Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Expectations

I had a follow-up with my surgeon yesterday, I'm about 4 1/2 months out. I was nervous for the appointment because my weight loss has essentially stopped over the past 6 weeks. I'm going between the same 3 lbs for what seems like ever.

He came in and asked how I was doing, and I decided from the get-go to be honest; I told him, not good. He asked why, said that I looked great. I told him that the weight loss had stopped and I've tried EVERYTHING. Eating by the book. Eating more. Lately, eating less. Exercising more. Exercising less. Not exercising at all. I told him that I felt like I was never going to reach my goal at this rate, my back was against the wall and I had no idea what to do.

He asked me what my goal was, and I told him 160 lbs. He said that was reasonable. Between my last appointment 5 weeks ago and yesterday, I had only lost 3.8 lbs but overall, from my first consult with him in May I was down 48 lbs (53 since the start of my program). He said that losing over 50 lbs in 5 months was remarkable. My body was most likely in shock-mode from the loss and that I just need to ride it out. Stick to the eating plan, stick to cardio over weight training if I preferred, and be patient. He said at 4 months, I'm at where I should be statistcally at 9 months to a year post-op. I got a 1/2 cc fill, bringing me up to 6 1/2 cc's in my 11 cc band. He was confident that I was at or very, very close to the green zone, and I should see results if I stick to the plan.

So I left the office reassured. I feel good about the upcoming months, and know that if I just stick to the plan eventually my body will get the message and I can meet my goal. I know I have high expecations of myself; the last person in the world I like dissapointing is myself. But my thinking that I was going to lose 2-4 lbs a week for the duration until I hit goal was probably silly. So I've adjusted me expectations.

If you're feeling really let-down or discouraged, try stopping and asking yourself if your expectations are realistic, or maybe they're too high for what your body can handle.

Good advice! Your doc seems really caring! Best wishes!

Great surgeon. Good luck with the rest of your weight. You'll continue to do great.

Best wishes :)

Thanks ladies. I do have a wonderful surgeon. Unfortuantely, he's reloacting cities, if I want to see him it will be about a 30 minute drive. Trying to decide if I want to do the drive or see one of his partners. I chose him above the other two because he was the least anti-lapband. The others were very pro-sleeve. I think he's worth the drive.

Thanks ladies. I do have a wonderful surgeon. Unfortuantely, he's reloacting cities, if I want to see him it will be about a 30 minute drive. Trying to decide if I want to do the drive or see one of his partners. I chose him above the other two because he was the least anti-lapband. The others were very pro-sleeve. I think he's worth the drive.

Granted this is strictly my personal opinion, but I'd totally make the 30 drive to continue seeing him. Good doctors who actually care are becoming more and more rare. When you find one, as you have, I'd hold onto him at all costs.

Totally unrelated to Lap Band but I drive an hour to see my neurologist. It sucks for sure, but he's wonderful both as a doctor and as a person so it's worth it to me to make the drive.

Congratulations on your WL! Your Dr does sound like a keeper. If it makes you feel better I'm 30 mins from my Dr too :/

Sounds like you are doing fabulous!! My surgeon is 3 hours away. So 30 mins sounds like a drop in the bucket to me! :)