Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slippage With Plication?

Hello everyone,

Just have a question.....

I have been reading a lot about band slippage, re-banding multiple times.....

I am wondering, the individuals who are experiencing the slippage, were your band plicated? From my understanding, the plication is done to prevent slippage.

Any of you out there who were plicated and still experienced slippage?

I will be banded in less a week or so, and my Dr. says I will be plicated....but my mind was at ease knowing it will help with not having a slipped band....just worrying a bit lol.....

What is plication?

A little off topic, Nurselydss , did you ask to have the plication or is Dr. Cobourn just does the procedure? And if so, how much more did it cost?

Thanks

A little off topic, Nurselydss , did you ask to have the plication or is Dr. Cobourn just does the procedure? And if so, how much more did it cost?

Thanks

He just does it generally, no extra cost...but I assume if a patient does not one it, they would have to request not to have it, but he highly recomends it.

Thanks , I'm currently looking into it and I have no problem having it....He did not mention it when I last spoke to him, so I thought that maybe you need to ask for it..Thanks again for a quick reply and looking forward to reading your post-op report:)

What is plication?

They take part of the stomach tissue ( not sure if they go from below the band or above the band and stitch it over the band to create a tunnel to secure the band into position.

sutures are placed to hold the Lap-Band in place and prevent it from sliding into a less optimal position (band slippage). It's mostly to secure the band in place.

Thanks , I'm currently looking into it and I have no problem having it....He did not mention it when I last spoke to him, so I thought that maybe you need to ask for it..Thanks again for a quick reply and looking forward to reading your post-op report:)

He did not mention it either, but I sent him a long email with questions...lol...and taht was one of them. I also asked him about which band he uses and what size I would be getting...cause they have 2 sizes....he answered all and so forth....sometimes they forget to mention things, but upon my research and reading what others posts, I created a long list of questions and emailed him....

Okay, I'm sorry I misunderstood...I thought plication was when they fold the stomach, I believe staple it and then place the lap band at the top, almost like a sleeve but without the cutting? ...I thought that's what we were talking about ....Some Lap Band doctors are performing this proceedure

Okay, I'm sorry I misunderstood...I thought plication was when they fold the stomach, I believe staple it and then place the lap band at the top, almost like a sleeve but without the cutting? ...I thought that's what we were talking about ....Some Lap Band doctors are performing this proceedure

I saw that too...so now i'm confused lol...but when I spoke with him, he said nothing about folding the rest of the stomach as a sleeve...he mentioned to keep it in place for less possibility of having a slippage....you know what, I am going to email him today, once I get an answer, I will let you know.

Cool.... I'm aware how he anchors the band to the stomach, I just wasn't aware how it was called..... Thanks for letting me know, when u know:)

my surgeon stated (it could help reduce the rate of slippage) but my friend missy is right, even though i have the plicaton, the band rules still apply. (also lowers the need for fills as often-again from my surgeon and others may have their own opinions) but i find its working for me and dont regret for on moment in getting the plication

my surgeon stated (it could help reduce the rate of slippage) but my friend missy is right, even though i have the plicaton, the band rules still apply. (also lowers the need for fills as often-again from my surgeon and others may have their own opinions) but i find its working for me and dont regret for on moment in getting the plication

Hi Carolinagirl....

I'm curious to know how was your plication done? Cause I'm finding out there are 2 different procedures people are referring to as plication....

1. was the rest of your stomach Stapled similar to a sleeve or 2. did they use portion of your stomach either from bellow or above the band and stitch it to secure the band? I was under the impression that the plication was option #2.

with plication, to my knowledge, there is not staples. just sutures. (but again i am not a dr and can only relay what i know and my experience)

What is generally referred to as plication is when they fold the stomach in on itself to create a smaller stomach like a sleeve but without cutting it off and throwing it away.

Taking a section of the stomach and stitching it in place up over the band to help secure it and help prevent it from slipping is standard practice when banding and is not generally referred to as a plication.