Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I Have A Leak?

Hi!

I've had my lapband since Feb 2nd of this year and haven't felt much restriction. I have had a total of 9 fills (maybe more) and yesterday, I got so frustrated, I asked my doctor to take EVERYTHING out and measure it. There SHOULD be a total of 9cc in my band, but he was only able to extract 4.3. He asked me to come in every week to keep an eye on it.

My question is, has anyone experienced anything similar to this or has heard of anything like this. I dont trust this doctor even though he is an expert in his field. Could there be a possibility that a few times when he has given me a fill, he hasn't hit the port and the saline and just gone straight to my dermis rather than my port? OR is this a true leak in the band? Where are the other 5 ccs that are suppose to be in my band!!?!?! No wonder I haven't lost any weight and have seriously been considering my decision in getting the band in the first place!

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

I dont know about a leak but I do know the Fluid does evaporate. I had 5.7ccs in my band and at my last fill he measured it and I was down .7ccs so no wonder I felt I needed a fill.

That said... I am not sure how long it would take for 4ccs to evaporate. I think thats pretty individual. But your Dr. seems to be monitoring it... so I wonder why you don't trust him. I think its highly unlikely he put the saline in the wrong place. The port is pretty easy to find.

As for not losing weight. During the time until you get in the green zone you must monitor your calories and take charge of your loss by eating proper portions and the correct foods. Even if your band isnt functioning properly you will still lose weight by reducing calories.

Granted you want your band to function so I would work with the Dr to find out what is going on.... and if for reasons you didnt mention it may be better for you to find a new physcian.

I dont understand why you would have 9 fills in less then a year. Fills should be sparing and not done every single time you go to the doctor. You have to have some control in this situation. Even if you have 4.3 cc's in your band you should have lost more then ten pounds. Just because you are not at restriction you still have to control what you eat. Even when you get to restriction you have to control what you eat. If he is in the port and not in the right spot the Fluid would not go in. It wouldnt go in to the skin because the port is a square disc with a sponge like middle. But they have to get to the line where the fluid goes. You could have a leak its not certain but I would think if you had a leak it all would have leaked out by now. Maybe he didnt put as much in there as you think he did. I dont know but you have to do some of this yourself. If you were up to 9 cc's what do you do when you get completely full. You have a life time with this thing.

My surgeon pulls out everything before refilling anything. Not sure what to tell you. But I agree with cheryl2586, somethings in not right. You, need to take control, too! Best wishes,Karen

I've had 9 fills because I feel no sort of restrictions. The 10lbs lost were lost all on my own (exercising, dieting etc). The lapband is suppose to be a "tool" to assist me in this journey. If I feel no restrictions, then WHY did I get it in the first place... if you were to diet all on your own, then why did you go through with the lap band surgery? You folks keep saying "take control of the situation yourself", then let me ask you, if you could have taken control, why didn't you do it on your own a very long time ago?

I say I don't trust this doctor because I feel like he is putting in less than he claims and asks me to come in every 3 weeks just so he could receive payment (since i'm paying $120 out of pocket each visit). Thats why I said I dont trust him. He claims to put in .5-1cc each time, but I think in actuality he's been putting in .2ccs. Why else would I have 4ccs total, when I'm suppose to have 9 by now. Theres either a leak, severe evaporation, or a scam on his part!

Fills are not going to give you complete restriction of what you are thinking. It is only supposed to keep you full for four hours on a cup or less of food. If you think its going to make you lose weight all on its own its not. It doesnt matter what you think the lapband is still a diet and you have to control your portions sizes yourself. Its not going to stop you from eating a large portion of food if you want it. I think your using it incorrectly is the problem. You don't eat until your full you eat until your satisfied. If you had 9 cc's in your band in less then a year what would you do after you lose weight? The band would get loose and you would have no way to tighten it. I have lost 108lbs with no exercise. I don't think you're understanding completely the concept of the band. If you can go 3 to 4 hours without being hungry then its doing its job.

I also think you're not understanding exactly what restriction is. Its not stopping you from eating its keeping you full for longer periods. Restriction that you're thinking is making you eat less food. It will not do that.

I also think you're not understanding exactly what restriction is. Its not stopping you from eating its keeping you full for longer periods. Restriction that you're thinking is making you eat less food. It will not do that.

Wow how long did it take you to loose all that weight

A year and a half

Not too sure how the band could suffer from evaporation as it is a fully sealed unit. But I have heard of bands/tubes that leak so that could be your issue.

Why not ask your surgeon if there are any tests he can do to show a leak? That would give you peace of mind.

My take on restriction (based on personal experience) is that I feel satisfied on smaller portions of food for longer periods of time. I could eat more if I wanted to, but part of this journey has been about learning to listen to my body so I have stopped eating when I recognise that I am satisfied. My surgeon always asks how long before I get hungry again as part of our decision on whether I need another fill or not.

Not sure how many cc's I have but I have had four fills in 18 months - expecting to get another fill in a couple of weeks and hoping to kick start my weight loss again. Currently at 63kg in in 18 months.Would like to lose another 10kg.

Sage, ask your doctor how much he/she is putting in the band. It's your body. Also ask your doctor what size do you have, 10cc,12cc,14cc.

Hi, this seems strange, but 9 fills doesn't mean 9 CC. Having 1 cc in a fill is a lot. Usually they will only put in .25 .50 maybe up to 1 but no more than that. There is also a bit in the band when they first place it. But 9 CC would be a lot. You may want to try and have a fill done under fluoroscope. That way you can actually see how the band is working and how the flow is! I am really surprised that most Dr. Don't have this equipment. It is expensive but so very important. Because many people are actually too tight and that is harmful and not good for weight loss.

Anyway, I don't think that it could evaporate, Due ask him how much is in their, my dr also checks each time to see how much is in the band they don't just add more. Good luck.

Ross The Boss

Sage, ask your doctor how much he/she is putting in the band. It's your body. Also ask your doctor what size do you have, 10cc,12cc,14cc.

Fair point about it being my body and I know that I only have to ask to find out how much fill I have. I actually don't care about the number but I do care about and understand the effect of being properly filled and not overfilled. My surgeon and I discuss each time how I am going, how much I eat, how long before I feel hungry again etc. We also discuss and agree on whether I should have a fill or not but generally I bow to his expertise and experience on how much fill. I have had several appointments where I have gone in knowing that I would be refusing a fill but I have never missed a follow up appointment. I believe that is a major factor in long term success with the band - the ongoing relationship between patient and surgeon.

Oops! That comes across as being a bit up myself, doesn't it! Sorry about that.

I do make poor food choices from time to time, I know that my weight loss has stalled in the last couple of months because of that.

I'm sorry your going through that. I have 9.5cc in my 10cc band. I was banded may 23 and have lost 53lbs. I have not really excersized much. My point being is the band is a tool but keeping up on your fills like you have been the band should be doing most of the work for you. I mean dont get me wrong I think everyone of us has adjusted to our new eating habbits. My guess is you could have a leak and as far as the doctor scamming you I really hope thats not the case but if its not a leak then maybe. I would try and find out if its a leak and its not see another doctor and ask him why your not filled as much as you thought because if you had been filled that much it probally would have been pretty smooth sailing. Honestly the band should be helping alot and the fact that its not would make me concerned if it was me. All I can really say is be proactive ask questions and if need be seek a second, even third opinion on the matter. This is your journey and you deserve to have a doctor who can explain to you the cause, reasons and solutions. Good luck