Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green zone?

Hey lap banders.. My names Dana I am 1 week and 2 days post op.. I joined this forum via iPhone app and was browsing threads tonight and see a lot of mention of being in the "green zone" just curious what that is?..May help me understand some of these posts more.. Ty!

I am also 1 week &2 days post-op. I have the same question.

When your swelling goes down from the surgery, you may find that you don't have any restriction in your eating at all and that you get hungry A LOT! This can be very disappointing if you're not prepared. As you go to the doctor and get your fills, it may take two or three or more until you feel restriction and can tell that the band it doing its job. When you reach the point that the band is doing a good job helping your control your portions and keeping you full, but it is not so tight that you're having trouble with reflux or keeping food down, then that is called the green zone.

Dr. O'Brien explains it well in this video. This is 1 of 4. If you are new, these are very informative and I recommend watching all 4. At the very least, watch this one and the "Green Zone" explanation is about 6 minutes into the video.

Thanks for sharing the video, it was very helpful.

Just wanted to point out that not everyone needs a fill. Some don't get filled at all, some a little and some take more. Everyone can be different.

I also have heard the green zone also called the "sweet spot" meaning you are eating a small portion(1-1/2c of healthy food), losing weight steadily 1-2 pounds per week, and satisfied between meals, with healthy Snacks. Water intake good. There is a chart I think someone posted.

Just had my third fill Thursday. Before this fill I could definitely eat whatever I wanted with no restriction. It was very frustrating not feeling restricted post op but you just have to be patient.

I also have heard the green zone also called the "sweet spot" meaning you are eating a small portion(1-1/2c of healthy food), losing weight steadily 1-2 pounds per week, and satisfied between meals, with healthy Snacks. Water intake good. There is a chart I think someone posted.

You are correct, couldn't said it better.

I had surgery on dec 17th my dr has me on purée and mushy foods for 5 weeks before I can eat solids.. I only had 24 hrs of liquids after surgery.. It's been almost 2 weeks out.. I obv have no Fluid in my band right now they said none for at least the first 5 weeks.. I am losing wt steadily I've lost 16 lbs since surgery and 42 prior on a 3 week Liquid Protein diet.. The only complaint I have is I only feel full for a short amount of time after eating.. Then I'm hungry again.. At this point I'm eating mainly only Proteins as meals.. I don't over eat because I fight the want to but it def bothers me being hungry all the time.. I guess it's something ill just have to get used to for a while.. Thanks again everyone for all the useful info tips hints and tricks !

Danarose-that is an awesome amount of loss!:)