Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm scheduled for February 6th and I haven't been put on an official pre op diet yet.. The doctor and nutritionist suggested I start following a lower cal and low carb diet. I am struggling more than I've ever struggled before!!! My Breakfast Protein Shakes are not filling me up, and I find myself binging throughout the day! I hope this isn't a sign of what it will be like with the bad. I'm starving endlessly!!

First of all take a breather, you'll be fine. Find a Protein shake that is packed with Protein, one that is at least 20 to 25 grams of protein that makes you fill fuller longer, there are a lot of brands and flavors out there. I personally used GNC's brand Lean shake Swiss Choc in a bottle already mixed up, it had 25 grams plus Vitamins. Like I said there are a lot of other brands out there. I had to do these 3 times a day plus all the chicken broth and sugar free Jello I wanted and believe me if I can do it you can too. Just keep in mind that it is mind over matter and why you wanted the surgery in the first place and keep that mindset, don't binge. Head hunger is an evil thing. Distinguish head hunger from real hunger. There is a reason your surgeon and many other surgeons want us to do the pre op diet it is to shrink the fatty liver so that they have room to operate in there. Keep that in mind. You can do this. We are here for you. I am by no means an expert on all of this as I'm just 7 mos post op but have learned a lot on here and made friends on here and read lots. Good luck, and remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Donna

Jennifer,

I'm (hopefully) scheduled for Feb 5. I don't have to start my pre-op until next Tuesday the 22nd, but I thought I would give it a trial run yesterday. FAIL! I so bombed out by 5pm. But, I learned what I need to do differently. I need WAAAAAY more Protein than I'm used to and I need to breathe through my cravings. We can do this. Can you get your nutritionist to nail down a more specific diet than "low cal, low carb"? That might be helpful.

You can do this. You can.

Jen

I am just on three Protein Shakes a day. I haven't started preop yet. We will see.

So I'm scheduled for February 6th and I haven't been put on an official pre op diet yet.. The doctor and nutritionist suggested I start following a lower cal and low carb diet. I am struggling more than I've ever struggled before!!! My breakfast Protein shakes are not filling me up, and I find myself binging throughout the day! I hope this isn't a sign of what it will be like with the bad. I'm starving endlessly!!

If they have just put you on a low cal/low carb diet. Don't do the Protein Shakes for breakfast, eat solid Protein, it will stay with you longer. Also drink a lot , helps fill you too. Hot Decaf tea, SF hot chocolate. The SF hot chocolate can keep me going a couple hours between meals.

Hate to tell you this, but after banding and before you have enough fills, this is exactly how it's going to be. Just another diet until you hit the green zone.

Do well on this and you might not have to do full Protein Shakes pre op. That's how I got out of it. There's plenty of time for shakes post op.

Hang in there! Like Donna said, remember why your doing this.

They told me to substitute a Protein shake for one meal per day to get used to the diet. The nutritionist suggested eating every 4 hours with three meals and one snack. 8:40 12:30 300 (snack) 530 dinner.

The problem with the Protein shakes is that I need 50-60 grams of protein per day. Protein Shakes are to be no more than 110 calories, 3g fat, and 3g carbs max. I only found the EAS advantEDGE carb control shakes.. They only have 17g protein per shake.< /p>

Those are some pretty low numbers you gave for Protein Shakes. Even for powder that you mix yourself it's going to be hard to find something that meets those numbers. Premier Protein ready to drink is 30 grams Protein for 160 calories. That's pretty good but it has 5 carbs which is more than what your doctor called for.

Hey girl...I have some Syntrax matrix Protein that's 110 calories 1.5 fat 2 carbs and 23 protein it says you can mix with Water but I never have I always mix with fat free milk which adds about 9 G protein but also about 90 more calories. Their flavors are really good, I've got banana cream, strawberries n cream, and milk chocolate. I actually like them, like I want them haha I've been drinking them for several months now for breakfast.

Don't remember the calories for this one but I alternated between GNC's Lean shake which had 170 cals and I know that is too much for you but the other one I drank was GNC's Isopure grape flavor, it was I think 25 grams of Protein also, it had an aftertaste but tolerable, kind of like sf kool aid. Again, I will stress to you, I was eating upwards of 3000 calories a day before surgery, I was literally eating myself to a slow death and didn't care, I was recently divorced and eating my sorrows away. My surgeon saved me, this surgery saved me, to date, I'm down 53 lbs, feel great, with that said I've also had a 2nd surgery in the past 7 months, gallbladder surgery so I've had a time with all of this. If I can do the 2 week pre op diet anyone can do it, trust me. It was nothing for me to drive thru McDonalds and get a super size Big Mac meal, sweet tea and 2 pies and sit down and eat that for 1 and I repeat 1 of my many meals of the day. The more Protein you take in, the fuller you will feel. As others have stated if you can eat solid protein, good, i.e., egg. Greek yogurt is good but watch your sugar grams if you get it with fruit in it and watch your carbs. I have it for dessert a couple of times a week. I know you can do this. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury makes protein shakes, google that, I'm not sure of the websites, sorry. Just stay focused, we are here for you anytime and oh, I'm a night owl so I'm on till wee hrs of the night...lol. Take care

Donna

Hey girl...I have some Syntrax matrix Protein that's 110 calories 1.5 fat 2 carbs and 23 Protein it says you can mix with Water but I never have I always mix with fat free milk which adds about 9 G protein but also about 90 more calories. Their flavors are really good, I've got banana cream, strawberries n cream, and milk chocolate. I actually like them, like I want them haha I've been drinking them for several months now for Breakfast.

Crystal, Do you use the Syntrax matrix protein or the syntrax nectar protein?

The Protein not the nectar...bad aftertaste with the nectar!! I order from mybariatricpantry.com great customer service and fast shipping! And you can order samples so you don't waste money on lbs of the powder just to learn you don't like it!

ahhh... I just ordered the nectar b/c it was the lowest all around (especially in carbs). I hope I like it!

You do not get all of your Protein from the shakes from what you said with only 1 shake a day. Count the other protein in your meals.

Well you'll have to tell me what flavors you got and how you like it...the sample that they sent me with my order of the Protein was the nectar double stuffed cookie or something like that...I've been wondering about like the lemonade or fruity flavors...maybe they are better than cookie flavored water? ? Haha