Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another ? about Mexico for the ladies

Those of you who went alone...was it scary or did you feel ok about everything? My husband wants to go, but I would rather him stay here with our kids. He is petrified of sending me off to Mexico alone. By the way, I am planning surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana.< /p>

Miper, not sure I would go alone. I tried to get my husband to go with me and take the kids so we could go shopping after, but he doesn't want to fly with them.

I'm taking my m-i-l (which I love dearly) and we are going to go shopping on Sat after my surgery on Friday:madgrin:

My husband was banded with Dr. Ortiz in TJ. First of all, you will love him. I don't like to travel alone, but I have no problem going to TJ. His staff is very nice, once you get picked up at the airport, you won't be left alone in any strange place. You are taken to the Dr. office and then to the hotel. I think they have 2 or 3 restaurants in the hotel (very nice hotel). So if you are still worried about going out, just eat in. The only thing that I will tell you is to take only the taxi cabs that the hotel recomends (I think they were the blue cabs). Just in case you forget something in the cab, they will return it. I also felt safer knowing the hotel recoemnded them. There is also an open shopping mall a few blocks away, you can walk or may $2 for the cab fare. For the clasic MX stuff, go to Calle Revolucion, just carry small bills so you can bargin with the locals and have fun!!

I went to Monterrey by myself and my dh stayed home with the kids. Don't go by yourself. Privately e-mail me if you want details, but it just isn't a good idea to go to a foreign country alone and have surgery. You need someone with you.

I flew with my DH and DD, they stayed with family in CA while I did the over the border thing solo. I had them close to help if I needed it, but didn't have to 'mommy' my little girl when I couldn't move so well.

American cash is great, just bring smaller bills too. You may end up getting change in pesos. Easy conversion for border towns (just divide pesos by ten) $100 phone card costs $10 US. Have fun and bring Water.< /span>

I went by myself and felt absolutely comfortable. I went to Calle Revolucion the day after my surgery and had no qualms whatsoever. I looked at it like a challenge and I didn't feel guilty about resting when needed. My mom and my daughter will be returning with me when I have my fill. I recommend you bargain heavily at Calle Revolucion and wait to be invited into the back rooms, that's where the good stuff is. (I typically paid 25-40 percent of the first price mentioned. Don't be afraid to say no).

I am from New York and I just got surgery Friday in TJ, right now I am staying with a friend in San Diego resting by her pool. I went with my sister who is a doctor, too and I was glad to have her with me. I am a bit of a worry wort and wanted to ease my anxiety.

That being said, I could have seen doing it on my own and I saw others who had done it alone. Dr. Ortiz' new facility is immaculate and state of the art and the hotel was very nice. They take care of you fairly well and the area by the hotel was pleasant. Still it is so nice to have another person there with you to lift heavy stuff, keep you company and to generally reassure you. I paid for my sister's flight (she came from Iowa) and it was worth every penny.

I went to Mexico because I am not covered by insurance for weight loss surgery and couldn't afford to be charged indiscriminately for every little thing.

In Mexico you are given a set price, which includes lab fees, a consult with a nutritionist, surgery, anesthesia, pre-op medication, post-op pain medication, one night in the hospital and two nights in a fine hotel, transportation to and from the airport/hotel for one simple fee.

:ban: In addition, your fill appointments are only $100.00.:wow2:

I don't doubt it would have cost me more than triple if I had gone through an American hospital.

Dr. Ortiz is also a leader in this field and teaches the doctors in America, as well as other countries, how to perform this procedure. He's also dreamy...

Kathy,

I had surgery in Mexico for the same reason, not covered. My insurance had added a written exclusion while I was completing my requirements. I had done all the documentation, nutritional consults, testing, sleep studies, and met the physical requirements two times over (BMI 52 with multiple comorbidities). When I got my denial in the mail, I called around and found that the exclusion had been added that same month. It was not yet even in issued print. Bites. So, I couldn't NOT get surgery. I took comfort in all the extra experience the Mex. docs have. They have been banding years longer.

I would have made the cutoff if I hadn't had to wait almost 6 mos. for my sleep study. rackin' frackin' Group Health, grr...