Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating solids shortly after bandin

I was banded 12/15/12 and am 9 days post. I starting having solid foods at 3 days post cuz I just couldnt take the hunger anymore. I didnt eat much, maybe 1/4 cup worth through out the day but my surgeons office told me to stay on the liquid diet for at least the full week. I am wondering if anyone else started eating solids that early and if they went on to lose weigth successfully?

I didn't eat solids for 3 weeks per my drs instruction....It's not about losing weight right now it's about healing. Your body was invaded and a medical device was implanted..your stomach needs to heal. No matter how hungry you are you really should follow the drs instructions or you could do severe damage to your stomach and or band and then it's a whole other problem.

Best wishes finding the will power to get through this tough time.

Thanks so much for the response. I dont think I would be having a problem if there were more saline in the band but only have 1 cc at this point and the hunger is ridiculous. I can feel my stomach growling so much it hurts. Mostly I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and how they dealt with it. I'm not eating much but I know I shouldnt be eating anything and I know it can cause problems.

Thanks so much for the response. I dont think I would be having a problem if there were more saline in the band but only have 1 cc at this point and the hunger is ridiculous. I can feel my stomach growling so much it hurts. Mostly I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and how they dealt with it. I'm not eating much but I know I shouldnt be eating anything and I know it can cause problems.

Mines is growling but I realized its a combination of the pain meds and gas. I stopped the pain meds and it has decreased (growling) a lot. I can tell a big difference once I take the Pepcid.

Current pre-op wt 344 down 335.9

I know it can be difficult but PLEASE be careful.. you need time to heal and may do damage.

If you find your hungry drink Water...lots of Water.< /p>

It will get better.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

My dr doesn't fill the band during surgery either. In fact I was 2 months post op before I was given a fill. I think most bandsters go through it... It's shear willpower until those fills start kicking in!

I know it can be difficult but PLEASE be careful.. you need time to heal and may do damage.

If you find your hungry drink Water...lots of Water.< /p>

It will get better.

Tom' date=' Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs[/quote']

Hey Tom I'm from Burlington. Nice to see someone from Ontario.

My dr said at 9 days you can move up to mushies or puree food. Ei creamy Soups blended, cottage cheese, mash potatoes hummus etc. Along with lots of fluids and high Protein it should curb the appetite. Go to lapband.com there's recipes at every stage to give you a variety. Let your body heal.

Hey Wozzicat

I host a monthly coffee group the last Wednesday of the month in Burlington.

If you would like to e-mail me I can send you the details.

tomander@bell.net

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

wozzicat

Thank you so much everyone for responding to me. I have been pretty careful, even though it may sound like I am walking a fine line I have literally eaten less than a 1/4 cup of mushy types of foods over the coarse of a 12 hour period. I havent experienced any pain and have still taken in lots of fluids. I am 9 days post op and can eat mushies now so I think I will be fine. I was just curious if anyone had been sucessful in going on to reach their goal weight after struggling to begin with.

Just curious... it's been a long time since I was banded so things may have changed a bit but I was give a 4 week plan to follow afterward.... were you give a plan to follow with sample menus. I followd my sample menus to the letter (except for fish... I changed it to turkey or chicken)... I was self-pay so I was so afraid to go off the menu and have it fail.

week 1 - Clear liquids

week 2 - full fluids

week 3 - mushies

week 4 - solid food

I kept my food journal for 4 months when I started solid food I found it really helped... also I found going to a support group and talking to others really kept me on track. I also got weighed and measured every month with my family doctor. I still get weighed in every month with my family doctor and now I host 4 coffee group for bandsters.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Yes I was given that suggested post op directions and I followed them for the first 2 or 3 days but I just got to the point where it was like I just couldnt take it anymore. I may have made a mistake with going with the band cuz I thought I had a little more self control but Im learning I dont have as much as I thought. I will see how it goes over the next few months after my first fill. It sounds like it has been successful for you Tom. Thank you for the response.

I know you mean well, but what you're doing is extremely dangerous. The band is no minor procedure, and especially so early on, you need to be following doctors orders to the letter. After all the pain, time and money you just invested to have the surgery... why would you put yourself at risk? Any WLS requires willpower, but once you get past those first couple of months and are getting fills, it is much easier.

I don't want to sound preachy, but following the plan gives you your best chance at success with the band.

solid food can cause the band to slip. When the band slips it actually can tear a hole in your stomach because of the stitches. It's no joking matter.

And to answer your question, no I never ate solid foods in any quantity before I was instructed to do so by my surgeon. I didn't want to risk bleeding to death internally.