. And believe me, I know the value of getting some good sleep. I worked 4 years doing 12 hour shifts at night. It was totally the Ambien. She talked with her doc. My Mom does have some other stuff going on right now (menopause & thyroid problems), but her doc told her that neither one of those things would have caused this. Plus nothing out of the ordinary happened until she began taking the Ambien. She was previously on Lunesta & didn't have anything like this happen. Thanks though! Glad it is working for you!