Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Dietician - whole new approach, only counting proteins

The practice I belong to has a but new dietician who specializes in weight loss patients. She has a completely different approach. I met with her and really like her but her approach is very different., Getting enough Protein has always been important when I met with her that was the primary focuss. The previous dietician had me focus on calories and I know alot of people on this site focus on size ( cup) but she told me if I focus on the protein ( 75-90 grams per day) the calories will take care of themselves. Has anyone else heard of this approach?

boy you are gonna get alot of different responses.

i def follow the high Protein (lean) way of life (proteins/veggies/fruit, no processed/bread/pasta/rice for me) but i am very aware of my cal intake (as 3500 cals drank/ate) is a pound and if i take in more then i burn off, its a gain)... so i kinda do both...i say if it works for you, all the better.

That's alway been my approach as well....and it has worked for me....

I let the band take care of portion sizes, and I concentrate on good food choices..

If I'm going to eat so little, make the best of it..don't waste it....

I would agree that most lap band surgeons and myself want you to consume high Protein. Protein is what makes you burn fat. I only log my food in to spark people because I dont always eat enough for sure and some days I go over on calories depending. But all in all I have always stuck to a high protein diet and vegetables and fruit as my carbs. If I eat any other carbs I gain weight. I try to stick to the higher protein of 90 to 100 grams a day. Works/worked for me since the beginning.

My surgeon is more focused on Protein, but he also wants me to make better carb choices and increase my veggies. I was given this equation to figure out how much Protein I should be getting

My weight 218 X .50= 98.1

98g of protein per day.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd still have to count calories regardless. I simply need that accountability. Plus, counting calories helps me to see where I need to change things if I do hit a rough spot. I can go back on my logs and examine my eating habits.