Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone familiar with the obesity help lb forum?

I stumbled upon it today and was shocked, the posters are all folks who believe the band should be taken off the market and that it causes horrible things like LUpis. Anyone know how that came to be?

yes, i found that forum last feb when i started.

it upset me so much that jeannie from bandwagon

told me to stay off of there....its brutal and yes, alot say

dont get the band etc, you will revise and you will suffer pain forever......but there are some nice ones who

do try to encourage you. i prefer to try to be around more supportive people and ones who advise to call the dr instead of trying to tell you how to fix it at home

:)

You have got to be kidding me, the band causes Lupus? LMAO!!! I'm sorry, but that's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet.

If that's what is going on over there, I'd stay away if I were you. It sounds like they're drowning in their own ignorance.

I promise, we have some crazy ones here at LapBandTalk but nothing nearly that extreme ;)

Too bad they don't want to educate themselves on a topic they obviously don't understand. When you have no knowledge of something of course there is fear! With knowledge is power! Right now they are powerless!

I am newly banded.. Just had it on Friday. I went there because a friend told me to after I got home Friday night. I didnt really read the forum before I posted a hello. You can probably still find on there where I said hello. Immediately people were telling me I made the worst decision on my life and good luck the band will hurt you like it hurt me. They completely flamed my post. I was so shocked and disgusted that I posted how shocked I was someone would dare be that nasty to a person who just had surgery. Several people there came to my defense and one of them posted in her response about this forum. I have been frantically reading through everything on here despite five years of research and the utmost faith in my surgeon. That little what if they planted was really detrimental to the first few days of recovery. I told my friend not to ever tell me to go to another website. The venom there is unbelievable.

When I finally made myself post a hello here I was greeted with warm hellos and congrats on the surgery. I belong to a help group run by my surgeons office. I love the group but sometimes you want to see more. I love coming here now and I have been on here every day since Saturday looking at what everyone has to say. I find this a much better place to come to get insight on what people are going through. It is not possible for every single band to fail.

Oh also.. in regards to the lupus... The person who says that is miserable because she developed lupus after she had her band. Her surgeon never told her the band is contraindicated in people who have auto immune diseases. My surgeon clearly laid out all of the contraindications with me. It is not the fault of the band or any doctor that she developed the disease and her body went nuts attacking the band. She was one of the people who attacked me for just saying hello.

Oh also.. in regards to the lupus... The person who says that is miserable because she developed lupus after she had her band. Her surgeon never told her the band is contraindicated in people who have auto immune diseases. My surgeon clearly laid out all of the contraindications with me. It is not the fault of the band or any doctor that she developed the disease and her body went nuts attacking the band. She was one of the people who attacked me for just saying hello.

I actually know rather a lot about Lupus, which is why I laughed when I read someone was told the band caused Lupus. What I am guessing is, she likely already had undiagnosed Lupus before getting the band and the band sent the disease into over-drive.

As far as autoimmune diseases, the only one that is listed as a direct contradiction to the band is Lupus. But, even with Lupus, there are people who have it and still do just fine with the band.

The reason I know so much on this topic is because I have Multiple Sclerosis (another autoimmune disease). But, I also tested positive for Lupus in my spinal Fluid and 1 of the possible blood markers. However, I have not been officially diagnosed with Lupus because I didn't have all the blood markers nor do I have the symptoms. I'm told it's "almost inevitable" I will be at some point in my future because of the presence in my spinal Fluid, but I am hopeful to dodge that bullet. MS is enough ;)

But... I did research it and talk to my surgeon at length about it. The band was worth the risk in my case. Even if I did develop full blown Lupus I'd still be glad for my band (and it sure as heck wouldn't be caused by my band!).

That's the site I've been talking about! it's TOXIC! It seriously scared the crap out of me....I stay far away from there!

And yes, I read the same thing on there & that was the very 1st time I heard of LB & Lupus! BOGUS!

Also, the psych at my surgeon's office recommended that site to me?!?

Yeah it scared the hell out of me too! I am on day 6 and just now starting to feel good. I was like holy crap I am going to die even though I know that isn't true. I am a smart person. I did my research. It's not like any of us just rolled out of bed one morning and said gee I think I am going to get major surgery today. I agree With SinCityGal. It is a toxic site. I have been able to get my head back on straight by posting and reading here and in the group run by my surgeons office.

My husband reminded me about that commercial for insurance that says.. it has to be true if its on the internet. LOL Bonjour!!

I would advise anyone to stay far far away from that site.

*As far as autoimmune diseases, the only one that is listed as a direct contradiction to the band is Lupus. But, even with Lupus, there are people who have it and still do just fine with the band. *

I am not sure what all is actually listed as far as the company that makes the lapband but my surgeon said it was contraindicated in people with Lupus, HIV, and Rheumatoid arthritis. He went over all of that in my preop. He was very detailed in what expectations should be.

I am so glad lupus has not shown up for you yet Missy. I do hope you dodge that one. I would not wish that on anyone. I admire your strength!

Leslie I think it was your post!!! Good grief there are some miserable people over there.

I'm so tempted to go over there and post a big long "hello!" thread, sharing my great success with the band ;)

(yes, I'm feeling feisty and bit snarky today lol)

If you go, let me know.lol

I was thinking a bunch of us should go over and cause some trouble.lol

Yeah it scared the hell out of me too! I am on day 6 and just now starting to feel good. I was like holy crap I am going to die even though I know that isn't true. I am a smart person. I did my research. It's not like any of us just rolled out of bed one morning and said gee I think I am going to get major surgery today. I agree With SinCityGal. It is a toxic site. I have been able to get my head back on straight by posting and reading here and in the group run by my surgeons office.

My husband reminded me about that commercial for insurance that says.. it has to be true if its on the internet. LOL Bonjour!!

I would advise anyone to stay far far away from that site.

*As far as autoimmune diseases, the only one that is listed as a direct contradiction to the band is Lupus. But, even with Lupus, there are people who have it and still do just fine with the band. *

I am not sure what all is actually listed as far as the company that makes the lapband but my surgeon said it was contraindicated in people with Lupus, HIV, and Rheumatoid arthritis. He went over all of that in my preop. He was very detailed in what expectations should be.

I am so glad lupus has not shown up for you yet Missy. I do hope you dodge that one. I would not wish that on anyone. I admire your strength!

I'm just glad you found your way over to this site!

Hi Leslie ~

Well it sounds like you separated fact from fiction here so way to go!!!! I dont think, or would like to think, that the decision to proceed to enter into surgery is not taken lightly and we all strive for better health, hence this journey, so these people that criticize after the fact are simply, selfish bonheads and wanting to beak off!

I am heading off to Toronto from Calgary for my surgery on Feb 14, (Happy Heart day to me!) so I am curious how the post op recovery was? I am having the surgery on Friday morning, we are staying in Toronto till Monday then flying back and I was going to go back to work on Tuesday. Did you feel ok enough to return to regular life type stuff after 4 days???

How many days did any of you stay on the clear broth before you went to the thicker stuff? Many quesitons I know...thanks for answering. I bought a Vitamix to help with the slushy drinks! Hleps to mix up the ugly tasting healthy stuff with the better tasting stuff!!