Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sad but hopeful

I had my surgery in the summer of 2011. I lost 20 lbs prior to surgery, and only 20 lbs since. I was seeing the nurse practitioner at my surgeons office. She gave me 9 1/2 ccs in my 11 cc band. Whenever I went to see her, she was asking me what was wrong with me, and telling me that she had only known one other person the band did not work for. I was eating well, and exercising, but I could not lose more than 20 lbs. I received a call from someone who had gotten the lap band when I did. She lost much more weight than I did. My friend suggested I make an appt with one of the surgeons in the practice, not the nurse practitioner. I went yesterday, and a doctor gave me a fill of one more cc. She said the next one can be done with an x-ray, just to make sure the band is ok, and fill it as much as possible, without being over filled. I have more restriction today. Sad that I wasted a year and a half, but hopeful that the band will work for me now.

I'm very sorry you're struggling. I'd be sad, too.

You said you're eating well. How many calories a day are you eating? Are you sticking to a cup or less of food per meal? Really the bottom line of weight loss is if you burn more calories than you consume, you'll lose weight. Looking at your eating habits is always the easiest place to start.

Best wishes to you.

If you were eating healthy and exercising how is that a waste? A waste would be learning nothing and doing nothing! It's not a race to the finish line. You may have learned something within that time that will help you to succeed long term, that someone that has reached their goal weight has not yet learned for long term success! Trust me, your time wasn't wasted! Remember what you've learned and move forward. Good Luck on your future success!

I agree it is not a race to the finish line. You are learning and still taking care of you. Everyone's body is different. Obviously you know you CAN lose weight because you have. I would agree with insisting to see the surgeon and I am glad you are having restriction now. Keep following up with the physician and follow the guidelines for diet. You will get there. Be patient with yourself. You can do this!

:D THANKS. I must say that through it all I have kept a pretty positive attitude, but looking forward to getting much closer to my goal.

I am wondering too what are you eating. How much are you measuring and tracking everything? Eating high Protein? How many times a day? It is hard to give you suggestions without more information. I measure 3 half cup meals a day. Sometimes I have a snack or yesterday I for the first time had a treat. I don't count calories per my doctor but most people do.

My saying is things happen for a reason. You will be fine and you have done a world of good to yourself by learning to eat healthy. I would make sure you only see the surgeon now and not the nurse practitioner.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but my granddaughter see's many Drs and the only time she has trouble is when she see's a NP. I know there's good and bad in every profession, but when a NP continues to not see there is a problem, its time to insist on what my daughter calls "a real Dr".

Sorry this went on for so long, but glad you're seeing the surgeon now.

I feel like something is broken with me because I've not lost very much and it's been more than six months. However at my last appointment in which I was down only 2 pounds for the month of December I realized that is 2 pounds I never have to have again. It is slooooow but it is progress and I am better off than I ever was. This was still the right choice. I am glad for you that you found out what's going on and I hope you find the success you need. Hang in there!!!

I would be happy with 2 in December. That was a hard month for me. I didn't lose anything. Hang in there! The holidays are over and we an get back to our normal ways and watch the scale head south!

gcmy, YOU are succeeding! And NOT gaining weight. People around here are all different in how they burn calories. That's why many are members of this great forum. There Diets didn't work in the past!

Keep it up and stay on track. YOU will get to YOUR GOAL!

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

I posted this in response to another bandsters question, but it may be applicable here too.

Oh how I wish every office that gave fills had a fluoroscope machine to give them with. My doctor ( whom I REALLY, REALLY like )never had a problem finding the port, but there are advantages to using one.

Heres my story about fills. My Doctor's office got the machine about a year after I had been banded. Only after the first fill using flouro, did he confirm what I had been saying for about 5 months... I had NO restriction. Because my band had come undone. Yes, the band had come unsnapped. I knew when it happened. My Dr's first to have this happen with hundreds of bands placed. Dr fixed it asap! Now all his fills are done using the machine....and now, standing up. Never any trouble finding the port. Never ANY pain. He/You can see the restriction as the adjustment happens.

Your Doctor can get you so much closer to restriction by looking at it instead of guessing. My insurance, Aetna, pays for my fills. If your self pay, it is more expensive. BUT SO WORTH

This is so helpful. Thank you for all the support.

I am also sad, but hopeful! I went for a fill today. I am 7 months post op and had only lost 25lbs. When I went today I had gained 8 back. I have a 10cc band and have 51/2cc in my band. I recently had 6cc and had way too much restriction and they took some out. I am now working my way tighter slowly. My doctor was a little discouraged that my weight loss was not more. He said that sometimes the band does not work for everyone. I left the appointment feeling like a failure. He said if you have a positive outlook it can still work. i guess it is good to hear others who have had the same issues. I really want to be successful at this!!! I guess the weight I have lost is weight that would have taken me forever or never to loose without the band. Good Luck and keep working at it!!! We can do this!!!

I am also sad, but hopeful! I went for a fill today. I am 7 months post op and had only lost 25lbs. When I went today I had gained 8 back. I have a 10cc band and have 51/2cc in my band. I recently had 6cc and had way too much restriction and they took some out. I am now working my way tighter slowly. My doctor was a little discouraged that my weight loss was not more. He said that sometimes the band does not work for everyone. I left the appointment feeling like a failure. He said if you have a positive outlook it can still work. i guess it is good to hear others who have had the same issues. I really want to be successful at this!!! I guess the weight I have lost is weight that would have taken me forever or never to loose without the band. Good Luck and keep working at it!!! We can do this!!!

This post felt like something I could have written. I have several banded friends and they were the biggest reason I chose this route. They don't know I've been banded and I feel discouraged that they haven't yet seen the changes in me I've seen. They make comments about 'when you're banded this... that..." and I think I'm a failure. But I'm realizing everyone's journey is different. I still feel like I'm better off having done this. Keep working at it - it'll all work out!