Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:help:ANYONE OUT THERE HAS AETNA MANAGED CHOICE....I HAVE NOT YET APPLIED. JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAD TO DEAL WITH AETNA AND IF THEY GAVE PROBLEMS.

Cindy, you will not be happy to hear that Aetna is possibly the least band-friendly insurer out there, outside of plans with full exclusions for bariatric surgery. Do you know if your plan has such an exclusion? That's the first question to ask.

If it doesn't and you have one of Aetna's standard plans, you may still have a fight ahead of you. Here are the first questions you have to answer:

1. Are you medically qualified for bariatric surgery? (That is, is your BMI over 40? Or is it over 35 and you have medical conditions caused by your weight?)

2. Do you have medical conditions that would make RNY surgery unadvisable? RNY gastric bypass is still Aetna's preferred treatment, but they will allow banding under certain circumstances if you have contraindications for bypass.

3. Have you been trying to lose weight under a doctor's supervision for at least six months? If you haven't the first thing you MUST do tomorrow is make an appointment with your primary care doctor to talk about your weight. Get medical and exercise advice (no doubt they'll have it all printed up to hand you) and make a plan to visit at least twice a month for the next six months to check in and get weighed. This is REQUIRED by Aetna and you can't move forward if you're not under a PCP's care for this already.

4. What state are you in? Some states have better than protections that others when it comes to medical decisions being made by insurance carriers. It's not true for every state, but if you are in NY, NJ, CT or CA I know Aetna has been forced to pay on third-party review. I'm sure there are other states with such protections; call your state department of health to find out if you do.

Good luck!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches