Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed Big Time

my thoughts on this is that regardless of what surgery you chose RnY or LB you still need to try to eat healthier for the sake of your future.. for nutrients, and strength.

There are plenty of filling substitutes that would help you lose weight no matter what plan you chose. I know this sounds like somethng you wouldnt want to hear.. but at a fast food restaurant, chose the grilled or fried chicken salad and if your still hungry get a chili, or a plain ice cream cone.

At Taco Bell get the caesar salad taco. At chipotle get the bowl. If you want to fill full and you know you cant help put to over due it, overdue it with all nutritious things. If they are nutritious and the band wont let you choke them down.. voila! weight will be melting off.

just no more greasy things.

my thoughts on this is that regardless of what surgery you chose RnY or LB you still need to try to eat healthier for the sake of your future.. for nutrients, and strength.

There are plenty of filling substitutes that would help you lose weight no matter what plan you chose. I know this sounds like somethng you wouldnt want to hear.. but at a fast food restaurant, chose the grilled or fried chicken salad and if your still hungry get a chili, or a plain ice cream cone.

At Taco Bell get the caesar salad taco. At chipotle get the bowl. If you want to fill full and you know you cant help put to over due it, overdue it with all nutritious things. If they are nutritious and the band wont let you choke them down.. voila! weight will be melting off.

just no more greasy things.

Huh? Shaking my head and re-reading.

Huh? Rubbing my eyes and re-reading.

HUH? Fried chicken salad? Ice cream cone? What are you thinking?

So, uh, fried chicken and ice cream aren't greasy on your planet then? LOL

LOL remember.. im not banded!

i was just pointing out to her.. that if she is going to eat bad things might as well be only half bad.. like grilled or fried chicken pieces on top of a salad.. or a plain icecream at 240 calories (mcdonalds) instead of a 800 calorie mcflurry

Just wanted to say that yes, the band is supposed to help make us feel fuller. I still have not found the "sweet spot", actually I have no restriction yet. However, I am trying to change my eating habits. I used to eat 4 "bad" unhealthy meals a day, now I eat 2-3.... I also joined weight watchers, and i am journaling to help me with my journey. Also, I am trying to exercise more. What can I tell you? We MUST keep trying! The band is only one of MANY elements we must change to be able to achieve optimal success! Do not focus on the band, try and change small things at a time. Do not get discourage! Some people are very critical but you must remember that to succeed we must go through the pains of change. For those of you who are feeling down for not loosing the weight, YET, Please do not blame yourself for what you have done. RIGHT NOW (this present moment) IS THE ONLY THING WE HAVE, WE CAN WORK ON THE POWER OF NOW!!!!!! Be conscious and aware of the present and start your day visualizing the best for you. Please start choosing Proteins and vegetables, EXERCISE helps alot to use your energy in a positive way.

WE CAN DO THIS! WE CAN SUCCEED:clap2:

If you don't even know what a RNY or a DS is, I don't think it is a good idea to go for a bypass. They ARE Bypasses.

Do your research or you are setting yourself up to fail. You need someone (a doc, or nutrionalist) to clue you in on the band.

Obviously somewhere there was a major breakdown of communication, unless this is a drive-by posting....

edited to add this was directed to BBD or BPD, whichever it was...

Another band-to-DS'er here ever-so-slightly tweaking some definitions. The RnY is a primarily restrictive but somewhat malabsorptive procedure. The DS is a primarily malabsorptive but somewhat restrictive procedure. They both "bypass" stuff, but they work very differently. (The band, of course, is purely restrictive.)

However, while the band and RnY people DO have to make more "intelligent" food choices...what constitutes intelligent for the DS person is changed, right along with the anatomy. For example, EVERY MORNING, I eat an egg (sometimes two), and some cheese (usually in an omelette, but if not, I melt it on the toast), and bacon or ham, and toast with Peanut Butter or cheese (on non-omelette days.)

My cholesterol is 119, my triglicerides are 117, my HDL is 64, my LDL is 32, and my VLDL is 23. (And all my other stuff is pretty good, too.) The REALLY intelligent choices that Rachele and I have to make involve taking our supplements and not going ape-shit on carbs. (And shit is the appropriate word, given what MOST DSer's bowels DO with a carb overdose.) And, in an attempt to not blame the victims, some DS people make all the right choices and STILL have deficiencies. But a few. Just like a few banded people have stomach necrosis, where the band kills the stomach.

Back to the topic...if you had/are thinking about wls without knowing all about what the various procedures are then you CAN NOT HAVE MADE AN INTELLIGENT CHOICE ABOUT WHICH IS RIGHT FOR YOU. Even if you do know, it can be a crap-shoot...but at least you can hit the ground running when you find yourself in difficulty.

So anyone who had RnY because Carnie did--or the band because Sharon Osborne did--had better be someone with outrageously good luck.

Back to the topic at hand...

Vanhos, given your history and the choices available, the band may be your only option other than dieting. And, if the band is not causing you any problems, then it would seem worth it to regroup and try again. If you ARE having complication, your next step would be a REALLY experienced DS guy...one who has done revisons from band and RnY--or flying solo.

good luck to you!

Ive only lost 17 pounds since Dec 2004! wish Id lost 50 pounds see someone else is always worse off then yourself....I wish Id never had it done ok.....Im in pain and throw up everything I try and eat...But what I still don't lose weigh doesn't make since does it...since the operation I eat 90% less food but hey still no great lose......so sad.......Gail:faint:

Vanhos - I can understand your dissappointment in comparing yourself to others who are losing faster - but you really should be proud of yourself for your loss!!!

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with GERD based on a scope test. She is now on medication and the gas pains, nausea, and difficulty eating are gone. These were issues that made banded life miserable for her, but with one test and only a few days on medication, her life completely turned around. I would definately speak with your doctor - I am not trying to scare you or diagnose you, but your issue could be something that can be easily identified and treated.

No, the band is not for everyone, and I am sorry that you are dissappointed in its results. But your choices are to (1) have it removed (and possibly have another WLS?) (2) Do nothing or (3) Make the most of what you've been given. You've already experienced success - have faith that you can continue that! No matter what you choose, please be sure to continue seeking medical assistance to alleviate your pain. I wish you the best of luck and continued success!

I guess the big part of the problem with me was that I never overate because of hunger. Feeling fuller longer, I should have known, was not the cure for me. I need a brain bypass. I play so many games with myself when it comes to food.

I must say that I would gain weight faster if it weren't for the band. For that reason I am not totally disappointed. I have been dieting with a dietician and working out at a gym with a trainer 2x a week since March and have lost 9lbs. It's something, and I am thankful for it.