Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 weeks post op and ive gained

So I'm 5 weeks post op and I went to my pcp on the 22nd and found out I had gained back about 5 lbs and That totally bummed me out big time! I was doing so well as I've lost 35lbs so far but now gained 5 back. I really don't want to go see my band dr for fear he might say something. Has anyone else gained back after surgery before your first fill? I go in for my first fill on the 30th and I'm hoping that will help me to lose weight again, because I'm starting to feel more hungry and I don't like that! Thanks everyone

The instructions my Surgeon gave me said that during the healing phase (time before your first fill) that a patient may stop loosing, or even gain. It is one of the reasons that I am logging everything I eat and watching my calories like a hawk.

As for not seeing your surgeon, Tina, he has seen it all. You have a partnership with him, it only works if you see him and are honest with him.

I had a 5 lbs weight change in 3 days. I was 253 on Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning I was 258, and then yesterday morning I was back to 253, go figure.

It could have been Fluid, as I think that may have been what mine was. I had not drank enough Water on Tuesday. The more you drink the more it pushes thru your system.

You could have had something the days before with more sodium in it and cause retention. Just a couple thought I would throw out there.

Hang in there and good luck

My surgeon told me that it is also fine not to lose any weight during this period too. so i'm sure that what you're going through right now is completely normal. i know how you feel about being afraid to see your surgeon if things arent going perfectly but we shouldnt think like that! I'm sure they are understanding.

good luck!

Most Drs will tell you first 6wks are for healing. As long as you're sticking to your Drs orders you'll be fine. Your body is doing a lot of adjusting.

Your surgeon is now your partner in this journey and you need to have a relationship with them where you can discuss anything. Don't be afraid.

It is wise to journal everything you put in your mouth now, so if you have a problem, the Dr can figure out where it is, instead of guessing.

Good luck

Thank you everyone, I know I shouldn't beat myself up about it and for us girls it's harder especially around our time of the month. I do track everything I eat on calorie counter app on my phone since it's the easiest way for me to do so. I need to up my Water intake because I think I may not be drinking enough. I have a great dr and I know he will be understanding as he's seen it all, even the nurse told me once that a patient went back after 4 weeks and had gained 15lbs, as for myself I just gotta stay on track!! I can't wait for my fill in a few days. Thanks again everyone you guys sure did make me feel so much better!!!