Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am SO struggling with a major sweet tooth. I have always had one so this is nothing new since lap band 6 months ago but goodness gracious me, I hate this, I literally crave somethings sweet all of the time, especially at night. I drink Water and only water with crystal light in it so that has artificial sweetner in it, don't know if that's causing the cravings or not. Can't stand plain water, I'm doomed! I didn't have to give up soda or anything like that I've always drank water. Now back to the sweets, I know some of you are saying don't have it in the house, well, since my untimely and devastating divorce last year I am forced to live with my 73 yr old mom, who is very active by the way but she keeps her candy around and I'm tempted and I cannot ask her to remove it, that would break my heart. I want to succeed on my journey and I know this is a head game with wanting, needing and eating but I think that is why I'm only down 50 lbs at 6 mos, I mean it could be more had my hand not been in the candy jar a time or 2! I know, I know, confession time here. I need help and advice. I love Oikos greek yogurt with the fruit in the bottom of it and that satisfies my sweet tooth and I keep that around all of the time and I do turn to that but when I grab that let's say 10:00 at night my mom nags me "are you eating again"? and this is the only snack I've had for the day along with 3 meals, it makes me feel guilty and a failure. I know she means well and is being my food police and my accountability partner in this journey but dang. Heck, maybe I am wrong for eating a snack like that at 10:00 at night.

Help!

have you tryed logging on paper or my fitness pal...maybe if you see it all in print it would help

Living with Mom at yours and her age is challenging, I currently have my daughter and her 18 month daughter living with us and she is 28 and it's a huge challenge.....lol

That said... Since I know your mom is your biggest supporter...maybe you could tell her how hard it is for you to know that candy is around....and she could keep it all in one place? Like her room under lock and key?...lol. if you don't want to do that... Then you are going just have to walk by it... I have a houseful of crap hubby loves and I don't eat and also have to cook every night of which I eat very little of. I just ignore it... I know it's hard sometimes but since your eye is on the bigger prize...it's just will power.

As for satisfying your sweet tooth... Every day almost during my losing stage I would have a sugar free pudding or a skinny cow ice cream bar. I logged it and counted it in my calories and that was my treat.... And it didn't effect my weight. Loss one bit.

Thank you Floridays, I feel comfortable with letting my mom know that and to keep it in her room UNDER LOCK & KEY!!! LOL. Good advice, thx. Also thank you for letting me know that while you were in the losing stage you allowed yourself one treat like sf treat or skinny cow ice cream, I can handle that.

Thanks both of you, I feel better. Thanks for your support.

That's a tough spot to be in. It sounds like your mother is trying to be supportive the way she knows how. But know that you have nothing to feel guilty for if you are having that 1 healthy snack a day. Guilt just makes us hide things or overeat. Would your mom let you replace her candy with healthier snack options? Could you take over grocery shopping duties for a while? I find fruit, Peanut Butter, yogurt, Protein Bars (chocolate or peanut butter flavor) and skinny cow ice creams help. Also tracking your meals and Snacks.< /p>

I too am living with my 79 year old mother. I plan to move closer to my daughter, her husband and my new granddaughter which are 3 hours away. I put my condo up for sale and never expected to sell it so quickly. So I stored everything and moved in with mom. She too has sweets and junk food. But it is her house and I can not expect her to give it up. My weakness are Cookies. She has a cookie jar full :(. So far I have done really well but sometimes it is hard. I think 50 lbs in 6 months is great. The sf puddings help me as we'll.

Thank you Floridays, I feel comfortable with letting my mom know that and to keep it in her room UNDER LOCK & KEY!!! LOL. Good advice, thx. Also thank you for letting me know that while you were in the losing stage you allowed yourself one treat like sf treat or skinny cow ice cream, I can handle that.

Thanks both of you, I feel better. Thanks for your support.

Donna, anything you can have in moderation is key. I don't deprive myself of anything. I also do not eat it every day. I do keep sucky candys around just in case, they are low in calories and sugar and you have to suck on them so they take longer. If I feel I don't have control I don't keep it in the house.

Like Floridays, I also had my 30 year old daughter living with me and my 6 year old granddaughter in my tiny apartment. They have moved out now, but they were with me for half a year. Yes, I had all types of junk here for the grandbaby. I managed I just had to have very very strong will power and as CG says 'want power'.

Tips: flavor you Water with fresh slices of fruit. I love putting slices of lemons, limes, and oranges in mine. (not all at once). LOL

Freeze yogurts, they last longer. Buy a big box of ice pops. I buy the fresh fruit ones they are thin and only 70 calories but its all natural juices. I do not do sugar free because the sweetners make me sick. I track everything so I can keep my eye out on my carb intake. If you can eat sugar free food stock up on the jellos and puddings. They can save you from making poor choices. And of course, when in doubt drink that Water that shoulf fill ya right up!

No real advice except to try the crystal light pure. It has no artificial anything, no chemicals, it's sweetened with flavor and not crap. It might help because there's no aspartame or other stuff in it. It comes in singles packets only, but you will find it next to the other crystal lite. :)

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions and your support. Tonight after eating a light dinner I was craving something sweet, as usual and I had some sf chocolate pudding in a cup that satisfied me, I think it was the sweet temptations choc mousse, anyway, it was yummy. Need to hit the grocery tomorrow for some chicken breasts as I'm down to one in the freezer and I'd like to make another crock pot of chicken taco Soup and you guys keep telling me to eat skinny cow ice cream. With that said, I'm not really an ice cream eater never have been but I do enjoy it if I eat it so I will also look for that in a flavor I will enjoy for myself and my mom. Since on my journey most times me and my mom will share meals because there's too much food especially when eating out and she has lost 15 lbs in all of this.

Somewhere on here I found a recipe for "protein drop" Cookies. It was one box sf cheesecake pudding box, I block of cream cheese and one egg. Mix that all up, do little spoonful drops onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes at 350 (I believe, I will have to double check the temp) they are wonderful little treats!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

No real advice except to try the crystal light pure. It has no artificial anything' date=' no chemicals, it's sweetened with flavor and not crap. It might help because there's no aspartame or other stuff in it. It comes in singles packets only, but you will find it next to the other crystal lite. :)[/quote']

I agree--Pure is excellent, especially grape. Just be aware it's a sports drink and it does have added electrolytes. I have issues with potassium because of my blood pressure meds so if I drink too many sports drinks I get heart palpitations. Harmless but really disconcerting.

With that said, I'm not really an ice cream eater never have been but I do enjoy it if I eat it so I will also look for that in a flavor I will enjoy

I prefer the bars because it's a controlled portions...they also have ice cream sandwhiches and fudge pops... I stay away from the cups of the actual ice cream because if I recall the whole thing is too many calories and I would eat the whole thing...lol

I know you can own this Donna.... Heck if I could do it...I KNOW you can. ;)

Donna, I also am not an ice cream fan. Not really a sweet fan at all. Since Wls though I've had a craving or two. Sometimes a sf hot cocoa can fix that. Also I got a sf hot chai tea mix that is awesome ( trader joes or world market I think) it is 70cal because of dehydrated milk but is so worth it! The pudding cups too are a god send.

My family has junk all around me. I've trained them well on how to tackle me if they see me reaching. But so far I haven't allowed my mind to go there! Ups and downs of sugar intake in the diet can make you really emotional too and I have enough of my own emotions to deal with without adding the cookie jar to my problems!

Hang in there!

Anything with artificial sweeteners will make you crave sugar. I use to hate to drink plain Water but it wasnt worth the risk since I am a sugar addict. Try adding chromium and b complex it will take the edge off the sugar cravings for sure.

Anything with artificial sweeteners will make you crave sugar. I use to hate to drink plain Water but it wasnt worth the risk since I am a sugar addict. Try adding chromium and b complex it will take the edge off the sugar cravings for sure.

Good to know Cheryl! I only drink hot tea and Water as a norm. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with the sugar cravings!