Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery with Kuri

HI everyone! I am self pay and i have read a thousand questions and answers here about being banded in MX, so i hate to ask again, but i just have to. lol. You are all so nice and helpful, i have been reading all your posts for a while now, although this is my first. I am considering Dr Kuri, but my husband says there is no way he is letting me go to Mexico to have surgery. Can anyone offer me any advice in this situation. I also am wondering about fills in the Lousiana area, if doctors will do them if you are banded in MX and how much they charge.

Hi JJ! Welcoe to LBT! Glad you have decided to start posting. :D

First things first. My family also felt surgery in Mexico was insane. Even I had some speculation about it all. I am not familiar with Dr. Kuri, but I know that there are some REALLY good hospitals in MX. The dr I chose was Dr. Sanchez who is in Monterrey MX. The hospital he practices out of is actually owned by an american team, and those who have gone to it say it is nicer, cleaner, and a lot friendlier and nicer than any hospital in America. Being a self pay really does make those cheaper alternatives look great! My surgery will cost me 9100 and includes airfare, everything for the surgery, time at the guest house, and any follow ups or complications that might arise. Compared to the 17000 I would pay here in Tampa, it is well worth it after everything you receive. There are plenty of people here who have had surgery with Dr. Kuri, and I am sure that they will be happy to discuss their exp and stories.

As for fills, check out Fill Center USA on the web and see if there are any fill dr's in your area. There are a lot of doctors that will not do fills on patients that have had the band installed by someone else, whether it is MX or France or here in the US. But you can find a few through Fill Center USA. And the issue of cost really is a huge range. I have heard of people getting fills from $50 all the way up to $750. It really depends on the doctor and how he does it.

I hope that helps!!

I'm a happy Kuri patient, and my hubby felt the same way about surgery in MX. Dr Kuri's experience and good reputation won him over. I did loads of research, too. Okay, maybe not as much as other hapapy researchers on the board, but I felt good about my choice and have no regrets about my band or my doc.

My biggest piece of advice would be to find a local band doc who will see you and do fills, unless you plan to go back for fills with the Kuri team. But find a local band doc anyway. You need to have someone familiar with bands willing to see you should a problem arise.

Good luck! Go up to the Search button on the blue bar and type in Kuri...you can read lots of old posts about him and get some great info. Share with your hubby and take it from there. Happy research!

I did not use Dr. Kuri, but I have heard lots of great, positive things about him. I was also banded in MX & my husband was freaked out at first. My in-laws flipped & still haven't spoken to me since my surgery 9 months ago!! (Their loss!!!) My husband is now the biggest MX supporter & was very happy that we went to MX.

I think youre choice of Dr. Kuri is a good one!! :D

Oh, one other thing you can tell your husband to make him feel more at ease. Mexican doctors most of the time have WAY more experience than american doctors due to the fact that it was just recently made available in the US. Many of them have over 1000 surgeries completed, and my doctor has over 5000 completed. That is compared to the 200 or 300 you will find most us doctors have.

I am a Kuri gal and LOVED his new hospital. It is gorgeous and your husband can stay with you in your hospital room and after in the hotel which is quite nice and a block from a pharmacy and grocery.

Kuri is wonderful and I can recommend him easily.

Learn a little Spanish, with the new hospital they have a new staff. The staff is actively learning English, but try to meet them halfway, it's just nicer. Bring DVD's, unless you and your husband have a LOT to talk about you will get bored.

PM me with ANY questions from either you or your husband (mine was nervous too). Or you can email morsaille at hotmail dot com.

As for fill doctors in Louisiana, do a search for the word "Louisiana", and you can read the older threads that give names and phone numbers of Louisiana fill doctors.

I am a physician, and the brand new Kuri hospital in TJ is top-of-the-line in every way. Far better than most US hoapitals, and at least equal to the renowned, famous US medical centers. You won't go wrong. dr kuri has banded a great many other doctors and nurses and other medical profressionals, and I assure you that none of us would have gone there if we had been worried about ANYthing. Renee

:clap2: I too am a bandster hopeful. Actually I am more than hopeful. My surgery with DR KURI is scheduled for June 3, 2006...just 4 weeks away. I am very excited. I'm a nurse and I feel very comfortable with going to Mexico. I researched LapBand surgery for about a year and I decided to go with Dr Kuri.

My family, too, hit the roof when I told them about my plans, but I'm sticking with it. I'm comfortable with the surgical procedure, MD and nursing care, facilities, travel, and recovery process. My biggest fixation right now is whether or not I can be compliant with the diet and be successful. Four weeks away and I have given up carbonated beverages and will ease off caffeine, so I don't get a withdrawal headache at surgery time. I also want to lose a few pounds before the surgery for my safety.