Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irony... what a pain...

Being the wonderful school teacher I am, I did not want to take off work and have my lap band put in before year end. I had thought about having it done this weekend, since we have Thursday and Friday off for Easter break, but thought that would not give me enough time to heal before I had to return to work. With Prom, TAKS (state testing), graduation, awards assemblies, etc on the horizon I did not want to risk it.

Then Monday night I woke up with the most horrible pain. Made it thru half a day on Tuesday and had to go home. Went to the emergency room and ended up having surgery to remove my appendix this morning.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??!!

Well the good news is that I am back home, no worse for the wear. I feel 100% better even with three incisions. If my lapband surgery goes as well as this one I will have it made. My only concern now is if they will do the surgery in June.

Does anyone know if they will do surgeries two months apart?

Wow, glad to hear you are doing well after your appendix removal!!!

I don't know about the surgery question. Why don't you call Dr. Benevides' office and see if the nurse can answer the question for you.

Take care and rest.

Holy Cow....I am looking at the TAKS Tues, Wed, and Thurs. I am sixth grade (Reading and Math tests) but have to adminstr a 5th grade Science test also. Worse stress than my surgery, lol.

They always put me with the freshmen. I think they must hate me or something. The freshmen test on one day and the other two days we take benchmark tests (which the kids know is just busy work) play games, put together puzzles, do cross words, etc. I am a glorified baby-sitter on those days. Maybe they will take it easy on me though... I can always hope.

Yikes, I hope you feel better!!

I have heard of band doctors who'll remove a bad gall bladder and install a band 6 weeks later (some doctors just do both at the same time). I imagine that if you have healed well, and have no further complications related to your appendix, that you shouldn't have a problem (I am in no way any kind of medical professional, it's just an educated guess).

Was your surgery laproscopic? Seems like you should be healed up well enough by June to have your lapband. I hope you don't have to wait. I have TAKS next week, too. I was banded during Spring Break, and I'm beginning to get a feel for how much of a stress eater I am. I've been doing fine but the closer we get to TAKS the more I want to eat stuff I shouldn't have. I am 4th grade L.A. and S.S. My principal is a fanatic about test scores, and I'll just be glad to have it over with one way or another so I can get back to sanity.

My friend was scheduled for lapband surgery the first week of May last year and ended up having his appendix out on 4/29. He had the lapband surgery on July 1 and did fine so I don't think you'll have a problem going forward as scheduled.

Called my doctor and the nurse said we will be fine for June. He will also fix the hernia they found when they took out the appendix. I thought it was weird that they did not fix it then, but the doctor said there would be a high infection risk. My temp has been up, and I found out that I am allergic to Lortab, so now on Darvocet. The doctor told me not to worry about my temperature unless it got up to 112. It has been around 103.7 off an on today. Said that was normal, and would probably be up and down for the next few days.

I am really excited that my surgery is still a go. I would have been terribly upset if I would have to wait longer.

I still can not get over how much better I feel. Would not wish appendix pain on anyone... except...maybe for the person that invented TAKS. :uwelcome:

Poodles, I'm glad the surgery is still on and that you are feeling much better. By the way, I love the comment about pain for the person who invented TAKS! I teach first grade and I still have to give the test. I'm giving it all three days next week. There is no escaping the thing.

Poodles,

Glad to hear that your surgery is still on. And I agree with the TAKS statement. Not only do I get to administer the test, I'll be helping with the SDAA version for our SPED students. All that means is that even though I'll be reading portions of it, they will still just look at me and mark whatever they want to. They'll be finished in about 30 minutes. Gee, I wish the powers that be would realize that testing this much really doesn't do a lick of good.

Audra

I can tell you I had Gallbladder removed and 1 month later had Lapband surgey done....so chances are they will as long as you are good and clear form the 1st surgery!!! Good luck and hope your feelling better!!

I have been on so many drugs today it is not even funny. If I take two of the Darvocet for the pain I start having vivid dreams. I even woke up telling someone to get their head up and get to work... been teaching teenagers way too long.

Tried to only take one pill, but then my fever shows up. Doc says the Darvocet has acetomeniphen (sp?) in it and to take Motrin on top of that, so I have been "flying high" today on two pills and keeping the Motrin for emergencies.

Sure hope those kids take it easy on me next week. I am going to bring every boardgame in the house, make wordfinds on puzzlemaker, and copies of those sudoku puzzles (they love those) to keep them busy.

I figure that when someone "important" moves their kid to Oklahoma to graduate because of TAKS they will stop this madness. But then again, do private schools have to give it to their kids? No...(I looked it up.) Most "important" kids, those of our representatives and senators, go to private schools... don't they??? Would love to find out those stats...

Well, I am getting grumpy again...must be time for my meds... :eek:

Five days out and I am on Motrin only for pain. Even shaved my legs this morning. I am sad to be stuck at home while my dh and son are at the in laws hunting eggs, but I would not make the hour trip and do well while they were all swimming in the pool anyway. Plus I am going to work tomorrow and don't want to risk anything.

Yesterday I was really having second thoughts about another surgery, because pain sucks. But I need to have the hernia fixed anyway. Guess the back and forth will go on until surgery day, hugh?

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter!

I too hate the idea of the TAKS test. We test our students too much and what do we gain from the TAKS test? I have to go back to my surgeon tomorrow because since I had my first fill a couple of weeks ago, I can get enough Protein (Meat will not go down) and even simple things like scrambled eggs come back up. I tried soft foods for about a week and although the weight is falling off of me now, I am not eating normal foods. Any suggestions? Since my surgery in January I have loved thirty pounds, but because of my low protein in-take my energy level is getting lower by the day.